Dumbarton vs Bonnyrigg Rose

Home, away or draw?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Just clocked that we have highlights up… unless they are hugely biased it looks like we absolutely dominated that game yesterday. We could’ve and should’ve been at least 3 up by the time Bonnyrigg’s only chance of the game appeared in the 88th minute, albeit it was a glorious one and should’ve been taken. 

Again though, I wasn’t there and I’m purely basing that on the highlights but it looked like a really dominant performance in which poor finishing could’ve cost us. 

We were more highlight-worthy, if that makes any sense at all?

We weren’t great but we created 3 or 4 good chances and probably should’ve won the game by a couple of goals. Once we went 1-0 it was just a case of seeing the game out, always a risky game plan and I get the frustrations from a few fans but it’s got us 7 wins out of 7. I’m all for shitfesting our way back to L1.

Bonnyrigg had plenty of the ball but never really looked threatening enough to cut us open - until they made a few changes and threw the kitchen sink at us.

3 minutes ago, THE CHOSEN SON said:

We were more highlight-worthy, if that makes any sense at all?

We weren’t great but we created 3 or 4 good chances and probably should’ve won the game by a couple of goals. Once we went 1-0 it was just a case of seeing the game out, always a risky game plan and I get the frustrations from a few fans but it’s got us 7 wins out of 7. I’m all for shitfesting our way back to L1.

Bonnyrigg had plenty of the ball but never really looked threatening enough to cut us open - until they made a few changes and threw the kitchen sink at us.

I get what you are saying but if not being great is limiting the opposition to one chance whilst creating plenty at the other end then by god I’ll be delighthed with not being great the rest of the season!

Came out of the ground thinking it had been an even game but on reflection I don't think it was as close as the scoreline suggests. Bonnyrigg had a lot of the ball, especially in the first half when they pressed quite high, but didn't really trouble the defence. Was their only effort on target really that flaccid free kick straight at Brett Long in injury time? That's the only one I can remember.

Closest they came was that shot that flashed just past the post at the death, otherwise I thought they were let down by a lack of imagination against a solid, experienced defence and a chronic lack of pace (some amount of chubsters in that side, especially the Michael-Flatley-in-a-hall-of-mirrors wearing number 9). 

Wasn't Sons' best showing but they still did enough. Could/should even have had the game sewn up by half-time - Byrne's turn and shot was probably the best moment of individual quality in the game. Wilson never looked as though he believed he could score when one-on-one, by the time he pulled the trigger he was moving so slowly he could have been hit from behind by a glacier. Didn't have a great view of McNiff's chance from close range so don't know how close that was but that's three proper, clear-cut chances to be out of sight before the orange segments were handed round. 

In the second half Ally Love was probably stunned that ball across the area had reached him. 

FInlay Gray starting to get more and more, ah, agricultural treatment now the word's getting around about him but doesn't seem fazed by it. 

Not spectacular, not wildly pretty, but strengths are being played to and fortunately they're the kind of strengths that get you ten points clear in the middle of September. 

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'll probably be howled at for this, but from what I've seen so far there is a marked difference in quality between League One and League Two, and whilst we have been very good defensively we simply wouldn't have got away with surrendering so much space and possession in recent seasons.

The league table does not lie though and we've made a great start.  So much so that I'd like us to start being more assertive and playing an additional striker alongside Declan Byrne - the guy is performing a hard shift every game.  Garrity showed some flashes yesterday to suggest that he could maybe play up there.  Having McLean back is a bonus too.

I agree with that. We are playing in a league of lesser quality than last season and were we to be so workmanlike in L1 we'd concede more goals and wouldn't be on this run. But we aren't in league one, we're in league two and the standard here is such that we're the best team in the league. As the standard here is lower, we should manage expectations about the quality of football fayre on offer and enjoy being the big boy on the block.

1 minute ago, Thommo90 said:

Never felt threatened at all by bonnyrigg, how can you feel threatened by a team who starts capaldi and maguire up top.

Our defending is shit hot right now and long may it continue.  

Thought it was BoJo that was the big blonde forward.

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

I agree with that. We are playing in a league of lesser quality than last season and were we to be so workmanlike in L1 we'd concede more goals and wouldn't be on this run. But we aren't in league one, we're in league two and the standard here is such that we're the best team in the league. As the standard here is lower, we should manage expectations about the quality of football fayre on offer and enjoy being the big boy on the block.

I was going to say the same thing. League 2 is a lower level than league 1 so naturally the opponents lack the quality we saw last year. That being said you can only beat what's in front of you and we clearly have a game plan to soak up pressure. It's up to the opposition to figure out and provide enough quality to do that. 

Let's adjust ourselves right now to the fact that we're not the 08/09 free scoring title winning Dumbarton. And let's remember while we're at it, that the free scoring 08/09 division 3 champions Dumbarton never established a runaway lead in the league, never went 10 points clear at the top and although they had plenty high scoring games, defensively and consistency wise we were suspect that season, and left it to the last two games to wrap it up, playing chase for large parts of the season. 

Maybe, being ugly and efficient and effective and consistent isn't such a bad thing? 

5 hours ago, Thommo90 said:

Why are the rosey posey fans so weird?

Screenshot_20220919-002500_YouTube.jpg

I'd be beelin' if my club had double the budget of the side top of the league yet their key summer signings were a nearly retired striker and a boy who was pish at Stenny, whilst continuing to field a Lewis Capaldi lookalike up front. 

8 hours ago, Thommo90 said:

Why are the rosey posey fans so weird?

Screenshot_20220919-002500_YouTube.jpg

Half the team had beer bellies and the kit looked like it had been washed at the wrong temperature. They might not actually have arrived packed into two hatchbacks still arguing over who was supposed to pick up Dave at the petrol station but they didn't look far off.

A bit of banter is fine but there's a bit of disrespect towards Bonnyrigg creeping in here.  I recall speaking to a couple of their officials before the first Scottish Cup game and they seem to have got to where they are by hard work and solid organisation, as opposed to anyone throwing money at them.

In particular they have an excellent youth set-up and also a passionate support.  I expect them to be fully in the mix this season and we will disrespect them and anyone else at our peril.

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

A bit of banter is fine but there's a bit of disrespect towards Bonnyrigg creeping in here.  I recall speaking to a couple of their officials before the first Scottish Cup game and they seem to have got to where they are by hard work and solid organisation, as opposed to anyone throwing money at them.

In particular they have an excellent youth set-up and also a passionate support.  I expect them to be fully in the mix this season and we will disrespect them and anyone else at our peril.

f**k Bonnyrigg