euro 2024 seed stage group

Craigieboy86

15 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

It could be either but they are also building a new stadium in Limassol which should be ready by the time we play there which is a possibility. It still being the English school holidays when we play in Cyprus hasn't helped prices.

English schools go back the beginning of that week. Was looking more into flights and seems with Ryanair its to far in advance to book so hopefully more available flights and route options in coming months.

14 hours ago, TommyICT said:

Never been abroad to support Scotland however it’s always been on the bucket list , have been to plenty of the games at hampden.

what would be the likelihood of getting a ticket for these away fixtures?

especially in Cyprus and Spain 

I think you might struggle to get official away tickets from the SFA if you're not in the SSC, but I've been to quite a few away games in the last few years (including Cyprus in 2019) and never had any problems getting tickets in the home ends. There's always been a decent amount of Scotland fans in the home ends and never been any bother.

I also used Davy's bus and ticket scheme that @Arch Stanton mentioned for Cyprus last time, so would definitely recommend doing that if you're keen to go to that game.  

Edited by dezz

Steve Clarke's thoughts on the draw:

We have the safety net of the play-off but that won’t be in our mind. We want to qualify as of right. We’ve had enough of those play-offs. Let’s just try and qualify directly. That would be much better. It’s a tough competitive group and I’d imagine teams will drop points along the way. It’s about winning games that you have to win. It’ll be a competitive group. Tough games. But games we’ll look forward to.

We’ve got recent history against Cyprus. My first game as head coach was against Cyprus. We know them quite well and I know their coach Temuri Ketsbaia. I worked with him briefly at Newcastle so we know a little bit what to expect there. Not for me personally but Scotland has got some strange memories, some bad memories, from Georgia so it’s a chance to put that right. Norway – we know the threats they’ve got and it’s a tough game. Obviously, Spain as the pot one team are tough opponents.

We think we’re improving, we think we’re getting better so let’s see what the games bring. It could have been an easier draw but in a strange way that probably suits us. The Scottish mentality is always to try and do well against teams we’re not expected to do well against. I’m reasonably happy with the draw.

Steve Clarke

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-clarke-insists-scotland-aiming-28193308

It’s a tough group but hopefully the other four teams are looking at Scotland thinking that’s a tough draw as well. It’s all about competing and trying to prove yourself against the best and we’ve certainly got some top players who are going to have to play very well against the top teams. It’s all speculation and thinking ahead. We’ll deal with the games when they come along.

The schedule will be better for us next year as we were one of the ones to suffer from the backlog of fixtures, with the Ukraine situation and covid. No more three game windows, which is good. Two games are easier to manage. You get a little more time on the grass. We were certainly digging deep into our squad by the third game the last time but it was great that the players who we brought in managed to step up to get the result we needed. That’s a good thing moving forward.

Steve Clarke

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-clarke-relishing-erling-haaland-28192824

It’s going to be competitive. There are five good teams, and hopefully, we can be the best. Cyprus was my first game as head coach, so I’ve got good memories of that one. The games aren’t won yet. You have to go there, and you have to be competitive. We think that we’re confident enough to try and continue that through to the groups. We work day to day, week to week. We try to improve all the time; we feel as though we’re improving, and we want to continue that improvement. To continue that improvement we need to qualify for EURO 2024: that’s the aim.

Steve Clarke

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scotland-to-face-spain-and-norway-in-euro-2024-qualifying/

I didn’t realise Ketsbaia was the Cyprus manager now. Not only is he a Georgian, but he was the Georgia manager for five years. Adds some meat to the Cyprus/Georgia matches.

Interestingly he narrowly avoided facing Scotland as Georgia manager at both ends of his reign. He took over shortly after the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign where we were in their group, and then left just before the Euro 2016 qualifiers when we met them again. 

50 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I didn’t realise Ketsbaia was the Cyprus manager now. Not only is he a Georgian, but he was the Georgia manager for five years. Adds some meat to the Cyprus/Georgia matches.

Interestingly he narrowly avoided facing Scotland as Georgia manager at both ends of his reign. He took over shortly after the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign where we were in their group, and then left just before the Euro 2016 qualifiers when we met them again. 

Dundee hoor

18 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Any idea when the tickets will go on sale? After the World Cup is out the road or before then?

They'll have supporters club renewals to sort out first at the end of the year so I would imagine early next year.  With SSC members getting the discounts on individual tickets and the opportunity to buy the package for the group stage they need to get that done before they put the tickets on sale.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I have the fear they're going to get greedy and hike the prices again.

i got that vibe from the ssc survey thing. Asking questions like whether anything would stop you attending game etc. 

There was some pretty bizarre questions. Giving points for buying merchandise or attending womens/youths games. Assuming these will be rejected. 

My favourite question from the survey was what is your awareness and level of support of the England national team.

Usually in these surveys you can get what they are looking for such as the questions in the post above about whether you'd like points for buying merchandise or whatever but I'm still confused as to what they get from any answers to the England question.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

Just now, invergowrie arab said:

I don't see why you shouldn't get points for attending women's games. Would hopefully boost the attendances too.

I'm not a fan of a points based system full stop as it confuses disposal income and time with "loyalty" but there probably isn't a better system. 

The number of badges on your glengarry is the only fair system.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 11:06, craigkillie said:

I think we will probably play England at Hampden, call it some sort of 150th anniversary celebration or something.

Confirmed, chance for England to get a scalp against one of the Nations League A big boys.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

25 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

We'll have to watch that these lower league hatchet men don't injure our flair players.

It’s really great that we keep announcing friendlies against small countries and minnows of international football. The opportunity to share a pitch with league A juggernauts could be a once in a career opportunity for the tiny nations of Turkey and England. 

Not a fan of including friendlies in these types of packages. A home game for me is a 200 mile round trip. Not something I really want to do for a friendly, especially when we’ve played england about 5 x in the last decade. I know I’ll likely be able to sell the ticket easy enough but just a bit annoying. 

1 hour ago, Tartan Dave said:

Not a fan of including friendlies in these types of packages. A home game for me is a 200 mile round trip. Not something I really want to do for a friendly, especially when we’ve played england about 5 x in the last decade. I know I’ll likely be able to sell the ticket easy enough but just a bit annoying. 

There's no saving between the 5 match package and the individual games so you could just not buy tickets to the England game.

43 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

There's no saving between the 5 match package and the individual games so you could just not buy tickets to the England game.

Go on sale a week later so harder to organise that with the lads I go with. It’s very much a first world problem and it will likely not leave me out of pocket but I fancied a wee moan 

I don't see why you shouldn't get points for attending women's games. Would hopefully boost the attendances too.
I'm not a fan of a points based system full stop as it confuses disposal income and time with "loyalty" but there probably isn't a better system. 

I’m a supporter of the women’s team but the vast majority of SSC members buy it for the men’s team’s games.

If they continued to give away free tickets for SSC members and offered a point for it then you would have thousands of seats claimed for a point but not used.

You don’t get many Scotland fans travelling to away women’s games and there isn’t a shortage of seats for home games so I don’t really see the need to include it in the membership (aside from the free tickets which is a nice perk).