euro 2024 seed stage group

Craigieboy86

They will probably just be changing the opener v Cyprus.

Instead of Saturday at 2:00pm, it will be changed to a Monday at 5.45.

After all, UEFA wouldn’t want anyone going to at least one game, at a decent time. 

Just now, craigkillie said:

Seems like every FA have had the same message, so it's possible it won't affect ours at all.

Henry Winter is saying it's one group where they've messed something up but they won't say which one.

Noel Mooney the Welsh FA chief exec saying they'll sort it out in reply to folk saying they've booked up so I've no idea if he means he thinks the fixtures will be fine in the end or they'll get people sorted with refunds or whatever.

Booked a hotel in Olso for a few of us, luckily free cancellation! I’ve not seen any other teams in other groups put out the same message? 

ETA - Seen Wales and others have.

Edited by Ayr23

The fact we’ve not announced anything yet suggests our group is impacted. I can’t really see what has gone wrong? It won’t be kick off times, they can get changed later on without major drama.

Edited by Ayr23

3 minutes ago, Ayr23 said:

The fact we’ve not announced anything yet suggests our group is impacted. I can’t really see what has gone wrong? It won’t be kick off times, they can get changed later on without major drama.

The only thing I can see in our fixtures is 3 away games in a row but even by UEFA's own rules they only say they strive to respect the principle of a max 2 home or 2 away in a row, nothing about it being a definite rule that you can't have that.

uefaoptions.png

Could be a TV scheduling clash of some sort - for example two nations in the same market playing at the same time. I'm not sure the silence definitely means there's an issue with our group - it's a Sunday night so the relevant person involved in the SFA might not necessarily be immediately contactable and it might have been just luck that the Welsh FA person was.

I'd hope if it was about us having three away games in a row that we wouldn't be kicking up too much of a fuss about it - the first two are in separate matchdays anyway, and then the last one means that we end up with Norway at home last, which should be exactly how we want it.

Edited by craigkillie

Spain are going to have to play on or around that date, so hopefully it just means the game being shifted by a day. Unless they're happy to play away from home, in which case I'd suggest just swapping our two games against them around.

5 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I've read online, and I hope this is horseshit, that Spain asked UEFA for a date exemption before the fixtures came out as, apparently, 12th October is a national and religious holiday in Spain.

So we let them choose which teams they won't play and what days they can't play on? 

Just now, craigkillie said:

Spain are going to have to play on or around that date, so hopefully it just means the game being shifted by a day. Unless they're happy to play away from home, in which case I'd suggest just swapping our two games against them around.

Or, if they don't want to play, they lose the game 3-0. Unless it's against Norway in which case that would be quite shit.

7 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I've read online, and I hope this is horseshit, that Spain asked UEFA for a date exemption before the fixtures came out as, apparently, 12th October is a national and religious holiday in Spain.

Just looked it up.

12th October is National Day of Spain. Turns out it’s a pretty big deal. For purely selfish reasons, I’d love it to be moved to the Saturday.

Just now, Ayr23 said:

Few of us talking about the whole “Week of football”. We don’t think it’s worked. Bring back Saturday and Wednesday games. 

The clubs pushed back against Wednesday games in the final midweek of an international break. Even before the week of football came in, they were playing Friday/Tuesday. 

The week of football is here to stay. 

2 minutes ago, Ayr23 said:

Few of us talking about the whole “Week of football”. We don’t think it’s worked. Bring back Saturday and Wednesday games. 

Only 2 days of the week to sell advertising instead of the current 6? FIFA/UEFA will never go back to that.