monkeys in pet shops

moses1924

Apparently it's still allowed...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pet-stores-online-dealers-selling-13994677

As long as keeping monkeys as pets is legal, shops like Manchester Pets & Aquatics can advertise and sell them...

This week it had a pair of Geoffroy’s marmosets priced at £2,800, while in another cage were cotton eared marmosets at £2,600 for a pair.

My colleague Paul Byrne visited the shop and was told he could buy them immediately

2 hours ago, moses1924 said:

Does anyone know when they stopped selling monkeys in pet shops in Scotland? Been arguing with someone about whether they saw a monkey in a pet shop in Falkikrk in the mid '80s, think the pet shop was just round the corner from town center...

That would have been Kynoch's pet shop, they had all sorts of exotics when I was growing up in the 90s so it wouldn't surprise me if they were selling monkeys in the 80s. Pretty sure the resident parrot escaped and was recovered from the roof of the steeple at once point.

My dad bought a runty puppy from them because he felt sorry for it on his way home from school once. She was still on the go when I was a toddler. 

57 minutes ago, philpy said:

Ah threw a macaque monkey in the sea once when a were stationed oot in belize. Little b*****d ate all me fags, 200 duty free

Well, like, it didn't go straight in. It bounced off a rock first.

7 hours ago, Rizzo said:

That would have been Kynoch's pet shop, they had all sorts of exotics when I was growing up in the 90s so it wouldn't surprise me if they were selling monkeys in the 80s. Pretty sure the resident parrot escaped and was recovered from the roof of the steeple at once point.

My dad bought a runty puppy from them because he felt sorry for it on his way home from school once. She was still on the go when I was a toddler. 

That's the one @Rizzojust googled it and it was Kynoch's, probably was monkeys there then in the 80's, thanks

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

I'd imagine there aren't many folk selling monkeys at pet shops because most of them would be returned within the day. They're not exactly pleasant wee creatures.

There is one in a cage where we buy our BBQ chicken. Seems very aggressive and tries to grab anyone walking past - it managed to get a hold of my son's hair one time but let it go without much of a fight.  There is also an eagle in a cage next to it.  

7 minutes ago, hk blues said:

There is one in a cage where we buy our BBQ chicken. Seems very aggressive and tries to grab anyone walking past - it managed to get a hold of my son's hair one time but let it go without much of a fight.  There is also an eagle in a cage next to it.  

TBF, we'd probably all become quite aggressive if we were locked in a cage away from all the BBQ chicken.

Just now, BFTD said:

TBF, we'd probably all become quite aggressive if we were locked in a cage away from all the BBQ chicken.

The cages were behind the chicken stall so they could smell the chicken but not see it.  I guess this wound the eagle up more than the monkey.