euro 2024 seed stage group

Craigieboy86

Definitely a group we should be capable of finishing second in and one which there is no reason we can't even have a tilt at Spain to top if we do them at home early doors.

Drawing Norway is a problem though for me. If Haaland maintains his current form, which seems his standard level, then he could quite easily bum any combination of our centre backs senseless and that gives me the fear. Of course he could also do the same to Spain. Both us and Spain will look to cut off his supply no doubt and given the rest of their side isn't Man City that should be doable.

My main concern with him is that he has a good goal scoring record against your lower sides, and if Norway take 12 points from Cyprus and Georgia...we'll need to do the same and have very little margin for error.

Forget Spain. They'll just run off into the sunset. Let them.

Scotland just need to win the rest of their home games and ensure that there's a win in Cyprus and a draw at worst in Georgia. 

The hottest ticket will be the Erling Haaland concert at Hampden. It will probably come down to that last game.

21 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

He got injured in the qualifiers or there's a decent chance he would be there.

True, he missed four games - 1-1 v Türkiye, 2-0 v Montenegro, 0-0 v Latvia and 0-2 v Netherlands - as they finished behind three points behind Türkiye, so it's possible he could have made the difference there. He also scored an impressive five goals in the six games he did play.

However, three of those goals came against Gibraltar. His others came v the Netherlands and Latvia (a penalty). Having him in the team didn't stop them getting pumped 3-0 at home to Türkiye.

He then played every game in the Nations League as they finished second, three points behind Serbia. He scored a hugely impressive 6 goals in 6 games. However, that didn't stop them drawing 0-0 at home to Slovenia, losing 2-1 in Slovenia and losing 2-0 at home to Serbia.

Haaland is obviously a brilliant player who would start for every team in the world. He doesn't make Norway unbeatable, and the fact that they can't even beat Latvia without him should be a source of confidence about the abilities of the rest of their squad.

With matchday 6 and 8 free the following European nations are available for friendlies on those dates . We have to play a friendly although it doesn't necessarily need to be against a UEFA nation.

September 11th or 12th

Hosts - Germany
Group B - France
Group C - England (12th only)
Group D - Turkey
Group E - Czech Republic
Group F -Azerbaijan
Group G - Hungary

October 15th-17th

Hosts - Germany
Group B - France (16th or 17th)
Group C - North Macedonia (17th only)
Group D - Armenia
Group E - Albania
Group F - Estonia (16th or 17th)
Group G - Bulgaria

Edited by Pie Of The Month
Updated with Group F teams

38 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Let's be very realistic here, Spain are winning this group. We're nowhere near close to challenging Spain. 

Ironically, I've thought for ages if we had a Haaland level striker, that would bring us closer to bring a pot one team.

They will almost certainly win the group, aye.

But in qualifying for Qatar, they lost in Sweden and drew at home with Greece. For Euro 2020, they drew twice (with Norway and Sweden). There’s no reason we can’t realistically target getting something off them at home, imo. 

With matchday 6 and 8 free the following European nations are available for friendlies on those dates . We have to play a friendly although it doesn't necessarily need to be against a UEFA nation.
September 11th or 12th
Hosts - Germany
Group B - France
Group C - England (12th only)
Group D - Turkey
Group E - Czech Republic
Group F -Azerbaijan
Group G - Hungary
October 15th-17th
Hosts - Germany
Group B - France (16th or 17th)
Group C - North Macedonia (17th only)
Group D - Armenia
Group E - Albania
Group F - Estonia (16th or 17th)
Group G - Bulgaria

I think we will probably play England at Hampden, call it some sort of 150th anniversary celebration or something.

The good news is that both of our idle matchdays are in the second half of a double header so we don’t need to worry about risking our players in meaningless friendlies three days before a vital qualifier.

Personally I’d like to see winnable games because world ranking is important for World Cup qualifying purposes and our ranking might take a bit of a bartering being in league A. Someone like Czech/Hungary/Turkey at Hampden and then a trip to Bulgaria, Albania or North Macedonia would be optimal. 

Really looking forward to that trudge home from Hampden at about half 10 on a Sunday night in November after watching Haaland score a 99th minute winner to consign us to the playoffs before teabagging the first few fans he can find.

Good to see a decent kick-off time on a Saturday though, even if it does give flashbacks to that Serbia game where we were fucking woeful.  Then so far, so UEFA with 2 Tuesday nights.  Spain one should be a great atmosphere though, particularly if we've gotten a promising result against Cyprus.  Quite a good time to get that Spain game too, they'll have to sit out the Summer dates for their Nations League games, so if they are to drop points early, I don't want to be the team facing them in the Autumn.

I’m not a great fan of the late kick offs that see me getting home about midnight, so the 2pm kick off for the Cyprus game should make what would have been a fairly unattractive fixture a more popular choice.

1 minute ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I'm not embarrassed in the slightest 😂 he's just a tedious bore who P&B won't even let me add to the ignore list.

He’s a good poster that adds plenty of value, and seems to relish putting morons and their ludicrous opinions in their place solely with facts. It’s great to watch.