November squad of friendly

Craigieboy86

5 hours ago, Craigieboy86 said:

Might Steve Clarke call uncapped for friendly next month (November)

O'Hara (CM & DM)

B.Anderson (St)

E.Anderson (AM & Winger)

Lindsay (CB)

Doohan (GK

McKay (Winger)

Forrest (Winger)

anyone pick uncapped in scotland next month (November) for friendly

If it's Barrie McKay, he's oddly already capped.  Kingsley was as well, which is something I very clearly missed in those two awful friendlies against Italy/France.

Assuming a November friendly, what we can do depends on availability and objectives.  For defence I can't see any necessity for inclusion of those not already in squads.  Porteous to play with Hendry, and consider time for Souttar or Halkett if they are fit.  Oddly, we now have so many options at centre back, players like Cooper might find it hard to get back in.

Full backs?  Doig could get a turn.  Perhaps the lad at West Ham.

Midfield: Ferguson, Campbell, McKay, Turnbull, maybe... Forrest.  Anderson of Newcastle is surely worth a go.  Dare I also suggest... Gauld?

Forwards: Stewart, and Brown.  Not sure there's anyone new worth trying yet - unless the U21 lad in Bristol keeps playing well.

Overall, I don't see the point of changes for the sake of it, nor playing an entirely new XI.  The priority absolutely has to be giving game time to a goalkeeper (or both), and giving the likes of Turnbull, Stewart, some proper time on the pitch.

I'd hope that we would have a decent number of regulars.  McGregor always wants to play, and what better way to celebrate your 50th cap than a meaningless friendly on the Syrian border?

I’ve been to Diyarbakir.   My bus driver was arrested for smuggling contraband cigarettes over the Iraqi border.  It’s the arse end of Turkey, and because it’s Kurdish-dominated, the central government deprives it of pretty much anything.  It’s an absolute shit hole.   I’m surprised they’ve hosted an international football match there, but then I remember Grant Hanley might play and I think, haven’t the Kurds suffered enough?

4 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

If it's Barrie McKay, he's oddly already capped.  Kingsley was as well, which is something I very clearly missed in those two awful friendlies against Italy/France.

Assuming a November friendly, what we can do depends on availability and objectives.  For defence I can't see any necessity for inclusion of those not already in squads.  Porteous to play with Hendry, and consider time for Souttar or Halkett if they are fit.  Oddly, we now have so many options at centre back, players like Cooper might find it hard to get back in.

Full backs?  Doig could get a turn.  Perhaps the lad at West Ham.

Midfield: Ferguson, Campbell, McKay, Turnbull, maybe... Forrest.  Anderson of Newcastle is surely worth a go.  Dare I also suggest... Gauld?

Forwards: Stewart, and Brown.  Not sure there's anyone new worth trying yet - unless the U21 lad in Bristol keeps playing well.

Overall, I don't see the point of changes for the sake of it, nor playing an entirely new XI.  The priority absolutely has to be giving game time to a goalkeeper (or both), and giving the likes of Turnbull, Stewart, some proper time on the pitch.

I'd hope that we would have a decent number of regulars.  McGregor always wants to play, and what better way to celebrate your 50th cap than a meaningless friendly on the Syrian border?

might bring eligibile to Gordon from Everton and Barnes from Leicester

8 hours ago, Craigieboy86 said:

Might Steve Clarke call uncapped for friendly next month (November)

O'Hara (CM & DM)

B.Anderson (St)

E.Anderson (AM & Winger)

Lindsay (CB)

Doohan (GK

McKay (Winger)

Forrest (Winger)

anyone pick uncapped in scotland next month (November) for friendly

I'd be shocked if any of these appear any time soon (with the possible exception of McKay who was called into this squad). We had, what, 20 odd players in THIS squad and it didnt include the likes of Robertson, Hanley, Cooper, and Stewart (or Nisbet, Shankland, etc). Hardly any of them are in their 30s. I'm not sure what the obsession with calling up new players for the sake of it is.

Neither Gordon of Everton nor Barnes of Leicester has any interest in playing for us, at least at the moment, eligible or not. 

Saw a story here that the Turkish FA didn't want the game played in Diyarbakir any more because the local club's fans were displaying Kurdistan flags recently. Much like our own country, they're very fragile about people displaying their own national identity and don't want a repeat during a Turkey game.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Saw a story here that the Turkish FA didn't want the game played in Diyarbakir any more because the local club's fans were displaying Kurdistan flags recently. Much like our own country, they're very fragile about people displaying their own national identity and don't want a repeat during a Turkey game.

Any word on whether they’re moving it to Istanbul/somewhere else or if it’s just being cancelled entirely? 

6 hours ago, red23 said:

are some of you having a laugh with the names listed on here? 

or have you all gone utterly insane?

Agreed. There might be a new face or two but it’s not going to be a B team kickabout. The nucleus of the squad will be the exact same as it always is. 

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'd be shocked if any of these appear any time soon (with the possible exception of McKay who was called into this squad). We had, what, 20 odd players in THIS squad and it didnt include the likes of Robertson, Hanley, Cooper, and Stewart (or Nisbet, Shankland, etc). Hardly any of them are in their 30s. I'm not sure what the obsession with calling up new players for the sake of it is.

Neither Gordon of Everton nor Barnes of Leicester has any interest in playing for us, at least at the moment, eligible or not. 

Stop it with shouts like O Hara and Doohan and wee Anderson at Livvy they aren't gonna be anywhere near the squad doubt Lindsay is going to be either or else he would been in over Kingsley when injuries came

Any word on whether they’re moving it to Istanbul/somewhere else or if it’s just being cancelled entirely? 
Is that being talked about?
Last time I was in Istanbul, more than one group of locals told me the majority of Istanbullus were of Kurdish origin or descent. Not sure if it's true or not.

Edit: it's not - estimated roughly 2m Kurds in the city's 15m population. Still, certainly enough to make a political noise at a game if they wanted to.

This isn't 2013. It's not really the time just to be trawling the English Championship for anyone with a Scottish granny or any decent player under 24 in the SPL who doesn't have a cap and just chuck them at the wall to see what sticks.

We've got a fairly settled, good team right now and the Euro qualifiers are less than 6 months away. These games should be used to get more game time with largely the current side and current system and test out one or two thigs that there are still questions about. Probably top of that list is what's the best centre back pairing and then probably picking one or two less experienced players and seeing if they fit into the first team.

I think there's very little use in just trying to give the likes of Barrie McKay or Liam Kelly caps for the sake of it.

Just now, Loominous said:

Republic of Ireland are playing two friendlies (Malta, Norway) so I'd have thought we will do the same.

Wouldn't mind playing a lower ranked nation just to get a look at a few players but its never gonna happen what we needs continuity but theoretically we could still put a good team out with players that haven't been capped

30 minutes ago, Loominous said:

Republic of Ireland are playing two friendlies (Malta, Norway) so I'd have thought we will do the same.

Good point. We could play Turkey on Wednesday 16th as planned and then play someone else on the Saturday. Probably too late for a WC nation though. 

Ideally, we'd pick another country around a similar standard to the better pot 3 countries form the Euro qualifiers that we haven't played recently, like Norway or Bosnia. That's the standard we have to beat in the upcoming qualifiers. Let's have none of this 'play a diddy country to give Elliot Anderson, Jacob Brown and Lewis Neilson a run out.'

The standard's been set, these guys know what they have to do to earn a place in the team. Let them do it.