WoSFL Statement on Matches for Saturday 10th September

8 hours ago, wintonfan said:

what makes football special, motorsport carried on as normal this weekend including the stock car world final, 2 minutes silence at a appropriate time, i dont see football fans as any different. 

Football at SPFL level takes up a lot of police resource at the weekend  so the SFA probably took that into consideration with the authorities given the police presence in Edinburgh today for the arrival of  the queen's body it wouldn't surprise me if this was a massive factor. The WoSFL and South Challenge Cup Committee took the lead from the SFA on the decision and probably didn't have much of a discussion about it and always planned to take the lead from SFA. 

Whether we agree about it, it's all about being seen to do the right thing, so the lower leagues wouldn't want to be seen to do the "wrong thing" 

The big question  will be,  will  next weekends games go ahead? Country is a "National State of Mourning" and will be next weekend too, so would be odd to decide this weekend isn't ok but next week is

32 minutes ago, ibenji said:

Football at SPFL level takes up a lot of police resource at the weekend  so the SFA probably took that into consideration with the authorities given the police presence in Edinburgh today for the arrival of  the queen's body it wouldn't surprise me if this was a massive factor. The WoSFL and South Challenge Cup Committee took the lead from the SFA on the decision and probably didn't have much of a discussion about it and always planned to take the lead from SFA. 

Whether we agree about it, it's all about being seen to do the right thing, so the lower leagues wouldn't want to be seen to do the "wrong thing" 

The big question  will be,  will  next weekends games go ahead? Country is a "National State of Mourning" and will be next weekend too, so would be odd to decide this weekend isn't ok but next week is

If (and it’s a big if) one of the main reasons football was cancelled was down to policing resources, you would assume that will no longer be an issue come the weekend in Scotland.

And if that the case, it’s hard to justify any reason football should be called off. 

27 minutes ago, superpollok said:

If (and it’s a big if) one of the main reasons football was cancelled was down to policing resources, you would assume that will no longer be an issue come the weekend in Scotland.

And if that the case, it’s hard to justify any reason football should be called off. 

Yeah I'd assume so, but the line of "mark of respect" would seem to go against that if having games 2 days before the funeral. It's possible the SFA decide to sit it out as a mark of respect however the Tier 6 and below leagues will return

THE SPFL and SFA have invited Scottish football clubs to play the national anthem as fixtures resume as normal this week following the death of The Queen.

All matches across the country were postponed last weekend as a mark of respect following The Queen's passing on Thursday.

Scottish football governing bodies have now confirmed that matches will return as normal and clubs have been invited to pay their respects in a number of ways.

A statement said: "This week, as a mark of respect and in keeping with the period of National Mourning, home clubs may wish to hold a period of silence and/or play the National Anthem just ahead of kick-off, and players may wish to wear black armbands."

4 minutes ago, Satori. said:

THE SPFL and SFA have invited Scottish football clubs to play the national anthem as fixtures resume as normal this week following the death of The Queen.

All matches across the country were postponed last weekend as a mark of respect following The Queen's passing on Thursday.

Scottish football governing bodies have now confirmed that matches will return as normal and clubs have been invited to pay their respects in a number of ways.

A statement said: "This week, as a mark of respect and in keeping with the period of National Mourning, home clubs may wish to hold a period of silence and/or play the National Anthem just ahead of kick-off, and players may wish to wear black armbands."

So it's up to the clubs then?

Just now, jimbaxters said:

So it's up to the clubs then?

It's only an invite to do so mate ..  In Arthurlie's case I have already pointed out we are set to honour two of our deceased supporters with a minutes silence and presumably black armbands and I sincerely hope that goes ahead.  That should come before anything else.  If not there will be a few disgruntled friends and family of the two supporters.   As a compromise we could go with a silence for the two lads and the players could  wear armbands for whoever they choose.  Rock and a hard place for the club but I hope they make the correct decision. 

11 minutes ago, Satori. said:

It's only an invite to do so mate ..  In Arthurlie's case I have already pointed out we are set to honour two of our deceased supporters with a minutes silence and presumably black armbands and I sincerely hope that goes ahead.  That should come before anything else.  If not there will be a few disgruntled friends and family of the two supporters.   As a compromise we could go with a silence for the two lads and the players could  wear armbands for whoever they choose.  Rock and a hard place for the club but I hope they make the correct decision. 

Absolutely. The whole problem with this is that everyone feels duty bound to participate in this madness, regardless of how they feel about it. Watched the Italian GP yesterday and the 3rd placed driver was being interviewed and as he (and the interviewer) are British, it started with him being asked how emotional it had been for him this weekend after the news. I would love to have seen him say something like "I'm just pleased to have finished on the podium" or words to that effect but it seems everyone is worried about being the one to step out of line. Now this lad may have be a firm monarchist, just using this as a case in point. 

The same dilemma faces the clubs this weekend. If they don't want to commemorate it they should not feel obliged, especially having been forced into observing it via the postponements at the weekend.

Regardless, hope all goes well on Saturday for you guys. Supporters lives should always be celebrated. Again, would be surprised if they aren't at Dunterlie this week.

Edited by jimbaxters

9 hours ago, Satori. said:

I’d be really disappointed if my club played any such song before a game.