Jump to content

Morton vs Arbroath


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

What happened with Imrie?  He had an absolutely storming end to the season did he not?  I thought Morton had unearthed a managerial gem*?

 

*Not sarcasm, I really thought he had done well.

The squad this season just isn't as good as last season. We were in dire financial trouble until the Dalrada stadium sponsorship deal came in a few weeks ago and were forced to go in to the season with barely any of the key players from last season and lots of youth players who aren't really ready for this level yet. 

He's not above criticism though as he's getting in to the realms of having favourites in the squad regardless of performance that is starting to really damage our performances and results. I would also say we haven't really seen anything from him that he is a better manager than setting up a team of plucky hard working guys who get stuck in, but who knows if that's because that's all he has had to work with or if that is his limitations. I presume the answer to that might be found out at his next club rather than at Morton. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have a well-drilled and tactically organised team under Imrie. That involves a lot more than setting up plucky hard workers - the players are trained effectively to hold their shape off the ball and do that most of the time. 

One of the current issues is the complete lack of understanding among the front three. In fact, they look less aware of what each other is going to do than in our first home league game of the season. Another issue is that since deciding to carry that laughable 'luxury' player Muirhead towards the tail-end of last season and then adding that waster Kabia, we can no longer press effectively and win the ball in dangerous situations in the opposition half. Both of them need to go if we're actually going implement what Imrie has talked about but the penny hasn't dropped. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, port-ton said:

The squad this season just isn't as good as last season. We were in dire financial trouble until the Dalrada stadium sponsorship deal came in a few weeks ago and were forced to go in to the season with barely any of the key players from last season and lots of youth players who aren't really ready for this level yet. 

He's not above criticism though as he's getting in to the realms of having favourites in the squad regardless of performance that is starting to really damage our performances and results. I would also say we haven't really seen anything from him that he is a better manager than setting up a team of plucky hard working guys who get stuck in, but who knows if that's because that's all he has had to work with or if that is his limitations. I presume the answer to that might be found out at his next club rather than at Morton. 

Last season, it wasnt his squad and it looked like you were doomed, but he came in and revitalised that team.  I haven't really been following the Morton situation other than some Nicky Low chat, I didnt realise things were so serious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Last season, it wasnt his squad and it looked like you were doomed, but he came in and revitalised that team.  I haven't really been following the Morton situation other than some Nicky Low chat, I didnt realise things were so serious.

It really wasn't that 'serious', it's just the nature of trying to run a football club at break-even in the middle of an economic shitstorm. I don't think that GMFC are the only club that needs to tighten its belt. 

Giving full-time contracts to jobbers like Cameron Blues so that they can avoid getting a real job for another two years is not delivering anything worthwhile for the club though. It's long past time a switch to at least a hybrid structure of training and some semi-professional players is made. 

Edited by vikingTON
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, virginton said:

We have a well-drilled and tactically organised team under Imrie. That involves a lot more than setting up plucky hard workers - the players are trained effectively to hold their shape off the ball and do that most of the time. 

One of the current issues is the complete lack of understanding among the front three. In fact, they look less aware of what each other is going to do than in our first home league game of the season. Another issue is that since deciding to carry that laughable 'luxury' player Muirhead towards the tail-end of last season and then adding that waster Kabia, we can no longer press effectively and win the ball in dangerous situations in the opposition half. Both of them need to go if we're actually going implement what Imrie has talked about but the penny hasn't dropped. 

We had somewhat of a well drilled and tactically organised team defensively under Gus as well, which is no surprise considering its the same (much maligned) assistant manager who is the main man at training  just as he was under Gus. 

Imrie obviously has a thousand attributes that make him a better manager than Gus and why his teams would perform better (i.e the confidence he installed in the players and his wish for more of players to get in the opponents box when he joined etc) but in terms of how well drilled and tactically organised this Morton team are then that is mostly down to Andy Millen, which is probably the reason he's so highly thought of as a coach within Scottish football compared to our views of him thanks to our awful period under Gus. 

As I said maybe there's a brilliant tactical manager in there who loves his team to play lovely attacking football in a 4-3-3 formation but hasn't had the chance to implement it at Morton yet, but no one knows at this point what his limitations are as a manager. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Andy Millen is so highly thought of within Scottish football, then why was he working with a washed-up dotard like McPherson who was out of the game for years until he got a desperation call from us? And why haven't any of the 17 new managerial teams installed at Premiership/bigger budget Championship clubs swooped for this master organiser? 

He's certainly not here out of loyalty or the goodness of his heart. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

If Andy Millen is so highly thought of within Scottish football, then why was he working with a washed-up dotard like McPherson who was out of the game for years until he got a desperation call from us? And why haven't any of the 17 new managerial teams installed at Premiership/bigger budget Championship clubs swooped for this master organiser? 

He's certainly not here out of loyalty or the goodness of his heart. 

Weird thing to say about someone who's work you just praised so heavily in your previous post. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Where did you get the boy Oakley from?  Not sure about his defensive qualities as we didn't really test him, but going forward he was excellent.

His overlapping in the first half was superb and stood out. Maybe why Kabia was subbed as he wasn't tracking him back? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Where did you get the boy Oakley from?  Not sure about his defensive qualities as we didn't really test him, but going forward he was excellent.

His overlapping in the first half was superb and stood out. Maybe why Kabia was subbed as he wasn't tracking him back? 

Birmingham City

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like our defeat and especially the manner of it has ended Imrie's honeymoon period for sure!

We have been drawing games and even in our games we lost so far we have had decent performances, albeit not winning.

But Saturday we were tactically out thought, lost the physical battle in most areas of the park and had no imagination. 

Dougie reckons it was a "one off" and that remains to be seen. 

I know most teams are trying to bring in strikers, but we really have been crying out for forward players to the point of it costing us points in games we should have won or drawn at the very least.

To compound matters two of our forward players  - Kabia and Muirhead have started the season well off form. For me it's desperate stages and Dougie has so far been unable to address the situation. That's his biggest failing so far, so who knows how much these dropped points will determine where we finish at the end of the season 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Highlights make us look better than we actually were.

Sending off a joke.

Main thing that leaps out at me tho is how easily Kabia lets possession go just before the first goal. The boy doesn’t give a f**k and should be permanently benched and punted back to Livingston in January.

It’s rarely the case that players ‘aren’t trying’… but he just isn’t.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kabia is a waste of a Jersey. Desperate for him to come good but he becomes more unlikeable with each passing game. How many times is he going to over run the ball or lose possession and end up rolling about the floor pretending to be injured? Big Muirhead is another one. He should not be starting games. I was sticking up for blues a few weeks ago but this week he was anonymous. 

Imrie has some work to do here. He has the backing of the fans but that won't last forever if this form continues. Most other managers would have been hounded on Saturday and rightly so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, snapper55 said:

 

How’ve they not included the one we had off the line second half, was dying to see that back to see if it was handball or not. Also just because I couldn’t believe Dale Hilson managed to send a ball in that position goal wards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...