Football and the various royal events

Would it be out of order to suggest that the SFA/SPFL, often maligned for their lack of foresight and planning, should opt for a two minute silence/boo-athon to cover King Charles' inevitable future death in a sort of buy one get one free deal, so we don't have to go through this whole palaver again?

2 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

That's my plan. Head for a well timed pish when all the nonsense is happening. 

Yeah - I also don't want to end up finding out a few of the guys around me are royalists etc. It'll taint my view on them 😬😂

2 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Come on ! Whatever your views it's an event not seen for 70 years. Surely merits a jobby !!!!

Not sure that's safe in a football stadium toilet 😬

4 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Don’t worry.

Welldaft will be observing the minutes silence, saluting, with a stiff upper lip.

I have Royal robes made up in claret and amber. Should be quite the occasion.

The King gave me a wave today on his way out of Edinburgh to the airport. He also shouted out the window about not getting upset at the wankers on P&B. I told his Majesty that I never do 🤷‍♂️😉

I shall go back to see the Queen pass by just as I did when she came into the city. Only a few minutes from my house. I suspect there won’t be as many as the thousands that there were there on Sunday. 

I’ll not be attending Hereford vs. Bromsgrove in the FA Cup Saturday because I’m sure it’ll go well ‘Rangersy’ and I’d rather stay out of that shite. 

Also, none of my mates are going so the misery of dealing with that solo would be way too much. 

alpha book club judging you GIF by Alpha

50 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I think I would hold up a sign saying "Sorry, The Queen was quite nice and all but I'd really quite like a republic now. Thank you" 

So long as you don't start singing the Joel Barlow words to the tune of God Save the KIng you'll be fine.

Some of the toys out the pram patter on this is incredible. I saw someone on twitter saying they'd hand their season ticket back if God Save the King is played. Imagine allowing yourself to get so worked up over it. Equally as bad as the folk queuing for hours and hours to get into St Giles Cathedral last night.

I'd be surprised if GSTK is played at many (any?) grounds, but I'm pretty sure there'll be a minutes silence before the weekend games. I'm inclined to agree with previous posts that silences/applauses at matches should be reserved for people connected to the club. At the same time if there's a minutes silence any booing/backturning and the likes just comes across as childish. 

5 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I don’t see how

It's hardly a profound protest. It looks like a childish strop. Booing is what fans do when a pantomine villain dives to win a penalty or they don't think their team are putting in enough effort. 

What is it achieving? Other than bad press for the clubs involved?

What point are people trying to make by booing? That they didn't like the Queen herself? That they don't like the institution of monarchy? Something else?  

13 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Some of the toys out the pram patter on this is incredible. I saw someone on twitter saying they'd hand their season ticket back if God Save the King is played. Imagine allowing yourself to get so worked up over it. Equally as bad as the folk queuing for hours and hours to get into St Giles Cathedral last night.

I'd be surprised if GSTK is played at many (any?) grounds, but I'm pretty sure there'll be a minutes silence before the weekend games. I'm inclined to agree with previous posts that silences/applauses at matches should be reserved for people connected to the club. At the same time if there's a minutes silence any booing/backturning and the likes just comes across as childish. 

Booing is childish; I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise. Its hardly the height or witty repartee. Its also extremely offensive to those others, including players, that want to register their respect.

If people want to register some sort of discontent then surely back-turning is the least disruptive for those other supporters who actually want to observe the silence.

I'll observe any silence out of respect to my fellow supporters and to the woman, not as a monarch particularly as I've been a republican for four decades and wont change now, but for the service she gave.

GSTK (or GSTQ as was) is particularly contentious in Scotland mostly just because the English football team use it as their anthem. If they were to stick to "Jerusalem" or "land of hope and glory" or even "tie a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree"; I don't think there'd be half the problem. Most people dont know more than the first verse anyway.