euro 2024 seed stage group

Craigieboy86

2 minutes ago, Ayr23 said:

Few of us talking about the whole “Week of football”. We don’t think it’s worked. Bring back Saturday and Wednesday games. 

It was Fri + Tue latterly, with us having some Sat + Tue due to Police Scotland.

11 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

So we let them choose which teams they won't play and what days they can't play on? 

Nations can apparently nominate dates to avoid: national holidays/elections/other big events/etc. If true this may be a case of UEFA forgetting to put Spain's request into their supercomputer, rather than the Spaniards only mentioning it now.

Every team has fans convinced it's to do with their group. There's Welsh fans thinking it's to do with Turkey v Armenia and Ireland fans thinking it's because they are playing France away the day before France are playing at home in the Rugby World Cup v the All Blacks.

8 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Turkey vs Armenia is one I'm surprised isn't banned. Surely a much greater potential for trouble than Spain vs Gibraltar.

Turkey have close ties with Azerbaijan right? And Azerbaijan at war with Armenia. 

Given that Belarus/Ukraine are kept apart, I’m surprised Turkey/Armenia aren’t.

At some point one of these prohibited clashes is going to pop up at the actual euros. Although perhaps having a game in a neutral country is less problematic than having to play home and away qualifiers. 

11 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Turkey have close ties with Azerbaijan right? And Azerbaijan at war with Armenia. 

Given that Belarus/Ukraine are kept apart, I’m surprised Turkey/Armenia aren’t.

At some point one of these prohibited clashes is going to pop up at the actual euros. Although perhaps having a game in a neutral country is less problematic than having to play home and away qualifiers. 

Yeah, Turkey are seen as being on Azerbaijan's side and also committed, and still ludicrously deny, committee a genocide if Armenians after World War One. The two countries don't like each other.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Something which is also true of every single other team in our group apart from Spain, given that Norway's last automatic qualification was sealed in 1999.

Still have no idea what your point is? Nothing you're going to say will make me feel positive about Scotland's chances and whether I'm positive or negative will make zero difference to how we get on.

Go look at some number sequences and relax.

So we let them choose which teams they won't play and what days they can't play on? 

It doesn't seem unreasonable to let teams request a date they don't want to play on for whatever reason. If everything is shut down in Spain on that day and it's a national holiday, it would be a bit much for UEFA to demand that they have to play a fixture on that specific one despite there being two other days available.

32 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

We will have an independence referendum in October next year so its probably us have told the Spanish we're not coming in case their polis set about us.

People still seriously believe that the October 2023 referendum is actually happening? 

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Are Norway the new Scotland? They’ve made a few tournaments before but nothing since euro 2000, so possibly the longest active drought of uefa teams. 

Aye, but they were shite before their purple patch in the Nineties. Only qualified for one tournament before 1994, and that was by winning a head-to-head against the Irish Free State. They've just reverted to type like Iceland, rather than had a fall from grace like us and Hungary (apparently we were quite good the further back you go from 1998).

29 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Still have no idea what your point is? Nothing you're going to say will make me feel positive about Scotland's chances and whether I'm positive or negative will make zero difference to how we get on.

Go look at some number sequences and relax.

The point is that you specifically replied to the post below by talking down our win over Ireland, despite the fact that our biggest rivals for qualifying lost to a team that are about the same level as Ireland on the same matchday. Nobody is requiring you to be positive, but it helps if your posts have some degree of logic or sense to them. If they don't people will disagree.

12 hours ago, kudaark said:

After our last 3 great results, everyone here has become miserable gits because we have to beat the mighty Norway and Georgia to get to the Euros. We avoided Ukraine and Turkey. We can absolutely get second. We easily have better squads than those two teams.

8 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Your analysis and predictions on the politics sub forum, much like this sub forum, are almost exclusively wrong so I'm heartened by this take.

The Supreme Court is going to throw the Scottish Government’s case out, so the chances of the referendum going ahead on that date are close to nil.