Football and the various royal events

It's amazing to me that some people can't seem to understand that respecting the monarchy and striving for Independence are two separate things. Any successful independence referendum would involve remaining in the Commonwealth for some period of time like Canada and Australia, we can't take everything at once from the Britain-loving yoons. Tl;dr, it's a two-step process, and honouring the monarch is definitely not an egregious backstep from the Scottish government.

7 hours ago, houston_bud said:

It's hardly a profound protest. It looks like a childish strop. Booing is what fans do when a pantomine villain dives to win a penalty or they don't think their team are putting in enough effort. 

What is it achieving? Other than bad press for the clubs involved?

What point are people trying to make by booing? That they didn't like the Queen herself? That they don't like the institution of monarchy? Something else?  

7 hours ago, Durnford said:

Booing is childish; I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise. Its hardly the height or witty repartee. Its also extremely offensive to those others, including players, that want to register their respect.

If people want to register some sort of discontent then surely back-turning is the least disruptive for those other supporters who actually want to observe the silence.

I'll observe any silence out of respect to my fellow supporters and to the woman, not as a monarch particularly as I've been a republican for four decades and wont change now, but for the service she gave.

GSTK (or GSTQ as was) is particularly contentious in Scotland mostly just because the English football team use it as their anthem. If they were to stick to "Jerusalem" or "land of hope and glory" or even "tie a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree"; I don't think there'd be half the problem. Most people dont know more than the first verse anyway.

Seems standard behaviour in this place too. 

I'm pleased United have a trip to Ibrox on Saturday, rather than the reverse fixture at Tannadice. It would have been a difficult set of circumstances for United's board to navigate, as if they had put on a silence, although it would possibly been observed well, some would have been disruptive, while I'm certain the unauthorised 'national anthem' would certainly not been welcomed by a very large section of the home support present.

Ibrox makes it easy: it'll be a full on tear stained swivelling eyed treat for right wing fascists.

9 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I'm pleased United have a trip to Ibrox on Saturday, rather than the reverse fixture at Tannadice. It would have been a difficult set of circumstances for United's board to navigate, as if they had put on a silence, although it would possibly been observed well, some would have been disruptive, while I'm certain the unauthorised 'national anthem' would certainly not been welcomed by a very large section of the home support present.

Ibrox makes it easy: it'll be a full on tear stained swivelling eyed treat for right wing fascists.

Wouldn't be so sure about this. Clubs now seem to think they have to do their own thing regarding the poppy bullshit, so even if they're away on the 'remembrance' weekend they will do their own nonsense display and silence etc the week before or after.

Dundee United might therefore do their own 'tribute' to the dead old c**t, as may all other clubs who aren't at home this weekend.

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Wouldn't be so sure about this. Clubs now seem to think they have to do their own thing regarding the poppy bullshit, so even if they're away on the 'remembrance' weekend they will do their own nonsense display and silence etc the week before or after.

Dundee United might therefore do their own 'tribute' to the dead old c**t, as may all other clubs who aren't at home this weekend.

I agree, but with the international break coming that might mean some teams doing something 3 or 4 weeks after her death. Not that it'll put them off, of course.

Only 45% of Scots support the monarchy  (   https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/may/15/scottish-support-for-monarchy-falls-to-45-poll-reveals  ) so the SFA and SPFL are suggesting to clubs to ask fans to sing a song that is irrelevant to the majority. That is only asking for trouble.

Celtic, from the UK are playing Shakhtar from Ukraine in Poland. There will be a massive fuss about commemorating a rich elderly lady who died peacefully after a long and full life. 

Meanwhile 

NEWS OFFICE OF THE HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR HUMAN RIGHTS

Ukraine: civilian casualty update 12 September 2022

12 September 2022

Related

Date: 12 September 20221

From 24 February 2022, when the Russian Federation’s armed attack against Ukraine started, to 11 September 2022, the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) recorded 14,248 civilian casualties in the country: 5,827 killed and 8,421 injured. This included:

• a total of 5,827 killed (2,270 men, 1,559 women, 153 girls, and 187 boys, as well as 35 children and 1,623 adults whose sex is yet unknown)
  • a total of 8,421 injured (1,770 men, 1,289 women, 182 girls, and 250 boys, as well as 215 children and 4,715 adults whose sex is yet unknown)
    • In Donetsk and Luhansk regions: 8,034 casualties (3,472 killed and 4,562 injured)
      • On Government-controlled territory: 6,398 casualties (3,124 killed and 3,274 injured)
      • On territory controlled by Russian armed forces and affiliated armed groups: 1,636 casualties (348 killed and 1,288 injured)
    • In other regions of Ukraine (the city of Kyiv, and Cherkasy, Chernihiv, Ivano-Frankivsk, Kharkiv, Kherson, Kirovohrad, Kyiv, Mykolaiv, Odesa, Sumy, Zaporizhzhia, Dnipropetrovsk, Khmelnytskyi, Poltava, Rivne, Ternopil, Vinnytsia, Volyn, and Zhytomyr regions), which were under Government control when casualties occurred: 6,214 casualties (2,355 killed and 3,859 injured)

Most of the civilian casualties recorded were caused by the use of explosive weapons with wide area effects, including shelling from heavy artillery, multiple launch rocket systems, missiles and air strikes.
OHCHR believes that the actual figures are considerably higher, as the receipt of information from some locations where intense hostilities have been going on has been delayed and many reports are still pending corroboration. This concerns, for example, Mariupol (Donetsk region), Izium (Kharkiv region), Lysychansk, Popasna, and Sievierodonetsk (Luhansk region), where there are allegations of numerous civilian casualties.

"We live in a society where people can express their own values in any way they want" - His Angeballness - 2022.  What no rules, no laws, no boundaries !  So if my values include driving down the M74 at 120 mph and applying a hatchet to every kitten I come across that's ok ? Stick to football Mr Postegoclu, and leave thoughts on the governance of a free society to those not engaged in such important work as you are.  

"We live in a society where people can express their own values in any way they want" - His Angeballness - 2022.  What no rules, no laws, no boundaries !  So if my values include driving down the M74 at 120 mph and applying a hatchet to every kitten I come across that's ok ? Stick to football Mr Postegoclu, and leave thoughts on the governance of a free society to those not engaged in such important work as you are.  
That's against the law which is totally different to personal values.

46 minutes ago, NorthBank said:
1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

That's against the law which is totally different to personal values.

You can't have personal values which are against the law ? Thanks for the heads up.

No. What Postecoglu is saying, is that him being Celtic manager doesn't make him responsible for individuals behaviour or actions. They have their own free will, he doesn't control them. 

Edited by Old Fashioned Stramash

Don't be silly.

58 minutes ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

No. What Postecoglu is saying, is that him being Celtic manager doesn't make him responsible for individuals behaviour or actions. They have their own free will, he doesn't control them. 

It isn't that he doesn't control them.  He takes no responsibility for them which you can completely understand given their normal moronic behaviour.