euro 2024 seed stage group

Craigieboy86

5 minutes ago, Gaz said:

A better squad, yes. But as we've seen with Wales over the past few years having one genuine superstar can elevate a weaker team to great heights.

Except it hasn't ith Norway. Haaland scored all but one of their goals in the Nations League, and they still lost the group to Serbia.

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

We have easily had a better squad than Georgia throughout our history. We've still never even got a point or scored a goal there. Norway, meanwhile, have the best player in the world. It's about as bad as it could have been. We have a chance, but it would be weird if people were leaping for joy considering that there were dozens of easier draws we could have got.

Haaland is not the best player in the world. Yeah granted he is fucking lethal in the box but we cut the supply to him and they are beatable.

1 minute ago, Jambomo said:

Thing is, now I trust us to go and win the games we should win against Georgia etc (unless it’s in June) and even think we are capable of being the ones that can cause an upset.

I won’t let the fact I am usually wrong cloud my optimism 🤣

I reckon we'll take something from Spain. That may well be hopelessly naive.

4 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Anyone want to go through the groups and predict the likely playoff paths? 

No.

This used to be my bag years ago, but I've recently been forced to admit that my brain has atrophied to the point that even the Nations League confuses me, and I feel bad for making fun of the auld yins who used to be flummoxed by stuff like the offside rule.

2 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Forgot Georgia have that baller that plays with Napoli. We can forget about getting a result over there. 3rd and play off against Serbia again, if we’re lucky.

Do you practice that levl long pessimism, or is it just a natural gift?

Just need to hope we don't get Georgia away in June. The heat and our recent June form would give me the fear.

From away trips point of view Spain will do their usual and not announce the stadium until they have to meaning there's not much point booking anything, Norway will be pricey, Georgia is a bit of a c**t to get to and Cyprus is a bit meh.

9 minutes ago, kudaark said:

After our last 3 great results, everyone here has become miserable gits because we have to beat the mighty Norway and Georgia to get to the Euros. We avoided Ukraine and Turkey. We can absolutely get second. We easily have better squads than those two teams.

I dunno - i think having the best player in the world with a few half decent players behind him take Norway out of the 'ach we shouldn't be fearing them' category - that big goth could take them to the Euros on his own. I think the view of Norway as an international side will change a fair bit in the near future. As we've known for years - having a fairly solid group of players with one top level attacking player takes you a long way in International football.

Remember when Greer snapped Lenandowski around the knees in the first 10 minutes and we went and got a good result in Poland, perhaps SSC’s instructions for Hanley or McKenna against Norway??

Historically we've always struggled with the smaller teams. Can't afford to do that this year.

Six points from Cyprus / Georgia each and 3 points minimum from Norway. We need to hope that Spain thump every team home and away.

I was going to say Norway & Georgia are probably happy to have Scotland as their pot 2 side, but looking at the groups there are a lot of bang average pot 2s. Scotland, Wales, Austria, Finland, Israel, Bosnia.

There will likely be a few pot 3/4 teams sneaking into a 2nd place.

30 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Anyone want to go through the groups and predict the likely playoff paths? 

Working on the basis that Scotland don't qualify (because if we do, who gives a shit about the playoffs)...

Automatic qualifiers:

Germany (hosts), Spain, Norway, France, Netherlands, Italy, England, Croatia, Wales, Poland,  Czechia, Belgium, Sweden, Serbia, Hungary, Denmark, Slovenia, Switzerland, Israel, Portugal, Slovakia

Playoff Path C-

Georgia vs Kazakhstan

Greece vs Türkiye 

Playoff Path B-

Bosnia and Herzegovina and Scotland get home draws.

Finland and Ukraine, the best non-qualifiers who didn't win their NL group, are in the playoffs but not necessary in Path B... see below.

Playoff Path A-

Austria enter playoffs despite finishing bottom of their Nations League group. All the other pot As qualify automatically so the best Pot D team, Estonia, enter playoffs along with the best two remaining non-qualifiers in the overall rankings... Iceland and Republic of Ireland.

I think Austria would be at home in Pot A and Estonia would be in Pot A too. 

There would be a draw to decide which of the Pot B qualifiers (Finland, Ukraine, Iceland and Republic of Ireland) get drawn in Pot B and which move up to Pot A. Scotland would be playing one of those four, as would Bosnia and Herzegovina. If we both got through we would play the Bosnians in the final... home advantage decided by luck of the draw.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Spain should win the group but they are definitely not as good as years gone by. They are in transition with lots of young players being blooded - I’d say there’s chances of points there. Haaland is better when De Bruyne is supplying him on a plate not Josh King wouldn’t go over board with fear about Norway. 

Fairly happy with the group. Will probably go to the wire with all teams taking points here & there. Bring it on