WoSFL Statement on Matches for Saturday 10th September

54 minutes ago, Talbot supporter said:

Not bitter or angry , we can still show respect with football on. I am sure majority of players would have been fine to play and supporters would still turn up. Cricket still on, Rugby on tonight and over the weekend and golf tomorrow and sunday, horse racing on the Sunday emoji848.png

Cricket and Rugby, different class of people who because of their station in life have choices. The lumpen proletariat on the other hand need kept in place. 

1 hour ago, RubyTuesday said:

It's one weekend with no football. Everyone take a breath. Go for a walk. Bake some bread. Watch a film. Speak to your family. In the grand scheme of things, this really doesn't matter. 

Honestly more than happy to let the cap doffers get on with their weirdo pageantry, and get on with my own life, but why force others to mourn? 

It's not so much that a match here and there is being postponed that's pissing people off, it's the notion that we should be gnashing our teeth, wailing and sitting in the tomb with pharaoh for ten days. Would not happen in a normal country.

1 hour ago, Talbot supporter said:
1 hour ago, RubyTuesday said:
It's one weekend with no football. Everyone take a breath. Go for a walk. Bake some bread. Watch a film. Speak to your family. In the grand scheme of things, this really doesn't matter. 

It's not going to be one weekend though is it ?

All the fuss will have died down then the games will get cancelled again for the Coronation.

7 minutes ago, coineanach said:

Honestly more than happy to let the cap doffers get on with their weirdo pageantry, and get on with my own life, but why force others to mourn? 

It's not so much that a match here and there is being postponed that's pissing people off, it's the notion that we should be gnashing our teeth, wailing and sitting in the tomb with pharaoh for ten days. Would not happen in a normal country.

That's it exactly - it's the lack of autonomy and agency we're being afforded in how we choose to mark the event.

Or indeed not to - I get the feeling the powers that be are slightly twitchy that the amount of people who left to their own devices would just shrug their shoulders, ignore the whole thing and get on with their lives would be more than they bargained for....#abolishthemonarchy isn't currently trending on Twitter for no reason....

Last I heard the SYFA games were going ahead tomorrow including the Scottish Cup so if you are looking for football that might be an option. 

I can't understand why clubs were not given the option to choose to play or not. 

My workplace didn't shut today (although for political reasons some things were scaled back) so why is football shutting tomorrow? Seems that the Scottish FA didn't want to take any flack from certain sections as the English games were all called off.

I am not a royalist but I admired the Queen's public service but you should be able to go about your business however you choose how or if you want to show respect for the passing of someone, be it a family member, friend or public figure you can choose that too.

Poor decision by the authorities including the West of Scotland League who should be asked why they came to this decision by the clubs.

PS not all football was cancelled when King George V passed away.

44 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Tbf it's probably the last time this will happen in most of our lifetimes.

King Charles doesn't have the same amount of followers out there even among royalists.

Who knows, next time we might even be living in a separate country.

He is not a Twitter account. It will be exactly they same 

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

To be fair, I'd be looking for excuses to avoid the football if it meant going back to Meadowbank after the arse they made of doing the place up.

Genuine lolz at that one.

1 hour ago, Lurcer said:

Some guy this week said his football was his religion. I think it’s more important than that. 

I mean for some people its their only social outing for the week/fortnight. If some people choose to miss the game to go lay flowers down somewhere then batter in. 

15 minutes ago, glensmad said:

The WoSFL only cancelled 4 scheduled league matches this weekend,  two in the Second Division and two in the Third Division. The decision to cancel the South Region Challenge Cup ties was not made by the WoSFL.

What kind of statement is that pal? If the cup was under your jurisdiction it too would have been cancelled. 

8 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

What kind of statement is that pal? If the cup was under your jurisdiction it too would have been cancelled. 

A factual one. The decision to cancel the four league games was taken after the South Region Challenge Cup Secretary had informed all the competing clubs that the cup ties were all postponed. 

17 minutes ago, glensmad said:

A factual one. The decision to cancel the four league games was taken after the South Region Challenge Cup Secretary had informed all the competing clubs that the cup ties were all postponed. 

I am sure if there was a loophole to get the games on, you would have found it. .  Seems to be your forte.  

1 hour ago, glensmad said:

The WoSFL only cancelled 4 scheduled league matches this weekend,  two in the Second Division and two in the Third Division. The decision to cancel the South Region Challenge Cup ties was not made by the WoSFL.

Still 4 too many isn't it.