Week 1 (ITS BACK! 🏈)

lichtie23

3 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

He’s a p***k. Was a bawbag at the Patriots as a player and then was a complete bully when on Hard Knocks as the linebacker coach with the Texans

Yup, this.

Firmly in the Pete Carroll mould of 'if you were playing yourself I'd hope you'd both fucking lose' coaches.

5 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Ultimately, it's difficult to be unhappy after an opening day win against a Divisional rival, but f**k me that was far more of a laboured win than it needed to be. Only the Chargers can out-sack the opponent 6 to 0, not turn the ball over and create three turnovers of their own, and STILL end up playing a fucking arse-clencher inside the 2 minute warning.

Lots of improvement needed.

I thought both teams were miles off where they want to be.

As you said, the Chargers should have been miles out of sight, but it’s been a mark of the team for as long as I can remember that it plays down to the level of the opposition/the game. Early days of course this season, but there must be some alarm bells ringing that those kind of performances seem to have picked up where last season left off.

I thought the Raiders were pretty poor, and the worries about our OL have been proven to be justified. I get that we won’t face Bosa & Mack every week but that line looks appalling, and for all the nice weapons we’ve got, you need time to get them open. Carr was rubbish, and all of his picks were completely avoidable.

5 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I thought both teams were miles off where they want to be.

As you said, the Chargers should have been miles out of sight, but it’s been a mark of the team for as long as I can remember that it plays down to the level of the opposition/the game. Early days of course this season, but there must be some alarm bells ringing that those kind of performances seem to have picked up where last season left off.

I thought the Raiders were pretty poor, and the worries about our OL have been proven to be justified. I get that we won’t face Bosa & Mack every week but that line looks appalling, and for all the nice weapons we’ve got, you need time to get them open. Carr was rubbish, and all of his picks were completely avoidable.

I think he had a weird game. Adams was open all day and could easily have had 250+ yards, yet Carr only really threw three outright terrible passes and all three were picked off. If they'd just fallen incomplete the Raiders probably win that, so I don't think Carr didn't do enough to win, more that he was really unlucky that the mistakes he did make were fully punished. On both the 1st and 2nd INT the Chargers had screwed up and blown the coverage, but Carr simply underthrew the ball, so in reality those throws should have been +12 points to the Raiders with PAT's to come, but instead they resulted in 7 points to the Chargers. The sacks/fumbles I don't think he can be blamed for because he was clearly standing looking down the field, so that's on decent coverage and inadequate OL play, and yes, the right side of the LV line does look like an absolute mess. Miller is a decent OT, but he can't protect Carr all on his own, and as the Chargers found out last season you can have all-pro level play on the blindside, but if the entire strong side is a liability your QB is always going to be under duress.

I think the Raiders are still good enough to go at least .500 this year and perhaps even push for a WC, but I think that's their ceiling, they'll probably end up fighting over 3rd and 4th with Denver, and the Division fight should really be between KC as favourites, but pushed all the way by LAC provided LAC can stay relatively healthy and don't do the usual thing of blowing 3-4 wins every season by playing down to the level of garbage opponents. On todays showing they have a lot of cleaning up to do in order to achieve that, although part of that might be down to the fact that the starters didn't play at all in pre-season and there's bound to be a degree of rust. I though it was an odd gameplan from the Chargers on O especially though. Allen being out changes a lot of things, and Parham is a big part of the RZ offense, yet Mike Williams was only targeted once before late in the 4th and he dropped it, Ekeler didn't really look like his usual self, and Herbert didn't take any shots at hitting Guyton deep either. Gerald Everett already looks like an enormous improvement on Jared Cook as a weapon at TE though, and Pipkins looked relatively untroubled by Maxx Crosby compared to Norton being totally owned in week 18 last year.

Dolphins got the job done but it wasn't a great performance. Offensive line still looks questionable and Tua had a couple of dodgy throws, but we didn't allow any turnovers and made some key plays (4th and 7, lovely stuff), so can't really complain.Β