Week 1 (ITS BACK! 🏈)

lichtie23

I never thought I could be raging at a team getting beat in the NFL, but after last night and the manner Titans lost it, I am pretty fuckin' livid.

Why the f**k do I keep supporting teams in dark blue?

Dundee - Shite

Scotland - Shite

Titans - Shite

To rub salt into the wound, I released Shepherd from my fantasy league team last week. 

Roll on next week mutha-fucka's!

Edited by johnnydun

18 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I never thought I could be raging at a team getting beat in the NFL, but after last night and the manner Titans lost it, I am pretty fuckin' livid.

Why the f**k do I keep supporting teams in dark blue?

Dundee - Shite

Scotland - Shite

Titans - Shite

To rub salt into the wound, I released Shepherd from my fantasy league team last week. 

Roll on next week mutha-fucka's!

DB7D0313-9B56-4DA5-AA7B-B80AD2045C5B.jpeg

35 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I admit I get far too wound up when the Chargers play like shit and lose, and I think it's because with NFL football being a series of set plays and player on player match-ups, individual mental errors normally stand out immediately, and it's usually pretty clear exactly why your team is either getting beat or beating themselves.

When the Dee play like shite and lose the precise reason isn't always immediately apparent, so it doesn't tend to wind me up the way watching the Chargers does, but then if I sit and watch a Dundee game a second time I see more and more of the problems but by that time I'll have calmed down a good bit anyway.

NFL can be really frustrating to watch live if you are invested in one of the teams playing, and I don't think the high of seeing TD's scored, big runs, or Sacks etc really offsets the facepalm moments of seeing an idiot DB blow a coverage, a WR drop a simple catch, or some garbage PS-level guy f**k up on ST's because he doesn't understand the rules. The sort of big game-changing errors are immediately obvious in the NFL, whereas with football, other than the goals going in it isn't always immediately clear why you got beat.

Edited by Boo Khaki

43 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I admit I get far too wound up when the Chargers play like shit and lose, and I think it's because with NFL football being a series of set plays and player on player match-ups, individual mental errors normally stand out immediately, and it's usually pretty clear exactly why your team is either getting beat or beating themselves.

When the Dee play like shite and lose the precise reason isn't always immediately apparent, so it doesn't tend to wind me up the way watching the Chargers does, but then if I sit and watch a Dundee game a second time I see more and more of the problems but by that time I'll have calmed down a good bit anyway.

NFL can be really frustrating to watch live if you are invested in one of the teams playing, and I don't think the high of seeing TD's scored, big runs, or Sacks etc really offsets the facepalm moments of seeing an idiot DB blow a coverage, a WR drop a simple catch, or some garbage PS-level guy f**k up on ST's because he doesn't understand the rules. The sort of big game-changing errors are immediately obvious in the NFL, whereas with football, other than the goals going in it isn't always immediately clear why you got beat.

I don’t think there’s much difference to be honest. Watching St Mirren there’s the high of a goal being scored, a great save, or just someone putting in a great tackle. The lows of a striker missing an open goal, a keeper letting one trundle past him, or a defender short with a passback costing a cheap goal mimic the highs and lows of live NFL. Having been to three live NFL games in the USA, involving mostly fans of both competeing teams, my opinion is that they are as passionate and into it as our football fans are. There are differences of course, unsegregated stadiums and so on, but it’s pretty close in passion. The biggest sporting event I’ve been at which was a complete let down for any sort of genuine fan involvement was my one and only trip to Murrayfield for a six nations game v Ireland. Chunts just chatting to their pals about anything bar the game and quaffing wee swallies from hip flasks. Dreadful.

The three live games I’ve been at in the USA were good fixtures for fan involvement though. New England @ Denver, New England @ NY Jets, and Dallas @ Washington. Pretty lively ‘on the terraces’. 😁

The hype here in Denver is even greater than previous week 1's.  I think I want them to win just to keep the buzz about the place but I still can't say I am feeling it. (I gave up on my chosen franchise, The San Diego Chargers after they pulled that crap with the city a few years back and still don't have anyone I want more than others).

Some strange playcalling by the Broncos in the Redzone and also going for a 64 yard field goal (different if it was in Denver maybe).

I'd have gone for it on 4th and 5 instead.

Sort of game the Broncos had to win if they're gonna make the playoffs you'd think.

Seahawks top of the NFC West and Geno had a decent game.

3 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Listening to one of my many nfl podcasts this morning and apparently that’s the 1st Browns opening day victory since 2004!

Doesn't say much for the Panthers that they lost at home to a Jacoby Brissett-led Browns when this was Mayfield's big revenge game.

Fair enough, the Browns are still a reasonably solid roster just missing their QB, but still, they shouldn't be going on the road and winning by scoring 26 v's any half-way competent team.

A few hot takes from week 1. Seems the talk about the Pats O being a binfire may well be on the money. It's surprising to me since NE is usually so well coached, but the lack of direction appears to be magnifying a comparative lack of talent to create a 'perfect shitstorm'.

I thought the Eagles were being over-rated in pre-season but I might be wrong on that front. Still, I think they need to beat better opponents than Detroit to prove they are legit, and giving up that many points to anybody should be concerning.

The Jags need to start winning very soon or they risk Lawrence' career going down the pan. If they can't beat teams like the Commanderskinsteam they are in serious bother.

This might well be the season where the wheels fall off in GB. Minn is solid enough and is usually a handful at home, but GB looked genuinely anaemic and I could easily see that turning into a nasty shit-spiral that descends into truly awful season record. 

AFC North could well be more of a dogfight than anticipated. I still think Cinci is a bit of a paper tiger (sorry) who massively over-achieved last season, Baltimore has a healthy Lamar despite his limitations, Cleveland might be able to go at least .500 and hold the fort until Happy Endings is back, and as I've said before Pitt usually makes life easy for their QB's so it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them post a winning record regardless of whether it's an entire season of Trubisky or Pickett takes the job at some point. I could see it being one of those division fights where everyone is within a game or two of .500 and nobody really out of it until the death.

4 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Some strange playcalling by the Broncos in the Redzone and also going for a 64 yard field goal (different if it was in Denver maybe).

I'd have gone for it on 4th and 5 instead.

Sort of game the Broncos had to win if they're gonna make the playoffs you'd think.

Seahawks top of the NFC West and Geno had a decent game.

Some really questionable play and decision-making towards the end. You don't pay a QB all that money to have him dump it to the checkdown in the flat or run middle screens every single time with the game on the line, and Russell missed Juedy wide-open across the middle on the 3rd down. Hackett looked rattled and not in control on Denver's final drive, and it's inexplicable how they only gained something like 20 yards with 2 minutes to play and all of their time-outs. That's the sort of nonsense that got Mike McCoy fired and there were shades of it throughout Anthony Lynn's time as Chargers HC as well. Fundamentally good coaches are on top of that shit whereas the disorganised, chaotic time management goes hand-in-hand with bad HC's.

The FG attempt looked very much like an 'aww we've fucked this' desperation move rather than a desired outcome. They lined up with something like 45 seconds remaining and all of their TO's, so there's no time issue at all with the prospect of moving the ball far closer to the Seattle EZ. Just amateurish, clownshoes stuff all around.