RAITH ROVERS VS AYR UNITED

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Positives are that we still look like we can always score goals and never looked beaten even when 2-0 down. Brad Young getting his first goal is a real bonus as well. Also Thistle only getting a point means we’re still joint top.

Negatives are the fact we conceded three goals to a top who are known to be absolutely powderpuff up front. I take Bullen’s point that we need to be able to rotate and perhaps Houston and Kirk were carrying knocks but I don’t think you can overstate the effect a settled defence has at this level. I’m not entirely convinced what our best defensive combination is as we have only kept one clean sheet this season. Something for Bullen to mull over for future games.

As most people have said this is our first real test. If we can go and beat Caley next week then it’ll show a real resilience to bounce back but if we lose then the pressure will be on to show that our good start wasn’t a flash in the pan.

Never looked beaten? Except when you were beaten? Righto.

16 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

You must be so happy with the strength of our squad. Yes we got a win, brilliant. But there are still many things wrong. I'm glad I was proved wrong.

Far from it, but that's not the point I was making. I just found it interesting that there wasn't a peep from you on the thread while the game was going well; I can only imagine your glee when Ayr started to come back into it, so you could get your snide wee comments in.

Easily the most negative Raith Rovers poster on here. And that's saying something.

Glad I ended up going, good open game and we started well and scored2 good goals, connell showed some class to score. Second half we dipped, Ayr played well enough boy up top looks a good find but we showed a bit of character and got a big win, team looked much better than the last game I was at ( dundee) hopefully we can build on this.

2 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Don't get all revisionist and pedantic on me. You certainly look beaten to me.

They were saying that Ayr never looked like they were out of it when 2-0 down and that proved to be the case. 

Anyway, great win. Be nice to get this touted striker in and build some momentum on the back of this. 

Absolutely delighted with that. Thought we had thrown away another match when Ayr equalised and expected them to go on and win so it was great to see us dig deep and battle for the win when it would've been easy to fold. 

I really hope that this can be a turning point for us this season. 

I've given Connell a hard time on here since he signed but I thought today he actually looked like a player that could do us a real turn this season. Well taken goal, great play for the 3rd and hard working all round. Crazy decision to throw the ball away though which he was very lucky to get away with. 

Let's hope he can keep that up and it wasn't just a Killie boy getting fired up for a match with Ayr... 

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

You must be so happy with the strength of our squad. Yes we got a win, brilliant. But there are still many things wrong. I'm glad I was proved wrong.

You must be absolutely raging that a player you have critised and chastised at every single opportunity has such an impact today.

Plenty to work on, but the effort was fantastic today.  That's the most pressing aspect.

2 hours ago, Shibuya said:

We look like an absolute gang at the back today. Meanwhile our shiny centre half from Arsenal is sitting clicking his heels on the bench. 

Aye he'd have sorted it :lol:

1 hour ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

They were saying that Ayr never looked like they were out of it when 2-0 down and that proved to be the case. 

Anyway, great win. Be nice to get this touted striker in and build some momentum on the back of this. 

I know what he was saying. I simply disagreed.

At 2-0 we were playing very well indeed, and Ayr had their work cut out just to stay in touch.

Being the Rovers though, nothing is certain, and sure enough, 2 wasn't enough.

Over the piece, a good, close game, but I think we were worthy winners. 

In the absence of Bet365's markets, I'd have given you very long odds on the Rovers being the next team to score once it went to 2-2. A really well dug out result, and one that didn't look particularly likely at times, probably best summed up by Jamie MacDonald's huge "Thank f**k!" at full-time. 

As I said before the game, this Rovers team doesn't lack quality. There's bags of it in the midfield. But we've got two main weaknesses; a lack of a proper number 9 up front, and a fragility that runs (to varying degrees) across the back four. Today, Kyle Connell did by far the best impression of a leading striker that we've seen this season, but even at that he was basically uninvolved between our second and third goals. And the defenders individually all did good things at various points, but as a unit they're just not a great Championship defence (that, of course, being something we aspire to have rather than something we have a right to expect), and you can see that in the goals we conceded, scrapping around in our own six yard box. They'll continue to improve as they get used to one another, but I'm not sure any of the other three are ever going to reach O'Riordan's level. 

I was quite disappointed with Ayr. Maybe that's a bit churlish when they were unlucky to not get at least a point, but it felt a bit like Akinyemi's teammates were waiting for him to do it all himself. And to be fair, at times it looked like he might. I feel a bit like a broken record here, because I feel like I've said it whenever I've seen a remotely competent striker this season, but put Akinyemi in this Rovers side and he'd do some amount of damage. 

Overall, really pleased that the Rovers managed to get the win today. Their application has never been in doubt, and their hard work deserves proper rewards. Until we bring in a proper striker, we'll continue to score fewer goals than our midfield play deserves, but Kyle Connell has given some room for optimism that we might not be completely abject until Big John's work permit arrives. 

That's a weird one today.  Thought McCalister coming in was a weird one along with Ashford keeping his place in the team.  

First half was actually quite good from us despite the score, without the ball we were just standing off Raith but with it we were threatening, wouldn't have complained overly going in 1 down but the second goal is a total joke from that wee shitebag Reading.  Just hit it and concede a goal kick man, you might even get hit and get a free kick.  

Second half the changes really helped (I'd have left Daire on for McKenzie though) and there was more purpose to our play (during the 6 minutes the referee was actually allowing the game to take place, well deserved to get level but that seemed to be a kick up the arse to Raith tbf and they get the winner after McGinty just melts. Points thrown away but some of it was quite enjoyable.  

I think we need to look at more changes for the next game rather than just simply reverting to what was working before.  Be looking at McAdams, Mullen, Houston and Young starting.