Monday Night Football 2022/23 Thread

lichtie23

I know the Chiefs suffered a couple of dodgy decisions from the referees, but, I swear, they could fall in a barrel of shite and come out smelling of roses. Holding on a missed FG by what was an iffy-looking backup kicker? The Chiefs are prime Belichick era Patriots, with a healthy dose of Fergie era Man Utd, and the Old Firm. Reid is Belichick, Mahomes is Brady, Kelce is Gronkowski, and before he buggered off, Tyreek Hill was Julian Edelman.

Yes, they’re good, but by Christ, can someone just break both Mahomes and Kelce in two? Not that I am condoning deliberate un-necessary violence against anyone or anything. Just want to see their smug faces hammered into the mud. Someone, please. 😛

57 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I know the Chiefs suffered a couple of dodgy decisions from the referees, but, I swear, they could fall in a barrel of shite and come out smelling of roses. Holding on a missed FG by what was an iffy-looking backup kicker? The Chiefs are prime Belichick era Patriots, with a healthy dose of Fergie era Man Utd, and the Old Firm. Reid is Belichick, Mahomes is Brady, Kelce is Gronkowski, and before he buggered off, Tyreek Hill was Julian Edelman.

Yes, they’re good, but by Christ, can someone just break both Mahomes and Kelce in two? Not that I am condoning deliberate un-necessary violence against anyone or anything. Just want to see their smug faces hammered into the mud. Someone, please. 😛

The Patriots won superbowls

United won Barclays Titles

The old firm win everything up here

The Chiefs have 1 Super Bowl to their name. There not as dominant as many think 

17 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

The Patriots won superbowls

United won Barclays Titles

The old firm win everything up here

The Chiefs have 1 Super Bowl to their name. There not as dominant as many think 

No, they aren’t as dominant in pure wins terms, but they, like New England, Man U, and The Old Firm, display the same ‘barrel of shite’ tendencies - in spades. I could fully believe that Kansas City fans are aware of the phrase ‘Tavernier penalty 90+1 mins’. 😜

Edited by pozbaird

Corey Linsley downgraded to 'Questionable', which doesn't bode well for LAC's already anaemic run game. 

I think this will be a one score game either way. Chargers pass rush is predictably non-existent without Bosa, and the run D is still absolutely atrocious. I think Denver will completely shut down any LAC attempt to run the ball, and given that there isn't a WR on the roster who can generate any sort of separation I see a long night of 3 & outs with maybe one sustained drive in each half. Even without Williams, if the Broncos make any sort of sustained effort to run the ball they'll trample all over Staley's idiotic scheme, and I don't see Wilson continuing to struggle the way he has so far this season. JC Jackson has been a complete liability at outside corner so far, so I think that Wilson won't have a better opportunity the whole year to finally break out of his funk. I think Denver will benefit from the inevitable huge run that the Chargers D will give up, and I think Jackson will get toasted down the sideline at least once, so while I think LAC have more talent on O the shitty D will be their undoing that lets Denver hang around.

21-20'ish either way, probably including some sort of kicking or ST's calamity on LAC's part.

KC being beaten yesterday is the chink in the door that a well-coached Chargers team should be capable of taking advantage of, but this is no such thing. I think we're going to see more or less a replay of last year with LAC managing to scrape enough wins to stay within a game or two, before injuries and inexplicable losses due to shitty coaching in the main take their toll and they ultimately fall away. This has the stink of one of those games that LAC really should be winning but somehow find some way to lose. No doubt they'll somehow find a way to beat KC and Miami or something later in the year when it really doesn't count for anything.

I'm also unsure why a lot more isn't being made about Keenan Allen having been considered 'week to week' since week 2, yet here we are four weeks on and he's still apparently unable to play. Same thing with Donald Parham. It really doesn't say much for their ability to evaluate injuries, especially since they're also one of the perpetually most injured teams.

Chargers to win tonight by a comfortable margin. Easiest predictions of the season…

Denver’s defense will be decent.

Denver’s offense will whiff.

McManus will kick a nice field goal.

Hackett will fcuk up time management and use of timeouts.

Wilson will attend the post match press conference and say ‘Let’s Ride’.

The Jets will pump us at Mile High in the next game.

The Jaguars v Broncos at Wembley will officially be more whiffy than the Old Firm in Europe.

Lewis Hamilton will be appointed our next head coach.

As I suspected an exhibition of complete ineptitude from both teams.

JC Jackson single-handedly hands Denver 10 points in the first half, the Chargers finally bench their 80million dollar liability at half time, and suddenly Russell looks exactly like the hopeless bum he has since week 1 again.

The Chargers have a banged up OL and absolutely no threat at WR, yet they can't somehow scheme to get Ekeler the ball in space, or isolate Mike Williams and throw him jump balls, the one thing he is actually fit for. I don't know how you can justify paying a WR who can't generate any sort of separation for himself 20million per, because every single time the D gives his CB any sort of help over the top he completely vanishes from the game. It's ridiculous how frequently he puts up 8-150 games then the next week it's 1-6.

Chargers are the worst 4-2 I can remember. At least they are picking up wins, but they could easily be 1-5 and I don't think that's remotely as easily explained away as 'no Allen, no Bosa'. JC Jackson looks totally lost and single-handedly undermines the entire pass D any time he's on the field. Keenan Allen returning should shake open the pass game a little bit, but he won't make any difference to an OL that has inexplicably fallen off a cliff in the run game. This reminds me so much of 2015'ish when our RB's were having to make cuts at the hand-off and beat two guys in the backfield just to get back to the LoS. 

In short, these sorts of Chargers performances are totally indefensible with the money they've spent and the pick investment they are still able to put on the field. At some point there has to be some sort of accountability for underperforming players, underperforming units, garbage high dollar FA's, and the inability to scheme players into favourable situations.

Shout out to whoever the moron Broncos ST'er who blew the game was though. That's the sort of idiot mental mistake I expect from Chargers players most weeks, so it was nice to see it come from an opponent for a change. Standing in front of your own guy when he's trying to field a punt :lol:

Edited by Boo Khaki

I don't think that's the problem in Cleveland. You can't really coach a team to overcome Jacoby Brissett. He's the ultimate in limited, risk-averse game manager QB's, and even then he has a propensity to produce one idiotic play every single game you start him. The Browns D is awful. It's no coincidence they are the only team the Chargers have been able to easily run the ball on this season, and their pass D is nothing to write home about either. 

Broncos utterly abused JC Jackson's inability to grasp Staley's scheme in the 1st half. The Chargers benched him at half time, he literally didn't play a single snap in the 2nd half and Mike Davis played outside CB in his stead. Denver managed a grand total of 15 yards in the air through the entirety of the 2nd half and overtime. That's not a coincidence. 

One thing I saw in that game that I haven't before this season is that the Chargers D was lining up three DT's tight over the G-C-G, foregoing the outside rush entirely, and daring the Broncos to try chugging it up the gut. The run D was far better than I expected, but I think that's because the Chargers D was utterly keyed on stopping it, to the point where they only ever mounted a serious rush on Wilson via gap blitzes, and with Mack being the sole OLB and pulling his Tackle so wide that it ensured a 1v1. They clearly don't respect Denver's ability to complete anything over the middle because they were leaving it empty constantly and selling out to overwhelm the interior of Denver's OL both v's the run and pass, and they also weren't bothered about keeping outside contain on the QB, which could be down to the fact there's no tendency to move Russell outside the pocket by design, or that the Chargers don't believe Russell is a threat in that manner any longer. 

It's difficult to say if that's a coaching failure on Denver's part to not take advantage of the empty middle, because the video I posted up the thread shows it happening to Denver time after time this year no matter who they play. Russell has a fundamental problem completing short and intermediate passes over the middle, and regardless of the reasons for that, teams are abusing it and going all out to take away the outside the numbers stuff, which leaves him looking utterly at sea.

Edited by Boo Khaki

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Bonehead play costs the Broncos. 
From the highlights I endured Wilson looked much better this week. I really like the look of the Chargers TE Parham. 

First half, aye, second half, naw. As soon as the Chargers fixed the blown coverage problem Wilson looked every bit as awful as he has all season.

5 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

Good news people

I can't decide if whoever arranged this when the schedule was announced was a Broncos fan or an opposition fan hoping for shits and giggles.

50 minutes ago, Swarley said:

I can't decide if whoever arranged this when the schedule was announced was a Broncos fan or an opposition fan hoping for shits and giggles.

I just think the organisers thought the Broncos would be really exciting with Russell Wilson at QB, plus all their weapons Javonte Williams, Melvin Gordon, Jeudy, Sutton, Hamler, etc. 

Hasn't quite worked out like that.