St Johnstone v Ross County Sat 17/9/22

13 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Broken record but the refereeing. 

The last one off the ball on May - ridiculous. 

Gordon foul there looked strong shout as well. County player just wrestling and not interested in the ball. 

You mean like Hallberg on Samuel? Some bang average 'defending' on show.

3 minutes ago, central staggie said:

You mean like Hallberg on Samuel? Some bang average 'defending' on show.

Slightly different stopping a counter attack against doing it in the box before the ball has even be n delivered. 

At least the penalty shouts will give Callum something to distract us with post match. The "flexibility" he sought in the summer appears to just flicking endlessly between 5-3-2 and 5-2-3.

Genuinely just about got up and left when I saw McLennen go out wide. Tedium

What were the changes to try adapt and beat Ross county today that we haven’t seen multiple times against them already? Other than playing at least 3 players out of their natural position (when there were natural options on the bench) to fit that god awful shape. 

First half was ok, second half was terrible. County gained a foothold which we never even tried to counter and then only one side tried to win the match with the changes made later in the match. 

Just rubbish. 

If that was last season it was a narrow win for County with two average sides separated by the attacking quality of Hungbo or RCC. Take out the attacking quality and there’s your stalemate.

A draw about right. The game badly needed a goal to spark it into life as it seemed to fizzle out the longer it went on.

First half we were okay, but seemed to lose our way in the second apart from a few passages of play.

Trying to find positives, we are playing more football and trying to play through the opposition more, we’re in their box far more and our wing backs are getting much higher up the park. We also look organised and defensively fairly solid.

On the flip side we still lack creativity in the final third, our balls into the box are poor and we rarely look like scoring.

Murphy got into some great areas today but was wasteful, Hallberg is good on the ball but slows every attack down by his need to take loads of touches every time he gets possession. Wright looked our most dangerous player in the first half.

Interested to read a county fan say Clark looked the best player on the park for a spell, will have to look out for that when I watch the game back absolutely fucking never.

We almost looked like we had a plan for a decent bit of that first half. Silly me for just about feeling optimistic at half-time.

Lost our grip on the game totally and the manager did nothing practical to try and rectify it. Over 30 players and he can't make a change of any real note.

Gordon and Mitchell in the back three is going to present distribution problems. McGowan did fine but we shouldn't be relying on him in there when we have such a big squad. Hallberg is still wasted. Wright got into areas where I want to see wing backs for good spell of first half but disappeared in second. Montgomery has some quality when he gets into final third but doesn't do it enough. May and Clark still the way to go but not as effective as against St Mirren.

Oh and we look short of fitness but a point is a point is a point which after last season, can't be sniffed at.

Edited by Radford

Murray should’ve been on sooner in the second half. He’d had controlled that midfield. 

its a game we’d have lost last season. I’ll take a point but an improvement is needed at United on the 1st.

9 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Liam Gordon, defends fine generally but why when the ball ends up at his feet does it end up shelled forward as directly as possible? 🫤

Still thinks he’s playing next to Jamie McCart?

A game where Saints probably could have won, but a draw a fair enough result. County never really looked liked scoring to be fair. Though as the game went on Hallberg really started to struggle.

The ref was absolutely stinking though. Got far too many calls wrong. Aside from the bigger ones, some stupid wee stuff, like throw ins that were clearly county's but give for Saints or total inconsistency generally. Probably the worst was the clear foul by the county player when Saints were countering, giving Saints the advantage and then when the game did stop, not even dealing to the county player, never mind booking them only to then book Wright (I think) later in the game for an identical foul. VAR will show them up. 

Think I must have been sat behind Callum Davidson’s mother / wife as they seemed to be very angry every time I got frustrated at how shite the team was. Which was a lot. 

I don’t think we had any shots on target at home to a terrible Ross County side. Absolutely brutal. The players we have aren’t that bad but the way they are being set up is so depressing. 

Ideally I won’t be back until he’s gone but no doubt will be at tannadice 🙆🏻‍♂️