Football and the various royal events

30 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Gie it a break min.

THERE is set to be a special tribute to The Queen by Rangers on Saturday when they take on Dundee United.

A special edition of the match-day programme will be dedicated to Her Majesty following her passing this month.

Hey, they know their audience!

Bigots, lickspittles and servile self-loathing Scots.

49 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Gie it a break min.

THERE is set to be a special tribute to The Queen by Rangers on Saturday when they take on Dundee United.

A special edition of the match-day programme will be dedicated to Her Majesty following her passing this month.

Well saves them reviewing the last three games. 

Hopefully they remember this smiley happy picture.  Looking glorious.

MMcG qu.png

Edited by Eder

Regardless of political views, folk should be able to stand for a minutes applause or silence without creating a scene.

However, the politicising of the brittish national anthem by some has meant that for others, it's hugely divisive and tainted.

If some fans want to go over the top with their grieving, then that is up to them, but to everyone else it seems crass and in reality about something else. Equally, for others who dislike everything Crown related, maybe just hang back until the silence/applause is done.

I suspect most Scottish football fans are somewhere between, with a good many not exactly screaming royalists or Republicans, but respectful enough just to go with whatever is happening. 

2 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Regardless of political views, folk should be able to stand for a minutes applause or silence without creating a scene.

However, the politicising of the brittish national anthem by some has meant that for others, it's hugely divisive and tainted.

People don’t have to politicise the national anthem, it is by it’s nature a political statement. It supports a monarchical system, which is a political system. Disagreement with the monarchical system is in essence the same as disagreeing with first past the post voting systems or being against the use of referenda. Some personalise it which is another matter.

I thought the sycophantic garbage that went on when the pope kicked the bucket was annoying… but what’s going on now is brain damage.

there are people I know, who I thought had decent standards of emotional intelligence, that are showing grief levels beyond what they did when family members died.

18 minutes ago, Booker-T said:

there are people I know, who I thought had decent standards of emotional intelligence, that are showing grief levels beyond what they did when family members died.

Get rid of them?

They sound like the kind of emotional vampires that nobody needs

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

Get rid of them?

They sound like the kind of emotional vampires that nobody needs

I have done so on Facebook etc at least. The tricky bit is I work with some of these people. 

24 minutes ago, Booker-T said:

I thought the sycophantic garbage that went on when the pope kicked the bucket was annoying… but what’s going on now is brain damage.

Partly why I'm avoiding being in the stadium pre match. 

I don't want to see people I "like" getting all Royal Family loving. It'll make me think less of them. I shouldn't judge them on that one issue but I will. 

43 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

If some fans want to go over the top with their grieving, then that is up to them, but to everyone else it seems crass and in reality about something else. Equally, for others who dislike everything Crown related, maybe just hang back until the silence/applause is done.

I suspect most Scottish football fans are somewhere between, with a good many not exactly screaming royalists or Republicans, but respectful enough just to go with whatever is happening. 

Nope 

People should have the chance to protest that rotten institution every opportunity they get.

That national anthem has always been highly politicised, and again people should be able to protest it when they can. 

Hanging back in silence only helps the propaganda machine that surrounds the royal family.

If you’re going to mix football and politics by having something like this then you can’t really complain that others might have a different point of view 

2 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Partly why I'm avoiding being in the stadium pre match. 

I don't want to see people I "like" getting all Royal Family loving. It'll make me think less of them. I shouldn't judge them on that one issue but I will. 

Maybe it's about who I hang around with, but I can pretty much guarantee that there will be no wailing or faux sympathy where I sit........

49 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

A little bit of TL;DR, sorry about that…

i agreed with your initial point right up until it became clear that sports events or anything fun was being postponed and industrial action was being cancelled (never cancelled for exams or other events)

Then during an energy & cost of living crisis, the state would pay for a dead body to go on tour complete with a massive entourage… 

you can have your minute’s applause/silence in your house. 

5 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Maybe it's about who I hang around with, but I can pretty much guarantee that there will be no wailing or faux sympathy where I sit........

Think you’ll be unpleasantly surprised buddy