November squad of friendly

Craigieboy86

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Agreed. There might be a new face or two but it’s not going to be a B team kickabout. The nucleus of the squad will be the exact same as it always is. 

It will be so long as clubs are mandated to release players, and SC wants to have the full team available.

We've been fortunate that the squad has had pretty much 100% attendance over the past couple of years - injuries permitting.

The priority - if possible - is to have the core of the side there, whilst giving game time to the peripheral players, particularly the strikers, goalkeepers, and a couple of midfielders.

45 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

It will be so long as clubs are mandated to release players, and SC wants to have the full team available.

We've been fortunate that the squad has had pretty much 100% attendance over the past couple of years - injuries permitting.

The priority - if possible - is to have the core of the side there, whilst giving game time to the peripheral players, particularly the strikers, goalkeepers, and a couple of midfielders.

Why wouldn’t they be mandated to do so? It’s a legitimate international window and we shouldn’t be prevented from playing friendlies just because we aren’t going to Qatar 

I wonder if part of the reason this hasn’t been announced yet is to do with us not wanting to announce it before next Sunday’s Euro qualifying draw and then if we draw Turkey, it’ll get shelved. 

You could get around this by playing a fellow pot 2 nation. France, England, Wales and Serbia will be in Qatar, but you could easily play Finland or Bosnia-Herzegovina for the first time in a while. Austria, Czech Republic and Israel are also around but I’m not sure we’d fancy playing them for the 4th, 4th and 8th time since 2018 respectively.

12 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Why wouldn’t they be mandated to do so? It’s a legitimate international window and we shouldn’t be prevented from playing friendlies just because we aren’t going to Qatar 

FIFA's document from August 2021 notes the 14th for players involved in the World Cup.  It also is missing the dates for this last week's fixtures - perhaps it's available and I just can't find it.  Other reports state the 20th, but that's presumably nonsense.

I would presume you're right, either by the actual window, or by pragmatism, but flagged all the same - clubs have more influence than we often appreciate.  Clubs like Arsenal/Liverpool will have their own views on friendlies in Turkey.

Edit: agreeing on your point above - seems a sensible reason to not confirm the friendly yet.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Saw a story here that the Turkish FA didn't want the game played in Diyarbakir any more because the local club's fans were displaying Kurdistan flags recently. Much like our own country, they're very fragile about people displaying their own national identity and don't want a repeat during a Turkey game.

I just read an article saying it’s not just about flags. Terrorist songs were being sung and knives thrown at the players during recent matches. 

I’ve been to Diyarbakir.   My bus driver was arrested for smuggling contraband cigarettes over the Iraqi border.  It’s the arse end of Turkey, and because it’s Kurdish-dominated, the central government deprives it of pretty much anything.  It’s an absolute shit hole.   I’m surprised they’ve hosted an international football match there, but then I remember Grant Hanley might play and I think, haven’t the Kurds suffered enough?

I've also been to Diyarbakir. I quite liked it, actually. I did smuggle contraband cigarettes over the Iraqi border and was interrogated.

We have a good squad, but it's hard to blood new players in the NL unless it's forced by injury because we want to be competitive. I'd probably definitely put a different goalie in (sorry Craig!), and give the likes of Mackay, Porteus and other <5 caps more match time. But still play McGinn etc. 

I think importantly, we need to test a new goalie. Keepers are rarely subbed 

I think there's very little use in just trying to give the likes of Liam Kelly caps for the sake of it.

It wouldn't be just for the sake of it though, would it?
It's the appropriate place to see how he handles playing in goals for his country.
If he's going to shit himself and start crying, I'd rather he did it in this friendly than in the qualifiers next year.

For the first time in a long time we don't need to worry about ranking points or even about the set up of the first team. This friendly can be used to try out new players and experiment a little. I'd love to see Lindsay given a cap (I'm never objective about him though), and perhaps for the likes of Doak and Ramsay to be blooded. 

I'd love for McGregor and McGinn to be rested, but you'll probably have to lock the changing room doors to prevent them from playing.

For the first time in a long time we don't need to worry about ranking points or even about the set up of the first team. This friendly can be used to try out new players and experiment a little. I'd love to see Lindsay given a cap (I'm never objective about him though), and perhaps for the likes of Doak and Ramsay to be blooded. 
I'd love for McGregor and McGinn to be rested, but you'll probably have to lock the changing room doors to prevent them from playing.
Can't tell if you're at the wind up with Doak?
Part of me wants to scoff at the idea, but part of me thinks it'd be quite exciting to see us try someone so young and brimming with potential so early.

4 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Can't tell if you're at the wind up with Doak?
Part of me wants to scoff at the idea, but part of me thinks it'd be quite exciting to see us try someone so young and brimming with potential so early.

Deadly serious Gordo. I see this as a true free hit of a game. Throw him in near the end to give him a taste of it. I don't know much about the youngsters, but I'd rather we started being bold, showing faith and using this friendly to try a few things. I don't see too many negatives to at least having him around the squad.

I dont know what the lad Doak is like personally, but there can be a risk to hyping a player and heaping tons of pressure of him at only 16. The kid has incredible talent and I'm massively confident he will at least be on bench a couple of times for Liverpool first team by end of season. Some kids will revel in the pressure and the hype and others it will destroy them at that age. But I do agree it would be very exciting if he were called up.

I would think (and hope) the squad for the friendlies will be largely the same. That being said, I'm happy for there to be 3 or 4 spots in squad for young/untested talent to be called up. There will naturally be some injuries or call offs anyway, so may happen organically. 

The ones that immediately spring to mind for me would be:

Calvin Ramsey - Klopp has already stated many times he is part of their first team squad, he is just back in first team training now and is Trents back up on that side. Clearly going to be in and around Liverpools first team once fully fit.

Elliot Anderson - Seriously talented, involved in Newcastle first team and a huge prospect. Would have been happy to see him in last senior squad. Paper talk seems to be allegience issues. Happy to test that with a call up

Tommy Conway - Great start to the season with Bristol. We need some options for out and out goalscorers. No brainer.

Lewis Morgan - A recall. And not that young at 25 but seems to have hit good form in MLS and scoring regular. Something like 18 goals in 35 or something. Would be happy to see him have another crack at international football.

Dom Hyam - Been around championship for years and earned his move to Blackburn. Hit ground running there and another man of match award today. 6ft 2 centre back. Can always use some more of them

Was reading about a lad yesterday that plays for Celtic and is eligible for us and Canada. Leaning towards Canada so might be worth us trying to cap him. I can’t remember his name as I was pished at the time. 

We can't just go around picking every nobody that might have a granny from another country just in case.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

We can't just go around picking every nobody that might have a granny from another country just in case.

His mother is Scottish, not his granny. And he plays in Scotland.

Hes currently being poached by another international team. Which you could understand considering we've not even capped him at any level.

Other nations look to secure young talent (just in case) and its exactly what we should be doing.