Football and the various royal events

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Aye, I've similar thoughts. At Ibrox on Saturday I felt it was a bit disrespectful to disrupt the silence with the chants that were made, but only due to the human element of someone having passed. After that, protesting against the monarchy and disrupting GSTK I've no issues with at all really.

People aren’t going to a game of football in Scotland to pay respects to the queen though and are having this forced upon them without anyone asking them. This is coming after over a week of national mourning when the previous weekends football was cancelled out of respect to the queen, rangers also had their very respectful tribute to her during their CL game. How much respects can possibly be paid here?

That Bill leckie comment when he asks how the Celtic, DUTD and Hibs supporters would feel if they lost a loved one and people were twining then “through their letterbox” is completely fucking absurd as well to the point I think he is trolling. These guys aren’t going out of their way to disrespect the queen, it’s been rammed down their throat and they don’t want to be part of it. 

Its all a massive dick waving exercise anyway, the only people who care about it  are rangers fans and right wing commentators down in England who all of a sudden seem to care about Scottish football.

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

People aren’t going to a game of football in Scotland to pay respects to the queen though and are having this forced upon them without anyone asking them. This is coming after over a week of national mourning when the previous weekends football was cancelled out of respect to the queen, rangers also had their very respectful tribute to her during their CL game. How much respects can possibly be paid here?

That Bill leckie comment when he asks how the Celtic, DUTD and Hibs supporters would feel if they lost a loved one and people were twining then “through their letterbox” is completely fucking absurd as well to the point I think he is trolling. These guys aren’t going out of their way to disrespect the queen, it’s been rammed down their throat and they don’t want to be part of it. 

Its all a massive dick waving exercise anyway, the only people who care about it  are rangers fans and right wing commentators down in England who all of a sudden seem to care about Scottish football.

I don't really disagree with a lot of that. I think people are well entitled to feel enough is enough and not take part in any further tributes or displays especially after a weekend of football was cancelled.

I do slightly disagree that people weren't going out their way to disrespect the queen, though. Chanting "Lizzie's in a box" during a silence to mark her passing is literally celebrating her death. Again, I don't personally feel offended by it, but I don't think anyone could argue it wasn't disrespectful. Again though, I've no real issues with people voicing their displeasure or dissent against the Monarchy or the rendition of GSTK.

11 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I’m one of these guys who wouldn’t applaud for the Queen, but I wouldn’t disrupt any applause / silence in any way. For respect to her as an individual human being

I get people making this point. I understand where it comes from.

But the obvious next question then is where do you draw the line? Should there have been silences in Germany for Hitler's death? What if we were asked to respect Stalin's death? More modernly Saddam or Bin Laden?

Obviously, extreme and silly examples, but the point is that from Hitler we move on a sliding scale to Dolly Parton, but everyone draws the line in different places as to where 'a human has died' is replaced by 'but they were a monster / but they represented something deeply damaging'.

The only real solution is that only football people are commemorated at the football. Everything else is introducing subjectivity and asking all of us to adhere to the moral judgements of the spineless arseholes who run football.

I was at two matches last weekend and I just stood there doing nothing both times. But fair play to anyone who felt moved to make a protest.

Fans are just collateral in an age where every possible entity or individual with a public persona feels the need to do ‘something’ to mark the occasion. Not out of genuine mourning but out of fear of being that entity that doesn’t do it, that gets hounded for it. 

I have little doubt the SFA will have been spooked by the fact England are doing something so will have felt compelled to follow suit, again for fear of being hammered for not doing it.

They know people don’t want it though. Why else would they make it a minutes applause? I’m reality, they shouldn’t give a flying f**k what gb news, Jeremy Kyle or lizzieloyal1690 🇬🇧 on twitter thinks, or at the very least they should come below the priority of your paying customers. But this is the ludicrous world we live in. 

26 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Fans are just collateral in an age where every possible entity or individual with a public persona feels the need to do ‘something’ to mark the occasion. Not out of genuine mourning but out of fear of being that entity that doesn’t do it, that gets hounded for it. 

I have little doubt the SFA will have been spooked by the fact England are doing something so will have felt compelled to follow suit, again for fear of being hammered for not doing it.

They know people don’t want it though. Why else would they make it a minutes applause? I’m reality, they shouldn’t give a flying f**k what gb news, Jeremy Kyle or lizzieloyal1690 🇬🇧 on twitter thinks, or at the very least they should come below the priority of your paying customers. But this is the ludicrous world we live in. 

Doing things like this at a Scotland game just completely misses the point of what these memorial things are meant to be about. It's meant to be a shared expression of something important to the people remembering in that context. Otherwise, why not just do it at the supermarket?

For example, when there's a silence or applause at Hearts for a former player who has passed away, it is always a nice, touching thing. For better or worse, Hearts is its own wee community with our shared memories and shared connection through this club. We feel a connection to a level and it's nice as a group to be remembering one of our own who has relevance in that situation. I can imagine it's also quite moving and gratifying for the family of the deceased to see your loved one remembered in such a way by people to whom they actually meant something.

For all that some people poke fun at it, I feel the same about the Hearts First World War stuff. We can argue about how it's done or what the tone should be etc, but I think it's a very touching thing that the club does. Aside from the politics of war and empire etc, it is fundamentally about a bunch of guys that played for our team and went away and died. There's a meaning to that for anyone connected to the club and it's part of that shared history.

Shoe-horning in silences for politicians, religious figures, monarchs, and even, I'd argue, events like terrorist attacks  that are not immediately connected to that area and community, take away from the whole point of a silence or applause at the football. The context is important. If the person or event is not related to that footballing context, it's just a silly gesture that could just as easily be done elsewhere. I'm fucking sick of it.

Edited by VincentGuerin

30 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

You’re not wrong 

Look at how the poppy has became a part of “football culture” in recent years 

Quiet reflection is no longer acceptable, you need to make a big song and dance out of it to show that you’re a true patriot 

35 minutes ago, AJF said:

I don't really disagree with a lot of that. I think people are well entitled to feel enough is enough and not take part in any further tributes or displays especially after a weekend of football was cancelled.

I do slightly disagree that people weren't going out their way to disrespect the queen, though. Chanting "Lizzie's in a box" during a silence to mark her passing is literally celebrating her death. Again, I don't personally feel offended by it, but I don't think anyone could argue it wasn't disrespectful. Again though, I've no real issues with people voicing their displeasure or dissent against the Monarchy or the rendition of GSTK.

Nothing that happened at Ibrox on Saturday was a protest or comment on anything to do with the monarchy.

It was a wind up aimed at your preposterous club.

Nobody would have sung that song if we were playing Morherwell at Tannadice.

Some outrage on here, although less hysterical than i'd expect. Looks like an axis of evil of Celtic fans and scotch separatists responsible. Sadly though the lazy b*****ds have done no more than a cursory scan of twitter and not come on here or club fora for some real sick bile. 

https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/news/scottish-news/fears-scotlands-reputation-keyboard-warriors-28037228.amp

41 minutes ago, AJF said:

I suppose Celtic fans made a banner - I’d still imagine they’d rather not have been forced to do a minute applause in the first place though even if they got their points across. Clubs in England apart from Liverpool had no reason to disrupt the minutes silence so when people down south see Celtic’s display they view it as a direct assault on the royal family as if they’d literally gatecrashed the funeral. 

I suppose nobody wins here and it just turns into complete pettiness. 

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Nothing that happened at Ibrox on Saturday was a protest or comment on anything to do with the monarchy.

It was a wind up aimed at your preposterous club.

Nobody would have sung that song if we were playing Morherwell at Tannadice.

I'm not arguing it would've been sung at any other ground. Whether it was done in protest against the monarchy or not, I don't think that means it wasn't disrespectful to celebrate someone's death just because you believe it was done in an effort to wind up the home support.

Janes whale again but look how angry he is when asked a fairly reasonable question about why he’s so subservient to the queen who he has never met and why it means so much to him. The guy on the phone hasn’t said anything offensive .

1 hour ago, throbber said:

You've got half of the highlighted sentence right. 

According to a poll taken in Scotland in May this year only 45% of Scots support the monarchy. Over the last 2 weeks those that don't have been very respectful considering the amount of 'respect' we have to show that institutions and media have foisted upon us on a daily basis. The SFA now demanding yet another show when monarchists and anti-monarchists have been doing it for 2 weeks is foolhardy in the extreme. If people boo I think it would be more about the principle of being pushed into a corner rather than an insult. But rest assured the media won't paint it that way.