Football and the various royal events

8 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Maybe a point already made, but can I just say how very much I am enjoying Celtic fans sharing videos of the 2005 Pope BOOOOO at Hampden and

1) Claiming this was not widely reported in the media at the time 😀

2) Using it as an example of free-speech and saying 'I've got no problem with Hearts fans booing', as if this was the stated opinion of ANY Celtic fans at the time whatsoever.

Fucking marvelous stuff.

I wasn’t on PnB then, but I had no problems with Hearts fans booing that. 

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Technically, the monarchy isn’t politics but I agree that it’s being forced on people and that’s not right. 

They're so non political they've managed to influence hundreds of UK laws to make themselves exempt including Money Laundering, Data Protection and Equality related laws. 

Impressive. 

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Technically, the monarchy isn’t politics but I agree that it’s being forced on people and that’s not right. 

Actually TheScarf is correct here. The monarchy are part of the constitution of government; they are not allowed (theoretically) to be part of party politics (politically neutral) although, i believe, the monarch's partner/consort are not obliged to comply with that other than by tradition. Even the monarch's speech at the annual opening of parliament are written by the ruling party.

As far as I am aware the last time royal assent was not granted was at the time of Queen Anne - something to do with raising a Scottish Militia to defend the country against the French.

5 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Actually TheScarf is correct here. The monarchy are part of the constitution of government; they are not allowed (theoretically) to be part of party politics (politically neutral) although, i believe, the monarch's partner/consort are not obliged to comply with that other than by tradition. Even the monarch's speech at the annual opening of parliament are written by the ruling party.

As far as I am aware the last time royal assent was not granted was at the time of Queen Anne - something to do with raising a Scottish Militia to defend the country against the French.

So, the constitution is not under the umbrella of 'politics' then?

That'll be news to a few academics, journalists, politicians around the world.

Not involved in party politics, fair enough. But politics involves a lot more than party politics, and a monarchy is 100% inextricably political.

5 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

So, the constitution is not under the umbrella of 'politics' then?

That'll be news to a few academics, journalists, politicians around the world.

Not involved in party politics, fair enough. But politics involves a lot more than party politics, and a monarchy is 100% inextricably political.

Precisely. To claim the monarchy is apolitical based on some constitutional technicalities is clearly wrong. 

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Precisely. To claim the monarchy is apolitical based on some constitutional technicalities is clearly wrong. 

More to the point, for the last 300 years or so, the monarch has only acted as directed by the Prime Minister of the time. That being the case is there any point to a constitutional monarchy in the modern age other than holding the commonwealth together and that argument is getting more and more watered down with each country declaring itself a republic.

1 minute ago, williemillersmoustache said:

I hope that those who don't want to take part will be mindful of the occasion and be respectful enough to let those who do want to Boo do so without condemnation ridicule or reproach. 

It’s fine the biggest whingers don’t support or  watch Scotland  play these days.

It’s also worth noting the national mourning is over…