Football and the various royal events

4 hours ago, parxyz said:

*screams internally*

The official period of mourning is over. FFS. 

I stood quiet on Sunday to respect those that wanted to applaud but I will be voicing my displeasure tomorrow night. And the tenuous “ patron of the SFA” nonsense can take a hike.

1 hour ago, Stevie Kirk said:

The official period of mourning is over. FFS. 

I stood quiet on Sunday to respect those that wanted to applaud but I will be voicing my displeasure tomorrow night. And the tenuous “ patron of the SFA” nonsense can take a hike.

Just wait till it's still going on at grounds the weekend after the international break. 

All the clubs who didn't have a home game this weekend will be doing a gesture when their next home game comes around 🤢

10 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Just wait till it's still going on at grounds the weekend after the international break. 

All the clubs who didn't have a home game this weekend will be doing a gesture when their next home game comes around 🤢

Sadly I think you are going to be proved correct on this. And that should take us up nicely to the end of October and the poppy season.

I think this will backfire on the SFA and having this virtue signalling exercise tomorrow is in very poor taste considering our opponents. Souness will be giving the Scotland support pelters come Thursday and yet none of us asked to be put in this position yet again .

26 minutes ago, O_Kahn said:

Would I be wrong to guess that the writer of this slightly nonsensical letter about Celtic fans (identical versions of which appeared in the P and J and Herald today) is the same woman who appeared in the Herald on a different matter?

Herald.png

Pretty sure she uses her position as a historian at University of Edinburgh as a platform to attack anything not wrapped in a Union Jack. She’s been at it for years and regularly has her letters and views published in the Edinburgh press without challenge. 

1 hour ago, O_Kahn said:

Would I be wrong to guess that the writer of this slightly nonsensical letter about Celtic fans (identical versions of which appeared in the P and J and Herald today) is the same woman who appeared in the Herald on a different matter?

Herald.png

Yeah it is her, she’s pretty deranged 

Also…

8 hours ago, parxyz said:

*screams internally*

Bizarre. Scottish football lost probably the best keeper it has ever produced just a few months ago and Scotland haven't played since.

I'd have thought a minute of applause specifically for Andy Goram would have been more suitable and far more well received in a Scotland context. Even most of those who didn't agree with him on a personal or political level would have stuck that aside to recognise what a keeper he was for the national side.

"Why oh why OH WHY has one half of Glasgow's footballing duopoly not been charged with a crime even though I'm sure it isn't a crime, something something Humza Yousaf [yawning literary chasm where criticism of the other half should be] it is a DISGRACE."

Seems like she's been writing Scottish Football columns for years and is remarkably well informed and attuned to the journalistic zeitgeist imo. 

Souness singling out Celtic suggests a more sinister motive but putting that aside for a moment, there have been so many folk like him, the "show some respect" bunch, who've (probably wilfully) missed the main point here. That main point is that much of the resistance displayed at grounds has been in protest at how this Queen stuff has been imposed on fans top-down. Contrast this with my experience of Livi-Motherwell games the last couple of seasons. An applause was held at Livi last season for a recently deceased Livi fan who was well-known and well-liked among supporters. Then this season, at Motherwell, an applause for a recently deceased Motherwell fan who again was much-loved. Both times, away fans and players joined in because there's a kinship there which folk feel, then its both voluntary and sincere. This Queen commemoration fans have had imposed on them has been the complete opposite.

I’m one of these guys who wouldn’t applaud for the Queen, but I wouldn’t disrupt any applause / silence in any way. For respect to her as an individual human being, for respect to my club, and for those fellow fans who do want to applaud / observe silence. I’d simply be hoping the minute of whatever would pass, and we could just watch the game. I’m also someone who has the Green Brigade marked down as a total pain in the arse. Jumped up fannies with an inflated sense of self importance. However, the funeral has happened. The longer this silence / applause shite rumbles on, the more I think they were perfectly within their rights to unfurl a banner if they wanted to. In short, I am very conflicted.

Time to draw a discreet veil over this applause / silence stuff. Surely.

Edited by pozbaird

11 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I’m one of these guys who wouldn’t applaud for the Queen, but I wouldn’t disrupt any applause / silence in any way. For respect to her as an individual human being, for respect to my club, and for those fellow fans who do want to applaud / observe silence. I’d simply be hoping the minute of whatever would pass, and we could just watch the game. I’m also someone who has the Green Brigade marked down as a total pain in the arse. Jumped up fannies with an inflated sense of self importance. However, the funeral has happened. The longer this silence / applause shite rumbles on, the more I think they were perfectly within their rights to unfurl a banner if they wanted to. In short, I am very conflicted.

Indeed. I think the cancelled round of fixtures poisoned the well with this episode. It's my belief that disaffection over that drove some of the booing we heard at last weekend's matches. It was an especially daft move by the SFA given the deceased's family had specifically requested for football authorities not to do it.

1 minute ago, FreedomFarter said:

Indeed. I think the cancelled round of fixtures poisoned the well with this episode. It's my belief that disaffection over that drove some of the booing we heard at last weekend's matches. It was an especially daft move by the SFA given the deceased's family had specifically requested for football authorities not to do it.

Far too much common sense in this post. Something I feel has been sorely lacking in the last week to ten days. Common sense and a degree of perspective.

Ach, what do I know? Bring on the Livvy.

9 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Aye, I've similar thoughts. At Ibrox on Saturday I felt it was a bit disrespectful to disrupt the silence with the chants that were made, but only due to the human element of someone having passed. After that, protesting against the monarchy and disrupting GSTK I've no issues with at all really.