Football and the various royal events

The thing that I'm finding the weirdest is folk pretending that the Queen actually did anything that spectacular. I've seen articles with shite like "How the Queen unified Ireland once again" :D 

Saturday is going to be an all timer in the history of Scottish football banter, here's hoping that the actual games produce the same level. Bonus points for any players with a tribute under their top, someone like Andy Halliday is a prime candidate for that.

Edited by ATLIS

45 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

I think it also maybe to do with the fact that it celebrates genocide on Scots as well

"Lord grant that Marshal Wade, May by thy mighty aid, Victory bring. May he sedition hush, And like a torrent rush, Rebellious Scots to crush, God Save the King."

Never quite understood it to be honest as George Wade was a bit of a fuckwit as a military commander and if he wasn't replaced before Culloden Scottish history could be very different.

An unofficial verse added in 1745 by people in Tottenham I believe; north of the border the Jacobites replace it with:

God bless the prince, I pray,
Charlie I mean;
That Scotland we may see
Freed from vile Presbyt'ry,
Both George and his Feckie,
Ever so, Amen.

I believe the following verse also appeared in parts of the country:

From France and Pretender
Great Britain defend her,
Foes let them fall;
From foreign slavery,
Priests and their knavery,
And Popish Reverie,
God save us all.

20 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

The thing that I'm finding the weirdest is folk pretending that the Queen actually did anything that spectacular. I've seen articles with shite like "How the Queen unified Ireland once again" :D 

Saturday is going to be an all timer in the history of Scottish football banter, here's hoping that the actual games produce the same level. Bonus points for any players with a tribute under their top, someone like Andy Halliday is a prime candidate for that.

One of the benefits of being young (or significantly younger than me which isn't hard); in later years the monarchy became more of an anachronism.

As I posted on the other thread:

've been a republican (with a small "R") for over 40 years now; not that I think the Windsor's are bad people but because I think the world has moved on and would prefer something more aligned to the French system personally. That being said I've lived through the reign of Elizabeth R since the 50's to the present day; like most of us I've known no other. 

When I was born we still had the remains of an Empire and even at school we were taught how proud be should be of the British Empire bringing civilization to the rest of the world (yes; yes; I know).

As the Empire broke up there was a huge period of uncertainty whether we would have a good relationship with our previous "subjects" or not (where we had previously been the "masters"). To my eternal shame I do recall telling a lad from East Africa (Tanzania) how better off his country was under British colonial control rather than under the German tyranny which it had been prior to the first world war. He just adopted a polite conciliatory tone rather than ask me what the hell I was talking about. That was indicative of the public view of the time we had a gawd awful conceit about us even through into the 70's.

Many of our prime ministers seemed devoted to making things worse; the like of Eden and the Suez crisis were the tip of the iceberg; I remember examples like the various Arab royal families visiting London; ostensively to visit Harold Wilson or Heath or McMillan; but spending more time with the Queen learnings diplomacy and protocol from someone who'd had it drilled into her virtually her whole life.

A huge amount of business was also done off the back off the Royal Yacht Britannia and its various official visits overseas. Even after the country joined the Common Market such deals did not slow down. Even as this changed to the European Union and various prime ministers like Thatcher did her best to upset the likes of the French; the monarch remained a constant leveller.

I feel there have been a lot of potential conflicts that have been avoided throughout the ex-empire but the monarchs actual existence and the commonwealth is probably the best legacy of that.

I personally feel that Elizabeth R did an immense lot for us; a job that few would really have chosen; life under the microscope; every day a target for any disgruntled loony with the opportunity. Even death is not a private matter. For that reason I will respect her passing as much as I respect those who feel some form of personal loss. I will also honour a minutes silence if required.

I do however find the need to televise a car doing 25 mph down the A90 a bit odd; if I want to do that I'll drive up to Aberdeen on Christmas Eve.

That being said the world has changed and we (as in the people of the British Isles) are no longer the great world power we were. Do we have a place on the world stage; undoubtedly yes; but are we one of the five world leaders? Is a monarchy still relevant? Well with so many of our Caribbean friends now ditching the monarchy; the last real role of head of the commonwealth is also in doubt

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

An unofficial verse added in 1745 by people in Tottenham I believe; north of the border the Jacobites replace it with:

Charlie I mean;
That Scotland we may see
Freed from vile Presbyt'ry,
Both George and his Feckie,
Ever so, Amen.

I believe the following verse also appeared in parts of the country:

From France and Pretender
Great Britain defend her,
Foes let them fall;
From foreign slavery,
Priests and their knavery,
And Popish Reverie,
God save us all.

I think we should reinstate that one...

3 hours ago, houston_bud said:

You'd be forgiven for thinking that the SNP are the biggest Royalists in Scottish politics after hearing some of the gushing from them over the past few days. Blackford on Andrew Marr's radio show last night was a total King Charles fan boy.

Every so often you discover a thick as shit idiot on P&B that you hadn’t really noticed before.

Houston bud, come on down!