Airdrieonians vs Clyde (McCabeball vs Dannyball)

Well we needed a reaction after last time out and we certainly got one! Thought there wasn't much between the teams in the first-half. We probably played the better football through Telfer and Frizzell but we're still far too loose with the ball and slack defensively at times for my liking. We were lucky the times Clyde did get in and around our area they either had a terrible final ball or finish or Henderson pulled off some cracking saves (again). Jamieson's goal was strange but amusing. Delighted that he got his goal. He can be a frustrating player but he's a quality player too and he works hard. It was a deserved and much needed goal. Likewise for Smith and his double and I thought he was very good overall today with his hold and linkup play. Looking forward to watching the third goal back. As soon as the second went in  Clyde more-or-less chucked it/fell to bits and it was a bit of a canter from that point onwards. Lovely goal from Gabby. I was giving him a bit of stick, for that miss especially 😂 but it was a nice run and finish. Gal would still be the starting centre-forward for me though. Nice to see McMaster back on the pitch and to see Salim notch another goal too. Hopefully a few more late goals from corners to come this season! Hope both guys and Wylie get the chance to start next week and hopefully show a bit more of what they can do. Thought ATS was absolutely fine defensively and with the ball at his feet. Would maybe give him a chance at left-back as Deveney struggled today. 

Overall a great win, wiped out the dent to the goal difference made a couple of weeks ago and the other results in the division were largely positive for us. Just need the home kits now ;)♦️

Lost 4 in a row conceding 13 goals. Same pattern every week, missing our chances at one end and letting in cheap goals at the other. I was buzzing after the performance at QOTS but sadly that’s been a major outlier and things seem to be getting worse each week. Need a turn around quick or it’s time up for Lennon imo.

Positives; Ray Grant, Ross Cunningham and Euan Cameron. I also thought Sula had a good first half and regardless of the desire to change system etc, was completely baffled that he was taken off. 

We were probably as unlucky with the opening goal as you can be (can't really comment on the decision either way without seeing it back) but going in at half-time behind was more down to Allan missing two great chances; contrast those with the standard of Airdrie's finishing after the break. Airdrie had started well and should have scored early on but I thought we settled down well and possibly ended up edging the opening half. 

Changing to a back three at the break would ultimately cost us but we were still well in the game up to the second goal. Airdrie's front three are just too mobile to play those three centre halves against though. On another day Thicot maybe gets a foul for the fourth one but the truth is we were all over the place and could possibly have ended up conceding six or seven. McLean hasn't been poor but he was woeful today.

That group of players is not without flaw but they're far better than shipping 9 goals in two games. Lennon at the moment has no idea what team we should be starting with and is trying to shoehorn four centre halves into the team when only two should be playing. He needs to pick a way of playing and stick with it.

Firstly and importantly credit to all for the respect shown by all at the minutes silence today,   

onto the game, Airdrie started in typical fast fashion,  Telfer and Frizz dominating the middle of the park,  Clyde had no real shape apart from defend your own half until Airdrie over play it, which happened numerous times,  we are still very open and easy to attack,   do we get enough workrate and quality off LJ, Smith and Gabby,  debatable, personally I would play 2 of the 3 and play another midfield player...  First half we seemed a bit nervy, we scored a goal against the run of play at the time,  what happened was the ball deflected into he path of LJ, with the lino flagging for offside....I

Second half we were better Gabby scored a good goal to settle us down,  is he good enough though. ????   Callum Smith came alive and  scored a couple of good goals,  it's amazing how the touch comes back when you are riding teams,  is Sal back in contention for a starting spot, he can hold the ball up better than Gabby and LJ...

Good debuts by Telfer and the already written off by many ATS,     Good morale boosting victory,   but we can play a helluva lot better than that.....

6 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Surely Deveney won't come out for the 2nd half. A complete catalogue of errors!

4 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Harsh to criticise players after a 5-0 win but Watson and Deveney had a few howlers each. Not completely convinced by Taylor-Sinclair but he was fine. .

3 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Thought ATS was absolutely fine defensively and with the ball at his feet. Would maybe give him a chance at left-back as Deveney struggled today. 

Seems to be a bit of a pile on with regards to Euan Deveney. I thought that he performed well overall, although there were a few minor errors which could be attributed to his youth. In fact I don't think we were troubled overly much on our left at all. Neither of the centre backs were particularly impressive, especially Fordyce who seems to be immune from criticism but his overall play is becoming more troublesome each game. I'm not too confident about him and ATS showing well against more impressive forward lines.

Seems to be a bit of a pile on with regards to Euan Deveney. I thought that he performed well overall, although there were a few minor errors which could be attributed to his youth. In fact I don't think we were troubled overly much on our left at all. Neither of the centre backs were particularly impressive, especially Fordyce who seems to be immune from criticism but his overall play is becoming more troublesome each game. I'm not too confident about him and ATS showing well against more impressive forward lines.
Agree to an extent about Euan Deveney, I've generally always stuck up for him. He did make a massive mistake giving the ball away on the by like which nearly led to a goal. And his decision making going foreard didnt quite work for him today. But I thought he was fine overall. I'd actually say the full defence didn't look comfortable on the ball, few times Watson and Dycey let the ball bounce and misjudged it. Need to improve for playing better teams, but still, 5-0 win and can enjoy the Saturday night knowing it's 3 points.

After last season I hope we absolutely batter Clyde.

Well I got my wish at least.

I thought we were poor for a lot of that game today, but our quality shone through in the end.

Telfer looked really good and will fit into our team well. I don’t think ATS is going to improve the team at all, but he should be okay as cover.

I really don’t like Jamieson’s attitude, it seems totally at odds to the rest of the team. He’s a player that’s great when you’re 3-0 up, but not somebody I’d be relying on if we’re up against it.

Young goalie did well as well again today, albeit his kicking could improve.

Fantastic to see Smith back on the scoresheet as he’s been off the boil for a few weeks.

A couple of games left of the first quarter of the season and we’re looking in decent shape. Still a few gears to go through as well.

3 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

Lost 4 in a row conceding 13 goals. Same pattern every week, missing our chances at one end and letting in cheap goals at the other. I was buzzing after the performance at QOTS but sadly that’s been a major outlier and things seem to be getting worse each week. Need a turn around quick or it’s time up for Lennon imo.

Clyde played very well that day but we put in what has become a standard home performance  i.e. we were absolutely dire. 

We won 4-1 at home today. Now that is an outlier. 

2 hours ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Still a few gears to go through as well.

These are my thoughts exactly. Not in the country at the minute so didn’t get to the game, but the matches I’ve watched this season I’ve always thought we are missing chances at one end and culpable for a sliced clearance or skewed header at the other. But I suppose the league table doesn’t lie, does it? Let’s see how it goes for another few weeks.

Edited by Rhys McCabe Hype Train

Didn't think there was much in that first half to be honest, our young keeper making a couple of decent stops should get his confidence growing, I will echo the comments which said his kicking could do with work, but if that's a sacrifice to be keeping clean sheets then I'll take it! Both sides also hitting the woodwork, Clyde's from a nice quick attack and a snapshot, ours from a bizarre sliced clearance following a decent attack.

As soon as the teams came out from half time I said to my mate, "looks like they've went to a back 3", and his reply .... "Airdrie will have a field day now". He wasn't wrong. For all we were ok, Clyde defensively were atrocious. Is McClean (sp?) Actually finished or was that just a bad day at the office for him? Looked like he was running through treacle in some of the footraces yesterday. Grant at left back I was disappointed we never ran at a bit more, I think someone like Frizzell attacking him that first half would have been better, but only IMO of course. I'll be honest, I was in the "McGill off" camp at half time, I just felt that first half bypassed him for all his effort it just wasn't happening, but credit where it's due, one thing you'll never get from Gabby is laziness and he plugged away and got his reward so fair play.

Smith was MOM for me yesterday, him and Frizzell were head and shoulders above any other players on that park, I'd like to see the stats of the "km's run" for them both as the ground they cover is ridiculous. Telfer had a great debut, taylor-sinclair was "fine", clean sheet, minutes under the belt, but there will be harder tests for him to come.

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

It's got to be said, fair play to Agent Allan for bucking the age old trend of ex Airdrie players scoring against Airdrie!

No harm to Allan but I thought him getting clapped off yesterday was a bit much. He's hardly Owen Coyle! 

15 hours ago, Passionate said:

Firstly and importantly credit to all for the respect shown by all at the minutes silence today,   

onto the game, Airdrie started in typical fast fashion,  Telfer and Frizz dominating the middle of the park,  Clyde had no real shape apart from defend your own half until Airdrie over play it, which happened numerous times,  we are still very open and easy to attack,   do we get enough workrate and quality off LJ, Smith and Gabby,  debatable, personally I would play 2 of the 3 and play another midfield player...  First half we seemed a bit nervy, we scored a goal against the run of play at the time,  what happened was the ball deflected into he path of LJ, with the lino flagging for offside....I

Second half we were better Gabby scored a good goal to settle us down,  is he good enough though. ????   Callum Smith came alive and  scored a couple of good goals,  it's amazing how the touch comes back when you are riding teams,  is Sal back in contention for a starting spot, he can hold the ball up better than Gabby and LJ...

Good debuts by Telfer and the already written off by many ATS,     Good morale boosting victory,   but we can play a helluva lot better than that.....

Smith and Gal would be the starters every week for me. TBF I think the one thing you're guaranteed from Smith, Gabby and Jamieson is work-rate. Gabby and Jamieson can be frustrating/inconsistent though but Smith was MotM IMO yesterday. Agreed on Salim's holdup play. I'm not sure he entirely fits into our style of play but it's good having him as an option off the bench. Would like to see him start the Challenge Cup game next week along with McMaster and Wylie. Good opportunity for Henderson, Telfer and ATS to get more minutes too. 

For a 5-0 win that was a strange performance with many players not at their best and we were really carried by Henderson, Frizzell, Telfer & Smith. ATS had a decent debut without looking like he's going to be big asset and Devenny was ok'ish but the rest were average to poor. 

On the plus side it's always a good sign when you win when not at your best but that probably says more about Clyde than us.

McCabe stated in the post match interview that he had a migraine hence why he was on the bench so perhaps Telfer might not have started so it will be interesting how they both fit in the starting 11.

Overall this was a great fixture after the FC Edinburgh debacle.

Edited by Kenny_m