November squad of friendly

Craigieboy86

3 hours ago, Jambomo said:

In his interview from the last game against Ukraine, didn’t Clarke say he brought Doig into the squad partly because he wanted players to see there was a pathway into the squad for them if they were good enough?  I think it’s something he’s trying to improve.

and with Considine and Gallagher 

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Thanks. I missed the comments surrounding Doig's call up. That's really encouraging. 
It sort of seems like it's coming from the wrong direction though - like you'd ideally want the SFA age groups system to be presenting ready-made young players to Steve Clarke, rather than him haveing to wade in and bring them up. Also you worry that if SC left, that mentality could go with him. A perfect system would transcend any specific manager.

I think this was addressed by a poster above (copied below) that shows the pathway is quite well established between the under age groups and the senior national team. What more are you looking for?

11 hours ago, 2426255 said:

If you look at other positions there isn't a disconnect and you could even say there is quite an established pathway. Of the 41 players called up in the last year these players have play u-21's football for Scotland:

• Gordon, Kelly, McRorie, Marshall - Souttar, McKenna, Turnbull, Hanley, Porteous, Kingsley, Ralston, Doig, Taylor, Patterson, O'Donnell, Robertson - McGregor, Gilmour,  Ferguson, Campbell, Jack, McLean, McGinn, Armstrong - Christie, McKay, Fraser.  [27]

These have played u-17/19's football for Scotland:

• Cooper, Halkett, Hickey, Tierney. [4]

These players have never played lower-age football for Scotland, 50% are strikers:

• McLaughlin, Clark - Gallagher, Hendry - McTominay - Dykes, Adams, Brown, Stewart, Nisbet. [10] 

To me that looks more like we aren't producing the strikers we need rather than we aren't creating good enough links with the lower age groups. I think strikers more than most would be on Scotland's radar within the National Team and they just haven't done enough/aren't good enough to merit a call up. I doubt the likes of Fraser Hornby has just been forgotten about given how badly we lack in that area.

Edited by Loominous

1 hour ago, Loominous said:

I think this was addressed by a poster above (copied below) that shows the pathway is quite well established between the under age groups and the senior national team. What more are you looking for?

I realise my meandering post started by talking about whether we should cap promising players to 'keep' them, and ended up getting angry about our lack of strikers, so kudos to me for that (I was knackered)!

What more am I looking for? I want Stark, Gemmil and S'Bragia (just for old times sake) to be fired...

Spoiler

...into the sea.

Seriously though, let's focus it a bit on the striker thing. There's a problem there, agreed? It feels like a bit more of a joined up system might help bring through talent in this area - i.e. "there's a desperate need for a striker or two in the top team, so let's identify and nurture the best prospects with the goal of delivering them to the full squad". Perhaps the performance schools will deliver in this respect, but should the existence of the schools absolve the unders groups from delivering off their own backs too? I'd hope not.

Looking at England. Yes they are a big nation etc etc. But a clutch of their under 21 forwards always make it swiftly into their full squad and tend to deliver at that level, generation after generation (Of course there are a few - like Vardy, Ricky Lambert - exceptions to that rule). They have their under age groups system sussed. There's a strategy there, and one that is delivering. 

Hope that answer offers some insight into my thinking.

In return, I'll ask you: are you completely happy with the current management, selections and performances of our u19s and u21s?

On 02/10/2022 at 23:27, BingMcCrosby said:

I've never seen this guy play, so I have no option on this guys specific level of ability.

But I'm not against giving a young player who may have the ability in future to be a player for us some time in a friendly game to secure him for us.

Weve got to use every available trick in the book to do whats best for us long term. Would bringing someone on for 5 minutes in a friendly hurt us in the short term?

Maybe inclusion in our youth squads would be enough for him, I have no idea on his feelings.

He needs to play in a competitive match to be "secure" him for us.

And what a strange way to look at a player. If we deem a player not to be good enough for our team but he can get an international future for another nation, let him have at it.

I think we can safely consign the idea to the bin. Even Bing quickly held his hands up when he realised he had forgotten the new rules around tying a player down. Even if this friendly was enough to tie a player down, I wouldn't be rushing to use it on a lowland league "wonderkid".

4 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

He needs to play in a competitive match to be "secure" him for us.

And what a strange way to look at a player. If we deem a player not to be good enough for our team but he can get an international future for another nation, let him have at it.

You will need to sit down for this because I think its going to come as a major shock. But sometimes........sometimes........as a footballer gets older..........he can get better🎆🎆🎆

So sometimes an 18 year old may not be good enough for us now but in the FUTURE.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

I think we can safely consign the idea to the bin. Even Bing quickly held his hands up when he realised he had forgotten the new rules around tying a player down. Even if this friendly was enough to tie a player down, I wouldn't be rushing to use it on a lowland league "wonderkid".

I take it as a compliment tbh, as lately I've been just so bang on the money its amazing. A football oracle if you will. Gotta throw a bone every now and then.

What we can do tho is take the words literally. If a top young prospect looks to be getting their head turned by another nation, we simply kidnap them and physically them down. Until they commit to Scotland 🤷‍♂️

Edited by BingMcCrosby

5 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

You will need to sit down for this because I think its going to come as a major shock. But sometimes........sometimes........as a football gets older..........he can get better🎆🎆🎆

So sometimes an 18 year old may not be good enough for us now but in the FUTURE.

And many of them dont progress enough to become international calibre.

Why cap a random 18 year old playing in the 5th tier of Scottish football on the off chance he might end up good.

A fucking nonsense point your trying to make only made worse by you doubling down on it. 

Just now, Jacky1990 said:

And many of them dont progress enough to become international calibre.

Why cap a random 18 year old playing in the 5th tier of Scottish football on the off chance he might end up good.

A fucking nonsense point your trying to make only made worse by you doubling down on it. 

Can you quote me saying I think he should be capped now as a full Scotland player?

On 02/10/2022 at 16:52, BingMcCrosby said:

His mother is Scottish, not his granny. And he plays in Scotland.

Hes currently being poached by another international team. Which you could understand considering we've not even capped him at any level.

Other nations look to secure young talent (just in case) and its exactly what we should be doing.

2 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Can you quote me saying I think he should be capped now as a full Scotland player?

You mean like this one?

@Jacky1990

On 02/10/2022 at 22:51, BingMcCrosby said:

Hes absolutely not good enough at this moment. Nobody is suggesting he is.

On 03/10/2022 at 00:27, BingMcCrosby said:

I've never seen this guy play, so I have no option on this guys specific level of ability.

Theres my opinions on this specific player. You won't find what you have imagined i have said.

I take it as a compliment tbh, as lately I've been just so bang on the money its amazing. A football oracle if you will. Gotta throw a bone every now and then.
What we can do tho is take the words literally. If a top young prospect looks to be getting their head turned by another nation, we simply kidnap them and physically them down. Until they commit to Scotland [emoji2369]
Aye, I wasn't having a go. It's refreshing on here whenever someone makes a call, then easily breezily admits it was a wild one. Much better than the posters that would seemingly rather eat glass than admit they were wrong. It's good to be wrong sometimes.

Just now, Gordopolis said:
Just now, BingMcCrosby said:
What we can do tho is take the words literally. If a top young prospect looks to be getting their head turned by another nation, we simply kidnap them and physically them down. Until they commit to Scotland emoji2369.png

Aye, I wasn't having a go. It's refreshing on here whenever someone makes a call, then easily breezily admits it was a wild one. Much better than the posters that would seemingly rather eat glass than admit they were wrong. It's good to be wrong sometimes.

Im taking this as a yes your up for the kidnapping idea 💡