euro 2024 seed stage group

Craigieboy86

8 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Working on the basis that Scotland don't qualify (because if we do, who gives a shit about the playoffs)...

Automatic qualifiers:

Germany (hosts), Spain, Norway, France, Netherlands, Italy, England, Croatia, Wales, Poland,  Czechia, Belgium, Sweden, Serbia, Hungary, Denmark, Slovenia, Switzerland, Israel, Portugal, Slovakia

Playoff Path C-

Georgia vs Kazakhstan

Greece vs Türkiye 

Playoff Path B-

Bosnia and Herzegovina vs Ukraine

Scotland vs Finland

Playoff Path A-

Austria enter playoffs despite finishing bottom of their Nations League group. All the other pot As qualify automatically so the best Pot D  team, Estonia, enter playoffs along with the best two remaining non-qualifiers in the overall rankings... Iceland and Republic of Ireland.

I think Austria would be at home and there would be a draw to decide the other three but not sure.

It wouldn't automatically be Ukraine or Finland in our path in that case, it could be any of the other League B teams.

20 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Yes but we know Georgia are exactly the sort of team who will get twatted by Spain and Norway but make like difficult as f**k for us. 

Our previous record against Georgia shouldn't factor in at all here. Of the starting XI who lost there in 2015 only Robertson is still playing for Scotland so it's an almost completely different squad (even from the bench that night Gordon and Hanley are the only two still involved) and one of the foundations of Clarke's success has been ending our tendency to drop points to the weaker sides in qualifying groups. The only time we've dropped points to a side from a lower pot in a qualifying group under him was Israel away in the last campaign. The mental issue with going to countries like Georgia isn't there isn't there any more.

We certainly could have had easier draws (see Wales being spawny c***s as usual) with Norway having a cheat code of a centre forward and Georgia being one of the best Pot 4 sides, but we could have had worse as well. If we actually want to go to tournaments and compete to get out of groups rather than turning up for a participation award we need to beat better sides than those two. Neither of them will be particularly pleased that we're the pot two side they've ended up with either - much like we're saying, it could certainly have been worse for them but it could have been much better.

14 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Usually there is a meeting between the FAs. Usually at a later date, I think.

They stopped that a while ago. It’s computer generated now.

I’m sure there’s usually restrictions on countries with bad winters playing games at home during the winter. Might mean we avoid an away game in Norway in the last round of fixtures in November.

The last qualifier at Hampden against Spain was quality, although I'm still furious at Big Mick McManus losing the flight of the ball for their late winner. To come back from 2-0 down to that Spain team was incredible, I can't recall many other games where we've been a couple of goals down and recovered

1 minute ago, Fuctifano said:

We nearly got a point off Spain at Hampden when they had their superteam with Xavi / Iniesta / Villa etc, we're far better now than then and they're worse (while still very good), I'm not writing that game off at all. 

Was that the game where we clawed 0-2 back to 2-2, then decided to play a flat 10-0-0 strung out across our own 6 yard box, so they stuck on Llorente and basically hoofed it at him knowing we'd be unable to cope with it?

We nearly got a point off Spain at Hampden when they had their superteam with Xavi / Iniesta / Villa etc, we're far better now than then and they're worse (while still very good), I'm not writing that game off at all. 
Exactly, every campaign you get people saying that the top seed will beat everybody twice and it doesn't happen that often, we have to aim to take points from them as Norway will fancy something from them too

3 minutes ago, The 55 said:

Someone is going to get pissed off with Haaland scoring hat tricks and crunch him out the game for a year, so thst problem will go away.

Aye, I was going to add that to the debate. Surely some self-respecting defender down south will stookie the guy? They're not going to put up with his goal scoring nonsense. Ruins the game! 😁

As for getting anything out of Spain away, I suspect all we'll come back with is a straw donkey and sunburn 😔

1 minute ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:
6 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Exactly, every campaign you get people saying that the top seed will beat everybody twice and it doesn't happen that often, we have to aim to take points from them as Norway will fancy something from them too

I can’t be arsed checking but would be interesting to see how often it actually happens.

I think I remember France doing it for Euro 2004. No doubt it’s happened a few times since then but it can’t be often.