RAITH ROVERS VS AYR UNITED

7 hours ago, grumswall said:
7 hours ago, pub car king said:
Looked some match on the highlights really well worked goals and Connell did well with the first and the third. 
The pitch looks like it needs a good brush or a respray or something. 

Will the pitch not be due to have the top layer replaced in the next couple of years?

That top layer should be good for 10 years with proper maintenance, and 5-7 being “ignored”. The worst thing I’ve seen was the snow and ice left on the pitch for a few days, as that can cause some issues. So this is year four, so it should be less than halfway “used up”.

On 17/09/2022 at 14:20, Hank Scorpio said:

I was pretty vocal beforehand in saying that I thought if Gullan was missing and Connell started we would struggle. Therefore, I am fronting up and admitting I was categorically wrong. Connell did really well and occupied the Ayr centre halves. Took his goal well, too. Fair play 👏🏻 

Agree. In fact, I’d like to see Connoll remain at CF and perhaps try Gullan at LW/AM in a Ross/Zanatta style role. It would allow Gullan some more space to drive in and hammer it, while using Connoll to draw attention and poach.

I have to be honest and admit I didn't see that win coming before 3pm, our general frailty at the back aligned with a blunt edge up front had me fairly certain this would be at best a draw and more likely an Ayr win. Perhaps Ayr came thinking the same but kudos to Murray & Co for making a mockery of that!

No real failures in navy blue but some real stand outs.  I think the big difference from previous weeks was the level of commitment and intensity all the Rovers players showed this week, very heartening to see to say the least.

Ayr upped the ante at half time bringing on more physical attacking players and they did their best to upset Nolan and O'Riordan (as I'm sure was their remit from Bullen) but the kids did well and I'm certain they won't have many tougher afternoons in the league. 

Great turn and strike from Connell which will give him confidence. Also a brilliant strike from Brown who really put the laces through it 2nd time round. Got to be a special mention for Sam Stanton though who deservedly got MotM for a brilliant all-round performance topped off by a great goal, if anyone typified the commitment and intensity it was that fella.

I wasn't at Partick (who I still think will win the league) so Ayr are the best side I've seen that we've faced this season. It's a poorer quality league than the last 2 seasons and we are not as strong a team as we were in those seasons but if we pick up a player or two before Christmas and maybe bring in another in January we can be well in the mix for a top 4 finish.

Even having Gullan, Vaughan, Lang and Matthews eventually available will give us much more depth and options from the bench, if we can stay within 6 points of the top then who knows. Conversely all or most of these players may breakdown again and we could also lose O'Riordan and end up right in the shite but that's fitba.

15 hours ago, grumswall said:

I thought we'd had it longer than that tex. Must just be used to it. It doesn't play badly at all andhas actually had less use than expected due to covid etc so hopefully lasts for many a year at a good quality.

Carpet went down July 2018. Originally it was expected that it would need replaced between 4 and 7 years (dependant on use and abuse) and that the community use would pay for upgrades.

7 hours ago, Scottydog said:

Carpet went down July 2018. Originally it was expected that it would need replaced between 4 and 7 years (dependant on use and abuse) and that the community use would pay for upgrades.

That was, I believe, before we spunked some dosh on upgrading the underlayment. That was supposed to add a year or three to lifespan and cheapen replacement.

Community use was a wee bit below expectations the last few years, BTW.

10 hours ago, TxRover said:

That was, I believe, before we spunked some dosh on upgrading the underlayment. That was supposed to add a year or three to lifespan and cheapen replacement.

Community use was a wee bit below expectations the last few years, BTW.

I guess you also factor in that we train on it and the ladies team played on it until recently as well. 

Community use is a blessing and a curse. Necessary or the economics of the pitch tank, but also expedites replacement of the surface. Less of it than expected isn't always a bad thing as it might mean we get another year out if it; equally, it's bad for our already stressed finances. 

The pitch is starting to show its age a bit - you can tell as it's starting to appear a bit shiny in places. I do think we have a couple of years yet until I think we need to replace it. Not that teams always replace their plastic pitches when they are clearly worn out, right enough...

Well, that victory was kind of unexpected.  2-0 up and cruising at half time.  Then the team as usual sneakily swap shirts with a local pished pub team and lose the lead.  Inevitable.  Looked dead and the only team likely to score again were Ayr.
Thankfully, Broon got a second bite at the cherry and scored that absolute rocket.  
Still papering over cracks though.  What the hell do the Rovers players do in the dressing room at half time?  
Hopefully the big viking coming in will increase our scoring chances.

Incidentally, Musonda was shite and carryig a lot of excess weight.  Looks like we were right to let him go.

Tbf that was Musonda's worst game since he joined us. He just seemed off it the whole game. Maybe it was the psychological trauma of returning to Starks after making his escape in the summer. That would be hard for anyone to deal with.

Paddy Reading had a bit of a mare as well, but at least partially redeemed himself with the cross leading to our 2nd goal. McGinty did what McGinty does best. Made a total cock up of dealing with a player trapped at the corner flag facing away from goal. Nice bit of skill by Connell. but I'm a pensioner and I reckon I  could have dealt with that scenario better. Then Houston waves a leg at him on the way along the line, and the rest of the defence look as if they're posing for a picture as Brown gets the rebound off his own shot. Really good finish mind you.

Disappointing. Thought we had it in the bag after getting back to 2-2. Just like we did against QP a few weeks ago. Would have been a steal right enough. Thought we maybe deserved a point at most.  Lee Bullen disagreed and reckoned Raith were worthy winners. 

I don't think this game was in any way a (or nearly a) halftime collapse by Rovers. It was a case of an opposing  manager making  some big changes and Raith battling and eventually adapting to it. I have a recollection of Raith v Brechin game back in 2008 where we went in 2-0 up at halftime. Michael O'Neil made changes at the break and by full-time we were hanging on grimly for a draw. Recent Rovers managers haven't had it in their lockers to do that plan B kind of thing, Murray may have that ability but was (is) hamstrung with a lack of options he had available on the bench, Ayr had nine subs available last week to our seven and of them only Thomson and Spencer were over the age of 20.

Brown said after the game Murray had warned of an Ayr backlash and told to brace themselves for Ayr coming out all guns blazing. Lee Bullen clearly identified the potential weakness of our inexperienced centre back partnership and made 3 changes at halftime. He crucially introduced Young up front to add even more physicality to the  forward line. It was a good idea and it very nearly paid off. If anything though it also gave Rovers a bit more room to operate in midfield and that helped us get more possession.