So will the football be off this weekend?

That would be overkill.

You were concerned earlier about the potential for St Mirren fans not getting their chance to pay respect. Does that not imply that you think there should be a silence at every ground in the country? That would take most clubs to 2, if not 3, and that's before you include the ones that each of the clubs in Europe (maybe not Celtic) will have in midweek. Hearts have already sort of had one too.

The eyes of the world will be on Scottish football next weekend, let's not let ourselves down.

Hope the United lads have something planned for next Saturday. St Mirren v Celtic will be essential viewing.

I'm also hoping for Helen Lovejoy statements from clubs in the run up imploring fans not to disrespect the silence.

24 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

Out of curiosity which of her abilities, qualities, or achievements is it that elicit such a feeling of deep admiration for you?

I personally can't think of any, and I wouldn't go out of my way interupt anybodys* silence but thats just common courtesy.

My 2

*Thatcher doesn't count

The respect is what I would show to most people who have died. Whether it be the Queen or some fan that has died where we are asked to respect by giving a minute’s applause with most folk having no knowledge of what sort of person they were. As you say, common courtesy.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

In all seriousness, the coffin is passing through Aberdeen tomorrow. Is that not ample opportunity for a public show of respect? 

For anyone who wants to go along it will be. Aberdeen won’t be having any minute’s silence at any of their matches anyway.

27 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

One of the governing parties of the country isn't mainstream?

They are a governing party in Scotland by invitation not representation.  Regardless, governing Scotland has absolutely no bearing on the monarchy and I'm not sure that getting less than 3% of the vote in a general election could be in anyway considered mainstream.

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

You were concerned earlier about the potential for St Mirren fans not getting their chance to pay respect. Does that not imply that you think there should be a silence at every ground in the country? That would take most clubs to 2, if not 3, and that's before you include the ones that each of the clubs in Europe (maybe not Celtic) will have in midweek. Hearts have already sort of had one too.

You’re being very literal today. For this weekend only for me.

4 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You’d be right. As someone else coined it, all I’m going on about is common courtesy.

We’re discussing a corrupt, undemocratic, outdated hereditary system that has no place in a modern democracy.  No part of it deserves any courtesy.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

So given that the St Mirren fans may only get one opportunity to pay their respect by observing a minute’s silence in public, that should be denied to them because of a bunch of Scottish would-be Irish Nationalists?

Games were called off today as a mark of 'respect'. Is that not enough?

26 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

The respect is what I would show to most people who have died. Whether it be the Queen or some fan that has died where we are asked to respect by giving a minute’s applause with most folk having no knowledge of what sort of person they were. As you say, common courtesy.

Except we know quite a bit about the queen and it points to a rather unsavoury figure who is not even remotely deserving of any 'respect'.

The media line is that we are all mourning the loss of the queen and the entire country is United with grief. Let's be honest, if the football had been on that illusion would have been massively shattered, and not just at Parkhead, Pittodrie and Anfeild. It's not a mark of respect to cancel the games, it's a move to suppress disrespect. Fucking cowardly one at that.

The games should have happened. If the thought was that it would be too much for the sensibilities of certain people to hear folk booing a minutes silence, then don't have the minutes silence.

Just now, GAD said:

The media line is that we are all mourning the loss of the queen and the entire country is United with grief. Let's be honest, if the football had been on that illusion would have been massively shattered, and not just at Parkhead, Pittodrie and Anfeild. It's not a mark of respect to cancel the games, it's a move to suppress disrespect. Fucking cowardly one at that.

The games should have happened. If the thought was that it would be too much for the sensibilities of certain people to hear folk booing a minutes silence, then don't have the minutes silence.

St Mirren fan in favour of booing shocker. 

34 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I understand what you are getting at but to me common courtsey and respect are very different things and therfor I avoid conflating the two.