November squad of friendly

Craigieboy86

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/09/2022 at 22:05, Craigieboy86 said:

we will have a squad of 25/26 with Scotland to a header for friendly on November possible set face Turkey before world cup 2022

What are you all wishing/hoping for? 

If Gordon and McLaughlin retire international football national who replace them

Craig Gordon won't be retiring from international football until i) Scotland fail to qualify for Euro 2024 or ii) he represents us in Germany and we get knocked out iii) he gets an injury that stops him playing any football. He is desperate to play for us at a major championship. We will need a new keeper for the World Cup 2026 qualifying campaign.

Ignoring the friendly for a second, this is the 26 man squad I’d be taking to Qatar if we’d qualified and everyone was available

GK: Craig Gordon, John McLaughlin and Liam Kelly [3]

RB: Nathan Patterson and Aaron Hickey [2]

CB: Jack Hendry, Scott McKenna, John Souttar, Grant Hanley and Ryan Porteous [5]

LB: Andy Robertson, Kieran Tierney and Greg Taylor [3]

CM: Scott McTominay, Callum McGregor, Billy Gilmour, Ryan Jack and Kenny McLean [5]

CAM/Wingers: John McGinn, Ryan Christie, Stuart Armstrong, Ryan Fraser and Jacob Brown [5]

CF: Che Adams, Lyndon Dykes and Ross Stewart [3]

44 minutes ago, Ewan8472 said:

In case Craig gets injured etc

Then put them in when he gets injured, just like we put Porteous in when McKenna got injured. The like of John McLaughlan and Liam Kelly are not the future of Scottish goalkeeping, probably not Zander Clark either, though his more immediate problem is club action as long as Gordon is playing. McCrorie might be but I'm not desperate to see him play before he needs to.

If you want to give them "experience" then fair enough but I don't see any need and the phrasing of your original post was "we need to try them" which more implied you want to see if they are good enough. We already know they aren't as good as Gordon.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

Ignoring the friendly for a second, this is the 26 man squad I’d be taking to Qatar if we’d qualified and everyone was available

GK: Craig Gordon, John McLaughlin and Liam Kelly [3]

RB: Nathan Patterson and Aaron Hickey [2]

CB: Jack Hendry, Scott McKenna, John Souttar, Grant Hanley and Ryan Porteous [5]

LB: Andy Robertson, Kieran Tierney and Greg Taylor [3]

CM: Scott McTominay, Callum McGregor, Billy Gilmour, Ryan Jack and Kenny McLean [5]

CAM/Wingers: John McGinn, Ryan Christie, Stuart Armstrong, Ryan Fraser and Jacob Brown [5]

CF: Che Adams, Lyndon Dykes and Ross Stewart [3]

It's a pretty strong, and Gordon apart, youthful, squad right enough. I've not seen Brown play anywhere other than striker but that's semantics and there's a few of them can play more than one position, most obviously HIckey and Tierney.

I'm not sure we need 3 left backs, especially when Hickey can play it too, unfortunately for Taylor, though Tierney playing centre back most of the time probably gets him in for now. I'm yet to be convinced by either Brown or Stewart either but they have time, and there's probably nobody else better in those positions unless Nisbet, Shankland or even James Forrest get back to regular football at a top level.

I think Clark's better than Kelly (and probably McLaughlin) but he's not going to get picked playing for Hearts reserves. I'd be more inclined to have McCrorie than either of those two but none of them will play while Gordon's fit anyway.

Keeper

McCrorie, Kelly Z.Clark (3)

Centre back

McKenna, Porteous, Hendry Kingsley Souttar Lindsay (6)

Right full back

Patterson Hickey (2)

Left full back 

Roberston and Tierney (2)

creative midfielder

McTominay McGregor, Jack Turnbull A.Campell (4)

Attack midfielder

Armstrong, McGinn, Christie, Henderson J.Campbell (5)

Right & Left winger

McKay Forrest Wright Anderson (4)

striker

Dykes, Adam, Stewart, Shankland (4)

Edited by Craigieboy86

43 minutes ago, Craigieboy86 said:

Keeper

McCrorie, Kelly Z.Clark (3)

Centre back

McKenna, Porteous, Hendry Kingsley Souttar Lindsay (6)

Right full back

Patterson Hickey (2)

Left full back 

Roberston and Tierney (2)

creative midfielder

McTominay McGregor, Jack Turnbull A.Campell (4)

Attack midfielder

Armstrong, McGinn, Christie, Henderson J.Campbell (5)

Right & Left winger

McKay Forrest Wright Anderson (4)

striker

Dykes, Adam, Stewart, Shankland (4)

Are Lindsay and A. Campbell any good ?

A bit too soon for J. campbell ?

Wright ?

This could end up being a Peru/Mexico type squad under McLeish with a bit of give and take with some teams going away during the World Cup like Celtic and Everton going to Australia.

Im assuming the money is good for the SFA to be considering a friendly that is an absolute nightmare for fans to get to if the Diyarbakir rumours are true.

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Then put them in when he gets injured,

Craig Gordon is nearly 40 and has a history of injuries. You would rather his back up would have had some minutes at international level and know the defence a bit better should Craig not be available for an important game. It also gives him a bit of a rest too. 

Edited by gannonball

49 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Craig Gordon is nearly 40 and has a history of injuries. You would rather his back up would have had some minutes at international level and know the defence a bit better should Craig not be available for an important game. It also gives him a bit of a rest too. 

This !

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

This could end up being a Peru/Mexico type squad under McLeish with a bit of give and take with some teams going away during the World Cup like Celtic and Everton going to Australia.

Im assuming the money is good for the SFA to be considering a friendly that is an absolute nightmare for fans to get to if the Diyarbakir rumours are true.

£400 return, a 7 hour overnight layover in Istanbul airport, and a foray into a politically volatile part of Turkey, for a friendly.

Cant see many bothering. 

Would like to see Lindsay given a shot here, played every minute for a Preston team that has 7 clean sheets in 10 games in the Championship, I think he's a better option for the next few years than Gallagher. Limited value in continuity given the length of time until we play our next game and the high chances of rests/calloffs anyway, might as well get a look at a few of the fringe guys - Doig, Morgan etc, would also like a look at Gauld but that seems like a pipe dream.

1 hour ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Would like to see Lindsay given a shot here, played every minute for a Preston team that has 7 clean sheets in 10 games in the Championship, I think he's a better option for the next few years than Gallagher. Limited value in continuity given the length of time until we play our next game and the high chances of rests/calloffs anyway, might as well get a look at a few of the fringe guys - Doig, Morgan etc, would also like a look at Gauld but that seems like a pipe dream.

Findlay too