Football and the various royal events

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

Regardless of political views, folk should be able to stand for a minutes applause or silence without creating a scene.

However, the politicising of the brittish national anthem by some has meant that for others, it's hugely divisive and tainted.

If some fans want to go over the top with their grieving, then that is up to them, but to everyone else it seems crass and in reality about something else. Equally, for others who dislike everything Crown related, maybe just hang back until the silence/applause is done.

I suspect most Scottish football fans are somewhere between, with a good many not exactly screaming royalists or Republicans, but respectful enough just to go with whatever is happening. 

Yeah but they shouldn't be forced to do either, I'm not going tomorrow coz we're playing the green half of the cheeks, I wouldn't have broken the minutes silence but I wouldn't have stood up for either or joined in the minutes applause . 

I won’t ‘cause a scene’ but I sure as f**k won’t be applauding at Easter road today. f**k that. 

Stuff like this is unavoidably political and it’s actually being foisted upon football fans so I defend anyones right to protest. If you are sat watching any sort of news commentary right now and thinking this isn’t political then you probably zip up at the back. 

There’s ways and means and people will cross a line but if you are forcing a very public showing of support for something on the public at the football then they have the right to reject it. 

I’m not going to the game, but would most certainly boo a minute’s applause - as I would for a pope. Whole thing is a load of fucking cringeworthy nonsense. 

On a side note, I wonder if David Beckham will also cry when his pal, the Qatari despot, kicks the bucket. 

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I won’t ‘cause a scene’ but I sure as f**k won’t be applauding at Easter road today. f**k that. 

Stuff like this is unavoidably political and it’s actually being foisted upon football fans so I defend anyones right to protest. If you are sat watching any sort of news commentary right now and thinking this isn’t political then you probably zip up at the back. 

There’s ways and means and people will cross a line but if you are forcing a very public showing of support for something on the public at the football then they have the right to reject it. 

This 100%. I wouldn’t attend a memorial service for the Queen out of choice but one is going to be foisted upon me at Fir Park tomorrow. The club won’t be daft enough to play GSTQ and if there’s a minutes applause or silence I will sit in my seat till it’s over.

i am not going to be forced to join in but equally I’m not going to shout or boo. I am tempted though but I am trying to respect the wishes of fellow fans. We shouldn’t  put in this position just because the Media want a montage of shots from around the grounds for their news reports, cos let’s face it that’s all this is for.

On 14/09/2022 at 09:00, DA Baracus said:

Wouldn't be so sure about this. Clubs now seem to think they have to do their own thing regarding the poppy bullshit, so even if they're away on the 'remembrance' weekend they will do their own nonsense display and silence etc the week before or after.

Dundee United might therefore do their own 'tribute' to the dead old c**t, as may all other clubs who aren't at home this weekend.

Aw f**k, just realised we go straight from this to Poppyfest

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

Boooooo!

I like how they single out Celtic fans for this

I have a real problem with that. Not from the perspective of **** the queen/royal family perspective but from the perspective you can't just censor something to make it look like it didn't happen. 

Sky are a broadcaster of the football. They do not get the privilege to distort what happened on or off the field. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

3 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I have a real problem with that. Not from the perspective of **** the queen/royal family perspective but from tbr perspective you can't just censor something to make it look like it didn't happen. 

Sky are a broadcaster of the footballer. They do not get the privilege to distort what happened on or off the field. 

It's Ofcom regulations regarding footage that could offend. 

2 hours ago, Booker-T said:

I thought the sycophantic garbage that went on when the pope kicked the bucket was annoying… but what’s going on now is brain damage.

there are people I know, who I thought had decent standards of emotional intelligence, that are showing grief levels beyond what they did when family members died.

You can joke about that without being thrown in jail though.

Safe in the knowledge that if The Pope dies another will Pope up.

31 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I have a real problem with that. Not from the perspective of **** the queen/royal family perspective but from the perspective you can't just censor something to make it look like it didn't happen. 

Sky are a broadcaster of the football. They do not get the privilege to distort what happened on or off the field. 

I totally agree with your sentiment here but the media want to portray this as a period of universal mourning and that all “subjects” are devastated. They wish to shape public opinion not reflect it - it doesn’t suit the narrative.

38 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You can joke about that without being thrown in jail though.

Safe in the knowledge that if The Pope dies another will Pope up.

It would be interesting if the Catholic Church adopted the monarchy’s hereditary tradition and when the Pope died they gave the job to his eldest son.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It would be interesting if the Catholic Church adopted the monarchy’s hereditary tradition and when the Pope died they gave the job to his eldest son.

I'm presuming that was meant to be deliberately funny. It was.

Edited by kingjoey

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

I'm presuming that was meant to be deliberately funny.

It was meant to be thought provoking.

Personally I think it should go to the eldest child whether it’s a boy or girl.  It would be refreshing to have a Pope Kylie.

I notice St Roch's, who have a connection with the Green Brigade, are playing Johnstone Burgh at home today.

I don't remember Johnstone Burgh being particularly staunch but it's intriguing if James McGrory Park turns out to be a tribute free zone