Hibernian v Aberdeen 17/09/22

3 hours ago, Hibee_Hibernian said:

The post match Aberdeen meltdown has been quite enjoyable, I see Roos is getting involved as well now.

It’s pretty embarrassing considering the penalty we did get was a 50/50 decision and there were 2 of the most blatant handballs you’re going to see that we didn’t get.

I thought it at the time and seeing it in the highlights Stewart could easily have been sent off for the foul on Boyle in the first half as he was through 1 on 1 if he hadn’t been brought down. 

First handball could have been a penalty, and if it had been given we would still have had 11 players on the pitch and the second incident wouldn't have happened. The penalty that was given is, I think any sane person with eyes can see, a ridiculous decision.  The second handball you are on about isn't a penalty because Polvara lands on the ball and that is never going to be given even with VAR. "Roos is getting involved as well now" is probably because he is the Aberdeen goalkeeper and saw the incident clear as day.

51 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

First handball could have been a penalty, and if it had been given we would still have had 11 players on the pitch and the second incident wouldn't have happened. The penalty that was given is, I think any sane person with eyes can see, a ridiculous decision.  The second handball you are on about isn't a penalty because Polvara lands on the ball and that is never going to be given even with VAR. "Roos is getting involved as well now" is probably because he is the Aberdeen goalkeeper and saw the incident clear as day.

That's certainly one way to look at it, although I've seen a few Dons fans say the Polvara one was more of a pen. Opinions, eh?

The penalty could as easily have been a fk the other way tbh, Scales was unlucky (although he would have remained on anyway had he not had a ridiculous challenge on Campbell 2 mins earlier).

On Goodwin and Roos, whatever we think of the pen incident (and I think my assessment is reasonable) it wasn't a dive.

Absolute embarrassment admitting trying to influence the ref pre match and then doubling down by calling Porto a cheat over a nothing incident.

Should get a 6 month touchline ban, that should take him to "mutually agreed departure" territory anyway 😂.

Edited by Leith Green

34 minutes ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

The McCrorie one is one of the most blatant penalties you'll see. He sees the ball coming then bats it away with an outstretched arm. Guess Goodwin didn't have a good view of it or something.

As I said, if that penalty had been given we would still have had 11 players on the pitch, it may have been saved and the actual penalty incident doesn't happen.

2 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

That's certainly one way to look at it, although I've seen a few Dons fans say the Polvara one was more of a pen. Opinions, eh?

The penalty could as easily have been a fk the other way tbh, Scales was unlucky (although he would have remained on anyway had he not had a ridiculous challenge on Campbell 2 mins earlier).

On Goodwin and Roos, whatever we think of the pen incident (and I think my assessment is reasonable) it wasn't a dive.

Absolute embarrassment admitting trying to influence the ref pre match and then doubling down by calling Porto a cheat over a nothing incident.

Should get a 6 month touchline ban, that should take him to "mutually agreed departure" territory anyway 😂.

"A nothing incident" which gets Hibs a penalty and your opponents down to 10 men for the entire second half. 

4 hours ago, Hibee_Hibernian said:

I thought it at the time and seeing it in the highlights Stewart could easily have been sent off for the foul on Boyle in the first half as he was through 1 on 1 if he hadn’t been brought down. 

Scales clears the ball before the pass is getting to Boyle anyway, so I'm not sure how he could have been through one-on-one. 

35 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

"A nothing incident" which gets Hibs a penalty and your opponents down to 10 men for the entire second half. 

Yep, 6 of one, half dozen of the other between Porteous and Scales - and as I also said, it could have gone the other way and been a fk to Aberdeen.

Its the kind of incident that, on the halfway line, wouldnt even have been a talking point.

And, as also mentioned - Scales was only sent off because it was a 2nd yellow, as he made a stupid challenge only 2 minutes before.

8 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Yep, 6 of one, half dozen of the other between Porteous and Scales - and as I also said, it could have gone the other way and been a fk to Aberdeen.

Its the kind of incident that, on the halfway line, wouldnt even have been a talking point.

And, as also mentioned - Scales was only sent off because it was a 2nd yellow, as he made a stupid challenge only 2 minutes before.

Come on now, this isn’t true. Porteous has been clever here. I’m not calling him a cheat or seething about it because it’s quite clever and it’s just a variation of stuff that goes on at every set piece. But it’s quite clear he ensures he’s goal side, ensures there’s contact between the two and then goes down. 

The ref won’t see it in normal time because he’s watching 10 guys at once. It’s very clever but it’s certainly no 50/50 incident. 

22 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

You're usually more sensible than that.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Come on now, this isn’t true. Porteous has been clever here. I’m not calling him a cheat or seething about it because it’s quite clever and it’s just a variation of stuff that goes on at every set piece. But it’s quite clear he ensures he’s goal side, ensures there’s contact between the two and then goes down. 

The ref won’t see it in normal time because he’s watching 10 guys at once. It’s very clever but it’s certainly no 50/50 incident. 

When you watch the Sky highlights, you can see that Scales tried  (failed) to block off Porteous at the start of the corner, but then Porteous got in front of him and their arms were all over each other.

I get the "clever" bit and accept what your saying there - and that, frankly, is what Jim Goodwin should have said.

What he actually said - and this,  @kingjoey is why I am ploughing this particular furrow😉 -  was that RP is a cheat (he actually used that word) and that he wins "lots" of penalties by conning refs.

Ryan Porteous has won 2 penalties in his entire Hibs career, including the one on  Saturday.

Goodwin is understandably deflecting from his tactical mess on Saturday, his setup was poor from the start and he never addressed the extra numbers we had in midfield even after Scales went off.

But he shows zero class in saying what he did.

15 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

When you watch the Sky highlights, you can see that Scales tried  (failed) to block off Porteous at the start of the corner, but then Porteous got in front of him and their arms were all over each other.

I get the "clever" bit and accept what your saying there - and that, frankly, is what Jim Goodwin should have said.

What he actually said - and this,  @kingjoey is why I am ploughing this particular furrow😉 -  was that RP is a cheat (he actually used that word) and that he wins "lots" of penalties by conning refs.

Ryan Porteous has won 2 penalties in his entire Hibs career, including the one on  Saturday.

Goodwin is understandably deflecting from his tactical mess on Saturday, his setup was poor from the start and he never addressed the extra numbers we had in midfield even after Scales went off.

Well agree to disagree as I think porteous has just done him there, scales hasn’t (to me) done much wrong other than be sucked in to it. 

Im not moaning that much, we scored a header against hearts last season when scott brown shoved Ryan hedges into a hearts player to block them off. ‘Cheating’ in some eyes but I loved it, I can’t lie. 

18 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I've never commented on Goodwin's interview, simply on what happened at the three penalty incidents. The reason that Porteous gets in front of Scales is that he pulls his shirt, then puts his arm round Scales neck and pulls Scales to the ground on top of him. 

So let me get this straight. Goodwin warned his players and the referee about Porteous cheating before the game describing exactly what he does to win fouls. Near the end of the first half Scales does what he was warned against by his manager and the referee, despite being warned about Porteous gives the penalty. Surely Porteous is the last person Goodwin should be upset with?

Goodwins comments are spot on. It is a form of cheating, he’s won a penalty and got a man sent off with the way he has manipulated his marker to con the ref when he goes down.

Its about the only thing Goodwin got right all day though. 

2 players suspended for the next game now and 2 injured. No real form yet is a bigger concern.

Del will be planning his 1-0 victory as we speak.