9/11

Think it was about 11pm here and was doing some channel hopping before going to bed when one news station then the next etc etc.  Eventually got to bed a few hours later, work the next morning was fairly sombre. It did have some impact on me and loads of others as additional airport security screening became an absolute pain in the arse.

I was in 5th year in school, it just 3 days before my 16th birthday and incidentally my mum's 49th birthday (Cant believe I have a 70 year old parent now).  Think I was in English class when my older brother texted me saying the Twin Towers had collapsed.  I immediately showed my mate next to be who replied 'The fuck are the twin towers?'.  On the way home there was loads of wee kids shouting that the world was ending etc.

As I got home my mum came out and told me what had happened.  The rest of the night was sat watching the news and eating some of my mum's birthday cake.

The thing that sticks with me most about that day was Inverness Airport was still open and a late EasyJet plane came over the house, as it always did, and by fuck I could've sworn that thing was right above my house, it sounded about 100 times louder and closer than it usually did.

On 11/09/2022 at 13:38, BFTD said:

Considering how many folk here have admitted to being a bit clueless about what the World Trade Center was, I wonder how many Americans also weren't terribly aware of it before it was brought down.

It turned up in lots of skyline shots of New York in films and TV, but I don't know how many people could say what the purpose of the Empire State Building is, so maybe it was the same for the Twin Towers™.

The “Twin Towers” were pretty well known simply because of their height and location. They played in some pop culture references, and that helped too (the first three seasons of The Sopranos has the twin towers pictured in Tony’s mirror during his drive, and for season four it was replaced with a generic skyline view). Honestly, I know no one who didn’t know what the Twin Towers were.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

The “Twin Towers” were pretty well known simply because of their height and location. They played in some pop culture references, and that helped too (the first three seasons of The Sopranos has the twin towers pictured in Tony’s mirror during his drive, and for season four it was replaced with a generic skyline view). Honestly, I know no one who didn’t know what the Twin Towers were.

Aye, I saw a video once about how TV producers were obsessed with them. There were loads of Nineties shows that had the World Trade Center in their title sequences, which has made life a bit awkward with regard to reruns.

On 12/09/2022 at 08:38, TheScarf said:

I was in 5th year in school, it just 3 days before my 16th birthday and incidentally my mum's 49th birthday (Cant believe I have a 70 year old parent now).  Think I was in English class when my older brother texted me saying the Twin Towers had collapsed.  I immediately showed my mate next to be who replied 'The f**k are the twin towers?'.  On the way home there was loads of wee kids shouting that the world was ending etc.

As I got home my mum came out and told me what had happened.  The rest of the night was sat watching the news and eating some of my mum's birthday cake.

The thing that sticks with me most about that day was Inverness Airport was still open and a late EasyJet plane came over the house, as it always did, and by f**k I could've sworn that thing was right above my house, it sounded about 100 times louder and closer than it usually did.

Enjoy her while you have her, friend.

On 11/09/2022 at 17:10, Monkey Tennis said:

6.30pm our time.

That's about right as I recall.  

Watched both games surrounded by boxes as we were about to move house to the one we're still in now. 

9/11 happened 4 days after we moved.  Learnt about it on the way home from work.  4 of us were car sharing.  I remember hearing of a tower coming down on the radio and not realising it was still full of people.

The game was fairly early. One of the lassies I worked with at the time had said we should all go up and see Rolf Harris at the Garage that night - obviously this was before the revelations and back when he was a draw for punters trying to be ironic - and there was a squad of us watching the game in one of the pubs across the road before going in. Gigs at the Garage always have a 10pm curfew so it was defo early doors.

Midway through the second half, someone saw the old reprobate walking along Sauchiehall St so we piled out the boozer and got photos and autographs.

The only plus point of the evening is that I can now say from experience I'd rather meet a nonce than watch England win.