Football and the various royal events

32 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I don't know what's worse. The fact that they're going on tv to defend to monarchy or the fact that Scottish electorate are so pro monarchy even the SNP see supporting the monarchy as a vote winner. 

It's not a vote winner really - it's about not alienating folk that might otherwise vote for independence - the cliched "don't scare the horses" strategy. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm no fan of crowns in general or the Kings, Queens and Popes that wear them and I was as pissed as the next person about the wall to wall grief monkeys in the media last month

But it does seem a bit petty to complain about the continued existence of an outdated constitutional relic when playing against a team from Donetsk in 2022

It's like saying "shut up about your broken leg already, let's talk about my stubbed toe"

5 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

But it does seem a bit petty to complain about the continued existence of an outdated constitutional relic when playing against a team from Donetsk in 2022

It's like saying "shut up about your broken leg already, let's talk about my stubbed toe

It’s really not though is it? 

The monarch died, fans protested at the first game after her death (while other people had been getting arrested in the UK for if) 

In struggling to see how you can see that as a “sit doon and shut up” towards Ukraine 

Was that also the message from Scotland fans when they booed the applause for the Crown against Ukraine?

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I'm no fan of crowns in general or the Kings, Queens and Popes that wear them and I was as pissed as the next person about the wall to wall grief monkeys in the media last month

It's like saying "shut up about your broken leg already, let's talk about my stubbed toe"

I’m not sure I agree. This would probably be more relevant if they were doing their bread and butter banners about the British army and Ireland whilst Ukraine are in the midst of genuine war for freedom. 

I think in the immediate aftermath of her death, this was fairer game. 

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

It’s really not though is it? 

The monarch died, fans protested at the first game after her death (while other people had been getting arrested in the UK for if) 

In struggling to see how you can see that as a “sit doon and shut up” towards Ukraine 

Was that also the message from Scotland fans when they booed the applause for the Crown against Ukraine?

The metaphor is a bit of a stretch but if we're being pernickety there's a difference between the situation when you're being directly asked to show your level of respect and do so by booing and  getting a banner printed and lugging it across Europe

Incidentally Hearts supporters have now booed tributes to Queen Elizabeth, Pope John Paul II and Princess Diana

The 14th Dalai Lama is now 87 

41 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Plenty of warning this time. All matches to be scheduled for the Friday night or the Sunday. 

8 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Who the f**k schedules anything for final day of the season?

9 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Plenty of warning this time. All matches to be scheduled for the Friday night or the Sunday. 

Why do they need to move anything? 

I thought it was all as a mark of respect because she'd died? 

No one has died this time. It would suggest that wasn't the reason at all and simply a way of prioritising the Royal events over everything else. Regardless of what the people want.