Dumbarton vs Bonnyrigg Rose

Home, away or draw?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yet again we sat too deep and yet again the substitutions seemed to weaken us. Eventually someone will take advantage of our tactic of sitting back and allowing teams to come on to us. Still by the time that happens we could be so far ahead that it won’t matter too much

48 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Yet again we sat too deep and yet again the substitutions seemed to weaken us. Eventually someone will take advantage of our tactic of sitting back and allowing teams to come on to us. Still by the time that happens we could be so far ahead that it won’t matter too much

After sitting deep for 7 and winning 7, are we sitting too deep, or are we good at soaking up pressure and taking chances when they come? Evidence would suggest the latter.

Can we not just enjoy the fact we won, were 7 from 7 and miles clear at the top. Who cares what the ref did? Jesus man! 
OK, I get it that you're involved in refereeing, and rightly stick up for the officials. I rarely criticise the refs on here but there was just something about his performance today that really grated with me. Were you there today? Given your background I'd genuinely like to hear your opinion on some of the decisions and bookings:

* Bonnyrigg put it out for a throw in to allow treatment for a Dumbarton player. Dumbarton go to take the throw and he insists it's a Bonnyrigg throw in.

* David Wilson is clearly injured, he was hobbling about for a few minutes before being substituted. The referee books him for time wasting as he limps off the park.

* The Bonnyrigg full back throws his armband away in frustration. Booking.

P.S. You'll see that I posted soon after my initial post about the ref, delighted about the result.

5 minutes ago, mike rankine said:

OK, I get it that you're involved in refereeing, and rightly stick up for the officials. I rarely criticise the refs on here but there was just something about his performance today that really grated with me. Were you there today? Given your background I'd genuinely like to hear your opinion on some of the decisions and bookings:

* Bonnyrigg put it out for a throw in to allow treatment for a Dumbarton player. Dumbarton go to take the throw and he insists it's a Bonnyrigg throw in.

* David Wilson is clearly injured, he was hobbling about for a few minutes before being substituted. The referee books him for time wasting as he limps off the park.

P.S. You'll see that I posted soon after my initial post about the ref, delighted about the result.

Why let such trivial things bother u when we're riding the crest and winning. The ref could take a shit in my bovril for all I care if we keep winning!

No I wasn't there today, had a game myself. So can't make comment on the 1st point. 

2nd point, he may have already warned players about time wasting, and if he felt Wilson was taking the piss he's within his right to book him.

3rd point, Throwing anything in frustration can be deemed as Dissent so again he's within his right to book him.

Nothing particularly worth getting knickers in a twist over by the sounds of things.

11 minutes ago, mike rankine said:

Did he not indicate it was a foul throw? Either way...it was bizarre as we were clearly going to give the ball back to Bonnyrigg

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

Will they?? We've beaten 7/9 teams so far and none of them have taken advantage. That's a very negative view on things when we're winning week after week. Enjoy it, it won't last but why be so negative? If we win 1-0 with a goal rebounding of gemmels arse every game then we would take it. We're not going to play like Man city so we need to play to our strengths. We clearly are doing just that

Quick, [mention=6034]microdave[/mention] set up the next match thread
The Stranraer match thread is already there. I'm not starting one for the Forfar match in a fortnight just yet. That would be silly. I'll do it on Tuesday if we beat Stranraer.

49 minutes ago, microdave said:
2 hours ago, the snudge said:
Quick, [mention=6034]microdave[/mention] set up the next match thread

The Stranraer match thread is already there. I'm not starting one for the Forfar match in a fortnight just yet. That would be silly. I'll do it on Tuesday if we beat Stranraer.

Brave call. Should start another Stranraer one just to be safe. If u don't and we drop points, we'll......some would say we know who to blame 😜

1 hour ago, mike rankine said:

On your first point there, the ref pulled it back for a pretty blatant foul throw - though you could argue there’s not much point in pulling it back given the fact we were passing it back to the Rose keeper anyway.

The ref didn’t get an awful lot wrong today, he was just too present for my liking. I prefer when a referee lets the football take centre stage.

That was a weird game. We really should've been out of sight by the last 15 minutes; with Div Wilson and Ally Love both missing golden chances, but instead we camped in and squeakily saw the game out like a side playing for a first win in 17 matches or something. It was really nervy when it didn't have to be.

That's not to take anything away from Bonnyrigg though. I thought they were probably the best team I've seen us play so far, and are maybe a bit like ourselves. Their defensive shape was pretty good, they have an excellent goalkeeper when he's called upon and they liked a challenge. If they'd gone a goal up then I'm not sure how easily we'd have broken them down.

Their only issue looked to be in attack. I don't know if he's battling injury or something, but Kieran McGachie looked like a big pudding. Alongside him George Hunter did lots of work. But little of it was useful. They looked a different team with Kevin Smith, Kieran Hall and the really lively looking Zach Khan on towards the end.

As has been the way for clubs playing against us though, they saw plenty of the ball, lumped every man and their sink forward. And didn't force Brett Long into a serious save. Kieran Hall came very close to equalising, but was off target. And Hunter missed a half decent chance in the first-half. And that was about it in terms of the threat Bonnyrigg posed.

Defensively we were solid, with the back four all putting in decent 7/10 performances. I thought Finlay Gray got about the park well, intercepted well, but lacked a bit of composure on the ball, whilst big Kalvin Orsi caught my eye. I've been critical of him before, but he's looking like a fairly handy League Two player these days. His physicality causes teams problems.

Declan Byrne looks like a different player compared to where he was during the League Cup. You can see him getting fitter, sharper and more confident by the minute. I thought we lost our grip of the game when he was hooked, with Ryan Wallace really not suited to being a loan striker.

I also liked what I saw from Michael Garrity offensively. Defensively he was a wee bit slack at following his man in the disciplined way Orsi and Love do, but going forward he showed some cute touches and was keen to take players on. He really should've scored near the end too - but I'm excited to see more of him. It was good to see both Ross MacLean and Joe McKee back too. Div Wilson has his moments, but we're a far better side with McKee playing imo.

10 points clear is an incredible achievement. Seven wins from seven in an incredible achievement. Hopefully we can keep the good run going on Tuesday night and reward the absolute weirdos (*waves*) who are travelling down to Stair Park.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

Seeing quite a few comments on Facebook and the likes saying we were poor yesterday. I wasn’t at the game as I’m away but I kept an eye on the bet365 app (if only I could pay for a live stream) and it genuinely looked like we were battering them a bit up until about the 80th minute. By that point they’d only had 1 shot off target according to the stats. The Twitter commentary also seemed to suggest we’d missed a fair few good chances and in all honesty it sounded like we should’ve been about 3 up.

Were we really that poor or was it just a case of naturally sitting a bit too deep in the last ten whilst they pressed for an equaliser? I appreciate stats and following Twitter commentary is nothing like watching the game but I was surprised at seeing comments about how poor we were.

16 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Seeing quite a few comments on Facebook and the likes saying we were poor yesterday. I wasn’t at the game as I’m away but I kept an eye on the bet365 app (if only I could pay for a live stream) and it genuinely looked like we were battering them a bit up until about the 80th minute. By that point they’d only had 1 shot off target according to the stats. The Twitter commentary also seemed to suggest we’d missed a fair few good chances and in all honesty it sounded like we should’ve been about 3 up.

Were we really that poor or was it just a case of naturally sitting a bit too deep in the last ten whilst they pressed for an equaliser? I appreciate stats and following Twitter commentary is nothing like watching the game but I was surprised at seeing comments about how poor we were.

For the last 15 minutes or so Bonnyrigg chucked everything they had at us, and we were struggling to get out. So that probably skewed a few people's views of the game.

When I was speaking to Robbie Horn at the end I said he must've been frustrated not to take something from the game, and he said he was more frustrated that they had plenty of possession but didn't force Brett Long into making a save. Which made me feel like my nerves had made the last 15 minutes far worse from our point-of-view than they were in reality.

I would've said it was similar to the East Fife game. We should've been out of sight, but we weren't, so Bonnyrigg chucked everything they had forward in search on an equaliser - which made for a tense end to the game.

As good as we are defensively, we really need to start being more clinical at the other end. We can't be passing up golden chances every week without it eventually coming back to bite us. It's pretty much the only criticism I can have from yesterday though.

24 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'll probably be howled at for this, but from what I've seen so far there is a marked difference in quality between League One and League Two, and whilst we have been very good defensively we simply wouldn't have got away with surrendering so much space and possession in recent seasons.

The league table does not lie though and we've made a great start.  So much so that I'd like us to start being more assertive and playing an additional striker alongside Declan Byrne - the guy is performing a hard shift every game.  Garrity showed some flashes yesterday to suggest that he could maybe play up there.  Having McLean back is a bonus too.

37 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

For the last 15 minutes or so Bonnyrigg chucked everything they had at us, and we were struggling to get out. So that probably skewed a few people's views of the game.

When I was speaking to Robbie Horn at the end I said he must've been frustrated not to take something from the game, and he said he was more frustrated that they had plenty of possession but didn't force Brett Long into making a save. Which made me feel like my nerves had made the last 15 minutes far worse from our point-of-view than they were in reality.

I would've said it was similar to the East Fife game. We should've been out of sight, but we weren't, so Bonnyrigg chucked everything they had forward in search on an equaliser - which made for a tense end to the game.

As good as we are defensively, we really need to start being more clinical at the other end. We can't be passing up golden chances every week without it eventually coming back to bite us. It's pretty much the only criticism I can have from yesterday though.

15 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'll probably be howled at for this, but from what I've seen so far there is a marked difference in quality between League One and League Two, and whilst we have been very good defensively we simply wouldn't have got away with surrendering so much space and possession in recent seasons.

The league table does not lie though and we've made a great start.  So much so that I'd like us to start being more assertive and playing an additional striker alongside Declan Byrne - the guy is performing a hard shift every game.  Garrity showed some flashes yesterday to suggest that he could maybe play up there.  Having McLean back is a bonus too.

Just clocked that we have highlights up… unless they are hugely biased it looks like we absolutely dominated that game yesterday. We could’ve and should’ve been at least 3 up by the time Bonnyrigg’s only chance of the game appeared in the 88th minute, albeit it was a glorious one and should’ve been taken. 

Again though, I wasn’t there and I’m purely basing that on the highlights but it looked like a really dominant performance in which poor finishing could’ve cost us. 

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Just clocked that we have highlights up… unless they are hugely biased it looks like we absolutely dominated that game yesterday. We could’ve and should’ve been at least 3 up by the time Bonnyrigg’s only chance of the game appeared in the 88th minute, albeit it was a glorious one and should’ve been taken. 

Again though, I wasn’t there and I’m purely basing that on the highlights but it looked like a really dominant performance in which poor finishing could’ve cost us. 

We were the better team without being fully dominant.  But as you say we did create chances, especially either side of half-time which really should have been taken.  And that would have avoided defending a potentially fragile 1-0 lead for the last fifteen minutes.

We are a team team that is naturally sitting deep - I had no issues with that. I think the game changed when Bryne was taken off. He was chasing everything into the channels and stopped Bonnyrigg sustaining pressure. When Wallace came on he wanted everything to feet and made no effort to run into channels meaning we kept giving the ball straight back again. I think what we’ve learned is Wallace definitely can’t play up front on his own - he may be best in the midfield 3 or I think he’d work well if we play 4-4-2 but there is no reason to change formations. Basically Wallace has his own qualities and can come across as lazy but genuinely I just think he lacks mobility.

If we’re going to play a low-block 4-3-3 then Orsi, McLean, Love will all be better options up front when we choose to replace Bryne (who has to do so much running it’s likely he won’t last 90 in most games).