What game(s) that you missed would you want to see?

Astra v The Caley in 2015.  When the dates were announced for the round I booked the first week off as I had a hunch we would be away in the first leg. 'If not ill just swap the week off, work will be fine with that' I thought.

Turns out we were at home the first leg and I couldn't get my week off swapped to the next week as too many folk were off then.  Managed to watch it live on a dodgy stream but I'm still raging at myself 7 years later for not booking the next week off.  The home leg was utter piss too.  We could still be playing now and not scored.

Club - Either the first win at Ibrox since 91 or the Hearts and Rangers games at the end of 06/07. Was in Vancouver at the time and watched both on TV in the mornings, looked like incredible bounces. Would've loved to have been at Rijeka, Dnipro and Groningen away too.

Country - Don't really do Scotland games, last one I was at was a miserable friendly defeat to RoI at Hampden when Clinton Morrison scored. Missed out on title winning celebrations for Glasgow Caley fitba team that night as my mates were down from Aberdeen for the game. I've never forgiven the national team for this. 

Other - Maybe City's Aguerrrrrrooooooo moment. That place must've been electric that day. Would've loved to have been at Newcastle 5-0 Man Utd or Newcastle beating Barca in the Champions League with an Asprilla hat trick. These were back in the days when I actually cared if Newcastle won or not. 

Edited by 10menwent2mow

I was only 1 and a half when we won the league, so it would have been nice to have been old enough to experience that. I was at both winning cup finals, and the home win over Barca, so there aren't really any games that would be above that in my lifetime.

For Scotland, it would have to be the opening game in the 98 World Cup. I know we lost, but we may never see Scotland play in the WC again, never mind the opening game, what an experience that would have been.

Outside of United and Scotland, being at the 99 CL Final for the scenes at the end would have been awesome, or the 2011 CL Final watch that lesson that Barca dished out to Man Utd in person.

Almost didn't go to our game where we beat Celtic 2-0. First time we'd ever beaten them too. I was absolutely hanging from the night before and had to be persuaded at the last minute to actually go.

I was thinking, 12 kick off, I feel like shite and we'll probably get pumped anyway. Fair to say I was glad I went :D Dykes lobbing Fraser Forster might genuinely be the best hangover cure imaginable.

13 hours ago, AJF said:

In the end a shocking referee decision not to award us a foul cost us

I keep thinking back to that too but then I am reminded Italy scored a good goal early doors that was chalked off and Ferguson probably should have got his chalked off for offside.

I am probably wrong but it was the first time I remember the tannoy playing Insomnia just prior to Scotland coming out.  That added to the rain pouring down on a flodlight pissed up Hampden made it all the more atmospheric.  

Right up until they scored their second we were still in with a slight chance of qualifying but needed France to feck up, typical Scotland...it's the hope that kills ye.

As soon as I realised the foul had went to Italy I felt the worst  When Italy scored it all seemed to be in slow motion and as soon as the ball hit the back of the net I said to myself "That's us oot" and a stunned silence hung over us.  I don't think we said anything amongst us until we got back in a pub. 

14 hours ago, ropy said:

If I had been at St Mirren 0 - 4 Motherwell (Kirk 4) I wouldn’t have been at my first wedding.

It was at Fir Park not Love St.

ETA, don't say I'm not good to you.

Further ETA...Derek Rae's ridiculous accent

"Dug Ar-NOTT"

Edited by Arch Stanton

Queens v the original **** in the League Cup in 75-76.  We lived close to Palmerston.  There was torrential rain and my Dad was sure the game would be off (though with the benefit of hindsight his experience told him that a game against them on a foul night wouldn't be great experience for 12 year old meand he probably assumed they would roll over Queens).   Queens won 2-1 after losing the firs leg 1-0 and it took an extra time goal for them to get through en route to a treble.

Easy one for me. My youngest was born the day before Killie beat Arbroath to win the league in April, and they came home on the day of the game. We kept the oldest out of his bed that night and the four of us watched the game on the TV. A lovely memory obviously, but I'd still have loved to be there.

For Scotland it's a bit trickier, the obvious answer for me is Belgrade - but in a way the feeling of the whole country watching the game on their tellies seemed to add to the romanticism of the occasion. 

I went down to visit a pal in Newcastle for the weekend a number of years ago, with grand plans of going to the football on the Saturday. We ended up getting absolutely blootered on the Friday and deciding that a relaxed afternoon in the pub was preferable to getting into the city centre for the game. Ended up being Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal, with the home side coming back from a four goal deficit. Would have been utterly amazing. 

On 12/09/2022 at 09:07, AJF said:

Club: When we beat Fiorentina on penalties to make the UEFA Cup final. Pretty self explanatory one but a match where it was Walter's "anti-football" that saw us cling on for dear life then snatch it in one of the most dramatic fashions. We even fell behind in the penalty shoot out but managed to turn it round.

Country: Maybe a slightly different choice, but Scotland 1 - 2 Italy in our Euro 2008 qualifying campaign is one I'd love to have experienced. I can't really remember a build up to a Scotland match quite like it in my lifetime. I was only 8 during France 98 so never fully appreciated it, but this was the first time I felt that a Scotland side could actually achieve something. I remember leaving work the day before the match and the local JJB had a queue out the door with people trying to buy a Scotland shirt.

Going behind so early in the match was a kick in the teeth but we took the game to Italy after that, I thought we'd scored when a ball was cleared off the line. The pub I was in had a lad up on the pool table at half time playing bagpipes and the scenes when Ferguson scored the equaliser was amazing there so to experience it in the stadium would've been unreal. In the end a shocking referee decision not to award us a foul cost us but I think that's one match I look back on the most and wish I was there.

Shitting the bed against Georgia cost us more than that refereeing decision did tbh.

Speaking of which, I was out that night at a gig (I didn't have a mobile then so couldn't check the score) and some absolute fanny told me that Scotland had won the Georgia match and had therefore qualified. You can imagine my reaction to seeing the actual score.

3 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Shitting the bed against Georgia cost us more than that refereeing decision did tbh.

Speaking of which, I was out that night at a gig (I didn't have a mobile then so couldn't check the score) and some absolute fanny told me that Scotland had won the Georgia match and had therefore qualified. You can imagine my reaction to seeing the actual score.

IIRC we had to beat Italy to qualify. The draw would have only suited us if France had lost to Ukraine a few days later, in which case we'd have qualified on head-to-head. Ultimately though, France draw 2-2 with Ukraine so even if we'd held on for a point at home to Italy, we'd have finished a point behind them anyway. Given that the refereeing decision enabled Italy to turn a 1-1 draw into a 2-1 win for them, it ultimately made no difference.

Had we beaten Georgia, we'd have qualified anyway, or even if we got a point in Georgia then a point at home to Italy would have been enough (Although arguably France might have then gone all out to beat Ukraine)

12 minutes ago, Donathan said:

IIRC we had to beat Italy to qualify. The draw would have only suited us if France had lost to Ukraine a few days later, in which case we'd have qualified on head-to-head. Ultimately though, France draw 2-2 with Ukraine so even if we'd held on for a point at home to Italy, we'd have finished a point behind them anyway. Given that the refereeing decision enabled Italy to turn a 1-1 draw into a 2-1 win for them, it ultimately made no difference.

Had we beaten Georgia, we'd have qualified anyway, or even if we got a point in Georgia then a point at home to Italy would have been enough (Although arguably France might have then gone all out to beat Ukraine)

Yeah, we needed the win against Italy. A draw was not enough.

To have lost that game was very unfortunate because it was a good performance and the decision that led to the Italian winner was BS.

However, winning in Georgia would have qualified us and the Italy game would then not have been a game we HAD to win.

That particular campaign had some absolutely brilliant moments and deserved a better ending. 

36 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

For clarity I meant the decision cost us in the context of the match itself rather than the group overall. But as was pointed out by @Sugar_Army, we probably had a few decisions in our favour that night as well.

Edited by AJF

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

For clarity I meant the decision cost us in the context of the match itself rather than the group overall. But as was pointed out by @Sugar_Army, we probably had a few decisions in our favour that night as well.

Ah, fair enough. 

Sorry, I assumed you were talking about qualification.

Totally agree with the Georgia result.  We not only blew a qualification chance but it must have put doubt in the mind of players and management.  It turned a game against Italy from where the pressure to get a result would have been eased, to a massive must win/must not lose while at the same time giving a boost to both the Italians and French.

As brilliant as that campaign was, I doubt there was many surprised when we bottled it in Georgia. It was peak Scotland banter.

Just went and had a look back in case my memory was failing me but unfortunately not, in fact it sends a cold shiver down your spine. 

"Georgia went ahead after 16 minutes, when 17-year-old Levan Mchedlidze headed powerfully home....

Georgia coach Klaus Toppmoller, whose side had no chance of qualifying, handed a debut to 17-year-old goalkeeper Giorgi Makaridze, who has yet to play for Dinamo Tbilisi...

Levan Kenia, a 16-year-old with Schalke 04, was also in central midfield, with Empoli's Mchedlidze up front for a Georgia side themselves without several key players.

I was in England that day and had watched them lose 2-1 to Russia a few hours earlier, left the pub with a wee warm glow then went back to see us fall flat on our face.

Edited by Sugar_Army

We all knew we weren't winning in Georgia, surely? The general feeling seemed to be that we'd probably lose to Georgia, then beat Italy.

As usual, we were half right. Our self-invented stereotype of beating the top teams and losing to poor ones doesn't seem to involve the former as often as we'd like to think.