Airdrieonians vs Clyde (McCabeball vs Dannyball)

Hopefully with creating this thread, it doesn't result in a postponement like last weeks one.

Onto the game, hopefully we can be able to bounce back from the FC Edinburgh game and that was a one off.

Would like to see Telfer start and make his debut along side Justin Devenny and Frizzell with the gaffer dropping to centre half to allow Euan Deveney back in at left back.

What can we expect from the Bully Wee? A mixed bag of results, excellent 4-1 win away at QOS with a disappointing 4-2 defeat off of Alloa. Can we expect free flowing attacking football? Sh*thousing a way to a draw after being battered? Danny's kit man hiding the ball in the dugout like the 1-1 draw from last season? Or a 5-0 pumping?

If one thing is certain, Jordan Allan will end up being on the scoresheet, which means at the other end, hopefully Jamieson breaks his duck.

The difference this year is we're competing and creating chances in every game but have just been wasteful particularly in our recent run of defeats, and we're still guilty of individual errors leading to goals conceded. 

8-3 Airdrie

The difference this year is we're competing and creating chances in every game but have just been wasteful particularly in our recent run of defeats, and we're still guilty of individual errors leading to goals conceded. 
8-3 Airdrie
Your ability to create loads of chances but not put them away sounds very similar to myself. Thought it might of been pre season rustiness to start with, but seems more a real problem. Do expect a tougher challenge from Clyde. Probably will get a lot of joy with Allan and Cunningham pressing us if we fanny around playing out from the back too much. Will be an interesting game.

43 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Hopefully with creating this thread, it doesn't result in a postponement like last weeks one.

Onto the game, hopefully we can be able to bounce back from the FC Edinburgh game and that was a one off.

Would like to see Telfer start and make his debut along side Justin Devenny and Frizzell with the gaffer dropping to centre half to allow Euan Deveney back in at left back.

What can we expect from the Bully Wee? A mixed bag of results, excellent 4-1 win away at QOS with a disappointing 4-2 defeat off of Alloa. Can we expect free flowing attacking football? Sh*thousing a way to a draw after being battered? Danny's kit man hiding the ball in the dugout like the 1-1 draw from last season? Or a 5-0 pumping?

If one thing is certain, Jordan Allan will end up being on the scoresheet, which means at the other end, hopefully Jamieson breaks his duck.

I'd forgotten about that, it's the daftest coaching sending off I've seen since Darren Young tripped up Scott Robertson. Just such a pointless thing to do :lol: 

I expect we'll see a reaction from the team after the Edinburgh debacle, although that now feels like a long time ago. Normally I'd prefer to play sooner after that to get it out our system but perhaps delaying a trip to Montrose wasn't such a bad thing. Saying that, we saw last season that we struggled in most games against a rubbish Clyde team, so tomorrow could be a tough game against an improved Clyde. I was going to say at least Robert Jones isn't around to score this time but as you say, Jordan Allan will no doubt fill that role. 

McCabe definitely has a few tough decisions to make in terms of the first 11. Ballantyne being out is a blow but Watson is a good replacement there. I'd be very surprised if Watson, McCabe, Fordyce, Frizzell and Smith don't start but I'd say the other six places are up for grabs. Henderson did fine last week despite conceding six goals but if Josh Rae is fit again I'd start him, with Henderson limited to the late sub Jay Cantley role instead. I'd bring Deveney back in at left back but ATS is an option there or at centre back. It's perhaps a bit soon for Telfer to start but Frizzell and Devenny have worked well in midfield so far and I'd give McMaster a go in behind them. I'd go with Gallagher up top with Smith and Jamieson out wide. Jamieson has been poor in the last couple of games but Clyde seem to have struggled at left back and his pace and movement could cause them problems. 

Rae/Henderson
Watson - McCabe - Fordyce - Deveney
Devenny - McMaster - Frizzell
Jamieson - Gallagher - Smith

We've obviously got a lot more about us this season and we should have a chunk of extra points at this stage, but I can't shake the nagging feeling that we're the 9th best team in this league. The players that Alloa and Kelty are bringing in are worrying from our point of view. 

It would make a massive difference if we can get Cuddihy fit to play at right back for a run of games, start with a back four, and more than anything find ourselves a left-back. That said, looking at the fact that Airdrie are still considering playing Deveney there then things could be worse I suppose.

3 hours ago, Mr November said:

I'd forgotten about that, it's the daftest coaching sending off I've seen since Darren Young tripped up Scott Robertson. Just such a pointless thing to do :lol: 

I expect we'll see a reaction from the team after the Edinburgh debacle, although that now feels like a long time ago. Normally I'd prefer to play sooner after that to get it out our system but perhaps delaying a trip to Montrose wasn't such a bad thing. Saying that, we saw last season that we struggled in most games against a rubbish Clyde team, so tomorrow could be a tough game against an improved Clyde. I was going to say at least Robert Jones isn't around to score this time but as you say, Jordan Allan will no doubt fill that role. 

McCabe definitely has a few tough decisions to make in terms of the first 11. Ballantyne being out is a blow but Watson is a good replacement there. I'd be very surprised if Watson, McCabe, Fordyce, Frizzell and Smith don't start but I'd say the other six places are up for grabs. Henderson did fine last week despite conceding six goals but if Josh Rae is fit again I'd start him, with Henderson limited to the late sub Jay Cantley role instead. I'd bring Deveney back in at left back but ATS is an option there or at centre back. It's perhaps a bit soon for Telfer to start but Frizzell and Devenny have worked well in midfield so far and I'd give McMaster a go in behind them. I'd go with Gallagher up top with Smith and Jamieson out wide. Jamieson has been poor in the last couple of games but Clyde seem to have struggled at left back and his pace and movement could cause them problems. 

Rae/Henderson
Devenny - McMaster - Frizzell
Jamieson - Gallagher - Smith

All of a sudden we seem to have a few selection permutations,  which is great..   Rhys has to get the right mix though....t

Henderson

Watson.       McCabe.    Fordyce    ATS

Telfer.      Wylie       Frizzell

jamieson.     Gallagher.     Smith

you could make arguments about Justin D playing LWB personally I have no idea why Rhys played him there against Edinburgh, he stated that's why we got the goal at EEP ,  although he was playing centre mid that day and was put to LWB through necessity late on (lack of options)..   Wylie is a funny one,  he was a stand out the last couple of years in Celtic B and should be decent at this level although looks like he is lacking confidence,, but he appears to be carrying a bit of timber and started against Edinburgh,  the big question is are Celtic putting pressure on ourselves to play him,   he had a few offers apparently before he joined on loan...     

ATS is another everybody is saying he is shot,  although he was playing Premier League a couple of years back, deserves a chance especially with Ballantyne out    ,   surely the Player of the Month will get a start up top Gallagher is a far better all round player than McGill, although Rhys prefers to start McGill who is far better used as an impact sub,    is Galls part time status the issue here with his lack of starts........LJ and Smith have had plenty chances but we really need goals off them,  if they continue to misfire, I can see another 'quality' loanee getting brought in....

Very slowly but surely the squad is coming together. 18 now,  is that enough......

6 hours ago, Passionate said:

All of a sudden we seem to have a few selection permutations,  which is great..   Rhys has to get the right mix though....t

Henderson

Watson.       McCabe.    Fordyce    ATS

Telfer.      Wylie       Frizzell

jamieson.     Gallagher.     Smith

you could make arguments about Justin D playing LWB personally I have no idea why Rhys played him there against Edinburgh, he stated that's why we got the goal at EEP ,  although he was playing centre mid that day and was put to LWB through necessity late on (lack of options)..   Wylie is a funny one,  he was a stand out the last couple of years in Celtic B and should be decent at this level although looks like he is lacking confidence,, but he appears to be carrying a bit of timber and started against Edinburgh,  the big question is are Celtic putting pressure on ourselves to play him,   he had a few offers apparently before he joined on loan...     

ATS is another everybody is saying he is shot,  although he was playing Premier League a couple of years back, deserves a chance especially with Ballantyne out    ,   surely the Player of the Month will get a start up top Gallagher is a far better all round player than McGill, although Rhys prefers to start McGill who is far better used as an impact sub,    is Galls part time status the issue here with his lack of starts........LJ and Smith have had plenty chances but we really need goals off them,  if they continue to misfire, I can see another 'quality' loanee getting brought in....

Very slowly but surely the squad is coming together. 18 now,  is that enough......

Surely you wouldn't have Wylie over Justin Devenny.

Be interesting to see how fit Telfer is for this one, I don’t think they’ll chuck him in straight off the bat. I also don’t think Wylie merits a starting berth but hands may be forced a bit with suspensions etc. And what of Rae? Heard varying stories that he’s all but good to go, some saying his arm’s still in a sling. Any ITKs able to shed any light on this particular injury saga?

16 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Be interesting to see how fit Telfer is for this one, I don’t think they’ll chuck him in straight off the bat. I also don’t think Wylie merits a starting berth but hands may be forced a bit with suspensions etc. And what of Rae? Heard varying stories that he’s all but good to go, some saying his arm’s still in a sling. Any ITKs able to shed any light on this particular injury saga?

The match preview on the website says that Rae needs an operation on his shoulder. If he’s going to be out for much longer then I’d be on the phone to Hibs asking for Murray Johnson back.

3 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Surely you wouldn't have Wylie over Justin Devenny.

This. Why you'd play Wylie over Justin is beyond me. And suggesting he plays as wing back is pointless given he's clearly better through the middle, as we have witnessed. His work rate is excellent and he knows where the goal is. 

14 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

This. Why you'd play Wylie over Justin is beyond me. And suggesting he plays as wing back is pointless given he's clearly better through the middle, as we have witnessed. His work rate is excellent and he knows where the goal is. 

To be fair that's the formation Rhys started the,Edinburgh game, didn't make much sense to me , and it didn't really work,  although everybody that was at the game knows the second half was a complete trainwreck..  And after that no playre could moan about being taken out the team ..

I feel for Wylie a bit because he’s not really had a fair crack at it in my opinion. Subbed on for a few minutes here and there and when he finally gets a start we go down to ten men early on and the whole team capitulates. From watching him I’ve felt like he still needs to adapt to playing senior football at this level as opposed to the likes of U21 or Lowland League. He’ll have a good touch but then try to do too much and end up losing the ball when he should be releasing it earlier. I’d like to see him start because I think he’s a talent and a run of games will help him adapt and get to the required level, but if we’re picking our strongest 11 (something we really have to be doing) I don’t think he makes it at the moment.

I expect McCabe to drop into defence and Watson to play right back in Ballantyne’s absence, although I’d prefer that to be a temporary measure and another centre back to be signed as I much prefer McCabe in midfield. Would be good to see ATS but Deveney hasn’t done much wrong and should come back into the team. Same goes for Telfer. I’d like to see him but it might be a bit soon for him and I certainly wouldn’t be dropping either Frizzell or Devenny for him. McMaster returning from injury to play the holding midfield role makes sense to me. I’ll always want Gal and Smith on from the start and even though he’s been poor the last couple of games I think this could potentially be a game well suited to Jamieson. The fact he specifically struggled against Dunfermline (strongest team in the league early on) and Edinburgh (after we went down to ten men) is slightly worrying though as it suggests he might disappear in big games or big moments. He certainly doesn’t seem to work half as hard to track back as Smith does on the other side. Hoping he proves me wrong over the course of the season because he looks like he could be our most exciting player this season in much the same way Easton was last season with his dribbling ability.

I wouldn’t start Jamieson and I don’t think Wiley should be anywhere near the starting 11. I’d go:

Henderson

Telfer - Devenny - Frizzell

McGill - Gallagher - Smith

If Telfer isn’t fit enough yet I’d move McCabe into midfield and start ATS alongside Fordyce.

After last season I hope we absolutely batter Clyde.

ETA: I’d like to see McMaster given some game time today as well. Looked really promising in early season before getting injured.

1 hour ago, Diamond Oracle said:

I wouldn’t start Jamieson and I don’t think Wiley should be anywhere near the starting 11. I’d go:

Henderson

Telfer - Devenny - Frizzell

McGill - Gallagher - Smith

If Telfer isn’t fit enough yet I’d move McCabe into midfield and start ATS alongside Fordyce.

After last season I hope we absolutely batter Clyde.

ETA: I’d like to see McMaster given some game time today as well. Looked really promising in early season before getting injured.

Whilst Jamieson clearly has ability, we have only seen it in flashes, so i too wouldn't be surprised if he was on the bench and perhaps its time for ATS to get his chance.

10 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

In fairness, i'm not sure anyone does although McCabe would definitely be in mine.

Notice a comment on FB that manager wanting to watch how player's perform, like its the first game of the season, personally I don't think he knew who to leave out except for Gal he seems a easy choice these days, our top scorer.