Queens v FC Edinburgh

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think Callum Antel could have been in goal for us today and the scoreline wouldn't have been any different. I do agree Fox should be No. 1. but I don't think we were threatened enough today to say he was a big part of why we looked better at the back.

Gibson is streets ahead of McKenna and takes the ball forward. I don't think it was coincidence we scored 3 after he came on. He absolutely has to start games for us.

It is infuriating to see Gibson not starting matches when you see the overwhelming difference he makes when he comes on. His appetite to get on the ball yesterday was outstanding and everything started to go through him late on. The frustrating thing is that in the two games we lost to Falkirk and Dunfermline his influence could have made a huge difference to the way we started these games and the eventual outcomes.

Lewis surely has to get some decent amount of game time now - every time I have seen him he exudes class and ability. 

Yesterday was excellent but the opposition were as poor a League 1 side as I have seen - it will be interesting to see if we can go on a run of consistent performances. Let’s hope this isn’t a false dawn.

Agree with the comments on W. Gibson playing. He done more in 5 minutes than McKenna done all game. I do feel a bit sorry for McKenna though - he’s not all that comfortable going past somebody clearly and the feedback from thistle fans was that he looks a lot more comfortable at centre back than right back. Shouts of “your useless McKenna” aren’t going to help somebody low on confidence. Gibson can’t do everything either. I saw him pass on the message to Hendrie  to put Lewis on when we were 4 up. If he’s playing, he probably needs to let Murray be more hands on. 

Overall, I thought it was a really good performance. The 2nd goal was crucial as Edinburgh had come back into it, but defensively we stood up to crosses really well. East was excellent, as were Wilson and Hendrie. Paton got himself in some fantastic positions, but could do with being more clinical. 

Its nitpicking, but Reilly looked pretty low on confidence and I didn’t think was in the game much. It also annoyed me more than it should losing the clean sheet. D.McKay was the poorest of the 3 centre half’s for me, a couple of times he didn’t look all that convincing and the foul for the penalty was very poor. 

Really good win and performance, but still areas to improve on. 

Happy  to see a bit more effort and fight from the players yesterday, something sadly missing in most games this season. Yes FC Edinburgh were poor but we didn't give them time to settle and their lone striker was starved of service. We should have been further ahead at the break but a combination of  Mutch having a good game and poor finishing kept it closer than it needed to be. Four good goals, East's was a cracker, and great for Bange to score on his debut (could have been his first touch of the ball as well). Happy clappers will say even when we win people will moan about something but you can't overlook the obvious that McKenna just isn't comfortable in that position and Wullie replacing him turned the game in our favour again as FC Edinburgh had come into it a bit more. It would have been the cherry on the cake to get a clean sheet but of course we should know by now that Queens defenders can't go a whole game without one of them doing something daft. A repeat performance on Thursday would be good just to build a bit more confidence. 

How many times did Wilson touch the ball in the first half? He seemed to be everywhere playing short passes, long passes, and quick passes and movement to receive a pass back. If you watch the highlights and not just the goal but build up play he was always available and in space to take a pass making it an easy option for his team mates instead of them playing it long.

A good win that was starting to look unlikely when the double substitution changed the whole complex of game. At that stage 1-1 was looking like a final score

18 hours ago, queenslad said:

How many times did Wilson touch the ball in the first half? He seemed to be everywhere playing short passes, long passes, and quick passes and movement to receive a pass back. If you watch the highlights and not just the goal but build up play he was always available and in space to take a pass making it an easy option for his team mates instead of them playing it long.

A good win that was starting to look unlikely when the double substitution changed the whole complex of game. At that stage 1-1 was looking like a final score

Agree. Wilson was excellent. Long may he stay fit. Midfield functioned much better without Cochrane. A fitter Hendrie also contributing much more. Some positives to build on. 

Just watched Edinburgh's highlights ... all four goals were good finishes - helluva strike from East and Gibson picked out Paton well for his second.  What's not to like.

Shame there's a bit of a gap now until the Alloa league game after a decent result like that.

6 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Just watched Edinburgh's highlights ... all four goals were good finishes - helluva strike from East and Gibson picked out Paton well for his second.  What's not to like.

Shame there's a bit of a gap now until the Alloa league game after a decent result like that.

That moment of Lewis Gibson trickery is worth multiple viewings at 0.25 speed 😍

Might as well stick it in here (oo er). As comfortable last night as Saturday, surprisingly. Really expected more from Edinburgh; not a victory as such but I expected them to tighten up. My Mrs had 5-0 QoS on a bet last night and I commented that I'd be shocked if we put more than 2 past them. Poor stuff from Maybury. We may have got them on two poor days but they looked like divisional cannon fodder tbh. Can't believe they put 6 past Airdrie when they managed two shots on target in 180 minutes against our defence.

Felt like a more polished performance from us yesterday. Again though I thought we weren't as good until Gibson came on. Heard from another source that it's Hewitson who doesn't want Gibson to be playing all the time. I hope it's just a rumour that's grown legs because 1) He shouldn't be interfering in the first team affairs and 2) If he thinks we are better without Gibson playing he's a moron.

Great to see Connelly with a goal. Mental he hasn't featured much in the last two games. Couldn't give a shit about this tinpot trophy but it was good to get another solid performance. Roll on the Alloa game.

21 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

... Felt like a more polished performance from us yesterday. Again though I thought we weren't as good until Gibson came on ...

Was it the same team for us as Saturday?  See Ruth scored - any good? Did LG get more game time?  Did McKechnie feature?

Was it the same team for us as Saturday?  See Ruth scored - any good? Did LG get more game time?  Did McKechnie feature?
Currie started, Ruth for Reilly, Murray for McGrory. Think those were the only changes.

Thought Ruth did well enough. Took it forward when he could and put himself about a bit. Couldn't really miss the chance for the goal; Wilson's work to set it up was the most impressive part. Nah no Gibson or McKechnie. I'm assuming the latter is injured.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Felt like a more polished performance from us yesterday.

Really? I didn't think we were anywhere near as good as we were first half on Saturday. Although Edinburgh weren't as bad either and at least offered some effort last night. We were decent throughout, comfortably the better side and 4-0 was about right probably. But Max Currie did at least have to make a couple of saves, one of which was a very good one. Saturday was 4-1 going on about 10-0. Paton should have had a first half hat trick They didn't even have a shot until the penalty in the 94th minute and even that was for a foul outside the box on a player heading away from goal!

But another good performance and home win again. Hopefully we've turned a corner but sometimes you just get teams you match up well against. Maybe Edinburgh are ours. We'll have a better idea after Alloa I guess. Iain Wilson and Josh Todd have absolutely run the show the last two games. When those two play as a pair it's hard to believe there's a better midfield pairing at this level. Keep them fit and we'll not be that far away, whatever formation we play around them.

22 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Currie started, Ruth for Reilly, Murray for McGrory. Think those were the only changes.

Thought Ruth did well enough. Took it forward when he could and put himself about a bit. Couldn't really miss the chance for the goal; Wilson's work to set it up was the most impressive part. Nah no Gibson or McKechnie. I'm assuming the latter is injured.

He's not injured, just not currently getting picked. The only one injured is Morrison (and potentially now Paul McKay).

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Really? I didn't think we were anywhere near as good as we were first half on Saturday. Although Edinburgh weren't as bad either and at least offered some effort last night. We were decent throughout, comfortably the better side and 4-0 was about right probably. But Max Currie did at least have to make a couple of saves, one of which was a very good one. Saturday was 4-1 going on about 10-0. Paton should have had a first half hat trick They didn't even have a shot until the penalty in the 94th minute and even that was for a foul outside the box on a player heading away from goal!

But another good performance and home win again. Hopefully we've turned a corner but sometimes you just get teams you match up well against. Maybe Edinburgh are ours. We'll have a better idea after Alloa I guess. Iain Wilson and Josh Todd have absolutely run the show the last two games. When those two play as a pair it's hard to believe there's a better midfield pairing at this level. Keep them fit and we'll not be that far away, whatever formation we play around them.

He's not injured, just not currently getting picked. The only one injured is Morrison (and potentially now Paul McKay).

Agree about Saturday's game being a better game for us. I thought 1st half last night was like 2 teams in a training session, very pedestrian, but at least FC Edinburgh made it more difficult for us to dominate in that first period. If we were going to score it looked like a penalty would probably be the only way. As on Saturday Wullie coming on, and maybe change of shape, swung the game very much in our favour and the margin of win was deserved. 

Agree about Saturday's game being a better game for us. I thought 1st half last night was like 2 teams in a training session, very pedestrian, but at least FC Edinburgh made it more difficult for us to dominate in that first period. If we were going to score it looked like a penalty would probably be the only way. As on Saturday Wullie coming on, and maybe change of shape, swung the game very much in our favour and the margin of win was deserved. 

First half was very stagnant from us but as soon as Gibson came on that changed again with us going forward a bit more. Even before that though we were comfortable on the ball and passing it around well. We weren't in their faces as much as Saturday but then we never had the lead as early. After the goal last night we just kept possession rather than go for the jugular; which seemed to upset the numpties around me in the main stand but I've no idea why folk get so upset when on the rare occasions we have the lead that we keep possession rather than boot it forward. Edinburgh were offering nothing so why wouldn't we keep the ball? When Gibson came on he was literally telling the players to slow it down.

I genuinely can't recall Currie having anything to do other than his excellent save in the second half. Edinburgh had a couple of crosses but offered as much on Sat as they did last night. Second half was one way traffic with Edinburgh not even getting that short spell of possession like they did on Saturday.

I just think given WG would have been expecting Edinburgh to change things up/approach it differently last night that to get a 4-0 win after Saturday was very impressive and the manor in which they did it was pleasing. I hope it isn't just against FCE and we do kick on against Alloa.

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

First half was very stagnant from us but as soon as Gibson came on that changed again with us going forward a bit more. Even before that though we were comfortable on the ball and passing it around well. We weren't in their faces as much as Saturday but then we never had the lead as early. After the goal last night we just kept possession rather than go for the jugular; which seemed to upset the numpties around me in the main stand but I've no idea why folk get so upset when on the rare occasions we have the lead that we keep possession rather than boot it forward. Edinburgh were offering nothing so why wouldn't we keep the ball? When Gibson came on he was literally telling the players to slow it down.

I genuinely can't recall Currie having anything to do other than his excellent save in the second half. Edinburgh had a couple of crosses but offered as much on Sat as they did last night. Second half was one way traffic with Edinburgh not even getting that short spell of possession like they did on Saturday.

I just think given WG would have been expecting Edinburgh to change things up/approach it differently last night that to get a 4-0 win after Saturday was very impressive and the manor in which they did it was pleasing. I hope it isn't just against FCE and we do kick on against Alloa.

Ach! maybe I'm old fashioned or expect too much, but when we're a goal or two in front I kind of like to see us trying to add more, especially as the opposition offered so little resistance, rather than playing nice possession football with little end product. 

Thanks for the feedback. 👍

With it being a cup tie (and a diddy one at that) and being a goal up, Gibson maybe didn't want to go flat out for a big score and risk injuries for the league programme in the process. He ended up with a decent score regardless.

As folk have said, maybe FCE are just a team that suits us. Alloa will be a stiffer test for sure - I'm struggling to remember an easy game against Alloa.

FCE have 4 wins to our 2 in the league and a +3 goal difference to our -1 ... seems odd given their poor showings against Queens. Think this will be a very unpredictable league this season.

Two good wins though ... what's not to like?

Ach! maybe I'm old fashioned or expect too much, but when we're a goal or two in front I kind of like to see us trying to add more, especially as the opposition offered so little resistance, rather than playing nice possession football with little end product. 

If the opposition is half way decent I absolutely agree. But I think it was clear last night that FCE were as shite as they were on Saturday. When we had the ball we weren't under any pressure at all so I had no issue with the boys playing about with it retaining possession. I'll never understand these shouts of hoofing it forward tbh. If you have the ball you don't concede.