Football and the various royal events

14 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Booing is childish; I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise. Its hardly the height or witty repartee. Its also extremely offensive to those others, including players, that want to register their respect.

If people want to register some sort of discontent then surely back-turning is the least disruptive for those other supporters who actually want to observe the silence.

I'll observe any silence out of respect to my fellow supporters and to the woman, not as a monarch particularly as I've been a republican for four decades and wont change now, but for the service she gave.

GSTK (or GSTQ as was) is particularly contentious in Scotland mostly just because the English football team use it as their anthem. If they were to stick to "Jerusalem" or "land of hope and glory" or even "tie a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree"; I don't think there'd be half the problem. Most people dont know more than the first verse anyway.

Why does your respects have to be at a football stadium exactly?

Especially when they’ve announced a nationwide silence on Sunday at 8pm

Isnt that the appropriate time to show your respects?

Booing is great, it shows people don’t agree with the monarchy, standing in silence out of “respect” only helps the myth we are all royalists who agree with the current system.

Now is the perfect time to voice your displeasure of if all

24 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Booing is childish; I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise. Its hardly the height or witty repartee. Its also extremely offensive to those others, including players, that want to register their respect.

If people want to register some sort of discontent then surely back-turning is the least disruptive for those other supporters who actually want to observe the silence.

I'll observe any silence out of respect to my fellow supporters and to the woman, not as a monarch particularly as I've been a republican for four decades and wont change now, but for the service she gave.

GSTK (or GSTQ as was) is particularly contentious in Scotland mostly just because the English football team use it as their anthem. If they were to stick to "Jerusalem" or "land of hope and glory" or even "tie a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree"; I don't think there'd be half the problem. Most people dont know more than the first verse anyway.

591D85AC-0C4C-4430-85EA-99F589DC7BDC.gif.c63f2ffcd668da1ada26d2c1efc262d4.gif

26 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Booing is great, it shows people don’t agree with the monarchy, standing in silence out of “respect” only helps the myth we are all royalists who agree with the current system.

I think blowing a raspberry is more in fitting with the traditions of this country and better shows contempt than booing

"And now arise for the National Anthem"

Crowd of malcontents: THRRRRRRRRP!

17 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I'm not saying whether it should happen or not, Personally I rather not; there's already been enough coverage on TV already - Christ; I turned on the TV yesterday to catch the news and hopefully an update on the Ukrainian situation; instead I ended up looking at a box in a room as people filed passed LIVE; and then they repeated the footage.  The counter offensive in the Ukraine was crammed into about 3 minutes.

Booing doesn't show you disagree with anything; just that you cannot respect other people's wishes. if you wish to register your disagreement with the monarchy why not hold up a banner saying so or some other dignified protest? I'm sorry but booing really is kindergarten stuff mostly performed by people because someone else has started it.

Turning your back or simply remaining seated and playing with your phone is equally effective. 

8 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I think blowing a raspberry is more in fitting with the traditions of this country and better shows contempt than booing

I prefer the Billy Connolly of replacing God Save the Queen with the theme from the Archers.

Just imagine; we could get to the 96th minute and suddenly the stadium erupts into a rousing chorus of 

Derrum de dum de dum de dum

Dum de dum de dum dum

Derrum de dum de dum de dum

Dum de dum titty dum

I'm welling up already....

On 12/09/2022 at 13:27, DA Baracus said:

Surely clubs won't be stupid enough to play GSTK?

I'm really worried we'll do it. We usually go full pelt when it's Remembrance and we still have a blacked out badge on social media. I'll be walking away if it gets played.  

29 minutes ago, Durnford said:

I'm not saying whether it should happen or not, Personally I rather not; there's already been enough coverage on TV already - Christ; I turned on the TV yesterday to catch the news and hopefully an update on the Ukrainian situation; instead I ended up looking at a box in a room as people filed passed LIVE; and then they repeated the footage.  The counter offensive in the Ukraine was crammed into about 3 minutes.

Booing doesn't show you disagree with anything; just that you cannot respect other people's wishes. if you wish to register your disagreement with the monarchy why not hold up a banner saying so or some other dignified protest? I'm sorry but booing really is kindergarten stuff mostly performed by people because someone else has started it.

Turning your back or simply remaining seated and playing with your phone is equally effective. 

We had another poster on the previous page telling us that turning your back is also childish. This is all getting a bit confusing tbh.

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

It's hardly a profound protest. It looks like a childish strop. Booing is what fans do when a pantomine villain dives to win a penalty or they don't think their team are putting in enough effort. 

What is it achieving? Other than bad press for the clubs involved?

What point are people trying to make by booing? That they didn't like the Queen herself? That they don't like the institution of monarchy? Something else?  

A public show of disaffection.

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

Aye but let’s be honest, most folk don’t really give a f**k. There isn’t much of a meaningful republican movement in Scotland.  An independent Scotland would (apparently) still have a monarchy which barely registers in the independence debate - this tells me very few people genuinely care. 

That’s why, if some folk care enough to want to have a minutes silence at a game then just let them have it. You can’t have both, if you boo you take away the minutes silence. And it’s probably for a cause you (not you specifically) probably don’t really give a f**k about. Which just reduces it to arsehole behaviour. 

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Doesn't sound all that Covid friendly.

23 minutes ago, CoF said:

Aye but let’s be honest, most folk don’t really give a f**k. There isn’t much of a meaningful republican movement in Scotland.  An independent Scotland would (apparently) still have a monarchy which barely registers in the independence debate - this tells me very few people genuinely care. 

You'd be forgiven for thinking that the SNP are the biggest Royalists in Scottish politics after hearing some of the gushing from them over the past few days. Blackford on Andrew Marr's radio show last night was a total King Charles fan boy.

6 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

You'd be forgiven for thinking that the SNP are the biggest Royalists in Scottish politics after hearing some of the gushing from them over the past few days. Blackford on Andrew Marr's radio show last night was a total King Charles fan boy.

They would be foolish to do anything but play it that way.

There are thousands of red faced Tories, Inc the Mail/Express etc just desperate for the SNP leadership to say or do anything those funds deem "controversial".

It's only a few days, then we can get back to hostilities.

2 hours ago, Durnford said:

GSTK (or GSTQ as was) is particularly contentious in Scotland mostly just because the English football team use it as their anthem. 

I think it also maybe to do with the fact that it celebrates genocide on Scots as well

"Lord grant that Marshal Wade, May by thy mighty aid, Victory bring. May he sedition hush, And like a torrent rush, Rebellious Scots to crush, God Save the King."

Never quite understood it to be honest as George Wade was a bit of a fuckwit as a military commander and if he wasn't replaced before Culloden Scottish history could be very different.

It's going to be an epic weekend of Scottish football. I'm giving serious consideration to emailing clubs as Lord Somebody or other, imploring them to play GSTK as not doing so would be highly disrespectful.

22 minutes ago, Stringer Bell said:

It's going to be an epic weekend of Scottish football. I'm giving serious consideration to emailing clubs as Lord Somebody or other, imploring them to play GSTK as not doing so would be highly disrespectful.

I hope they announce in advance if any clubs are gonna do it so I can fire up the IPTV and watch the carnage :)