So will the football be off this weekend?

4 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

So given that the St Mirren fans may only get one opportunity to pay their respect by observing a minute’s silence in public, that should be denied to them because of a bunch of Scottish would-be Irish Nationalists?

Surely if there are any St Mirren fans who are desperate to pay their respect by observing a minute's silence in public they could seek out another event at which to do that. I'm sure there will be plenty of memorial services and the like they can attend if they want to.

Really struggling to see who this mythical cohort of St Mirren fans are who really, really want to pay respect to the queen to the point of feeling robbed if they can't do it but also can't possibly do it at any other time than before the St Mirren vs Celtic match.

10 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

So given that the St Mirren fans may only get one opportunity to pay their respect by observing a minute’s silence in public, that should be denied to them because of a bunch of Scottish would-be Irish Nationalists?

Only one opportunity?

Why are they banned from doing it at home or attending one of the official public events?

Is a football stadium really the only chance they’ll get to do it?

Maybe they shouldn’t attend the game if it’s that important 

4 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I totally disagree. 

There’s loads of ways you could do it outside a football ground. 

If the st Mirren fans wanted they could create a banner or tifo or whatever which would be a public display. A silence needs to be collectively respected and desired. It’s quite clear that can’t be guaranteed. I don’t see why a group of st Mirren fans wanting to pay respect requires the silence of the entire stadium. 

I hate these very public displays of grief anyway but the fact is this is an intensely political issue for some people and it’s an accident waiting to happen. I’m not a total dick so I wouldn’t interrupt one but I’d be staying in the pub an extra 10 minutes to avoid it as I want no part of it. 

13 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Why are they banned from doing it at home or attending one of the official public events?

Is a football stadium really the only chance they’ll get to do it?

Perhaps you should be asking similar questions of the hordes of Celtic supporters who fire imaginary guns at opposition fans, regardless of whether the Celtic fans may consider themselves to be mimicking freedom fighters or terrorists.

Edited by Squonk

Does anyone on here, putting their sensible head on, and putting aside whether or not they personally want a minute’s silence, really believe that there is a hope in hell of one not being held at all professional football matches next weekend?

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Does anyone on here, putting their sensible head on, and putting aside whether or not they personally want a minute’s silence, really believe that there is a hope in hell of one not being held at all professional football matches next weekend?

I reckon most top flight football clubs will end up observing at least 3

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Obviously there will be one if the games go ahead. But I’m quite strongly against it and would not be there.

Other, less mild mannered people then myself, will try and disrupt it. Not just Celtic fans either.  

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Obviously there will be one if the games go ahead. But I’m quite strongly against it and would not be there.

Other, less mild mannered people then myself, will try and disrupt it. Not just Celtic fans either.  

If we’d played the **** today I’m sure plenty of our fans would’ve disrupted it, to wind up & annoy the h**s.

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Pretty much my feelings on it. 

I will be at a Dons game if it is on next week and sill be either outside in the queue (never make kick off usually at Easter Road) or under the stand and will not take part in any minutes silence. Others I suspect might go for disrupting it as their form of protest. 

Edited by Jute

16 minutes ago, Squonk said:

Perhaps you should be asking similar questions of the hordes of Celtic supporters who fire imaginary guns at opposition fans, regardless of whether the Celtic fans may consider themselves to be mimicking freedom fighters or terrorists.

Well… well well..

If it isn’t our old friend whataboutery 

I did not expect you to make an appearance 

33 minutes ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

Surely if there are any St Mirren fans who are desperate to pay their respect by observing a minute's silence in public they could seek out another event at which to do that. I'm sure there will be plenty of memorial services and the like they can attend if they want to.

Really struggling to see who this mythical cohort of St Mirren fans are who really, really want to pay respect to the queen to the point of feeling robbed if they can't do it but also can't possibly do it at any other time than before the St Mirren vs Celtic match.

A mythical cohort of St Mirren fans. I like it. Can we have that as our official collective noun? In regard to St Mirren fans and Queeny passing, pretty sure our support will cover every base. Some will be happy enough we have a monarchy and will have liked the Queen. Some will be dead against the monarchy and as such couldn’t give a fcuk. Some will be against the monarchy, but not her personally…. and, and, and… exactly like the fans of every diddy club. Just a bunch of blokes and lassies with wildly varying views on all sorts, only bound together by our choice of fitba’ team.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

to show some respect, of which you have none, to the Queen of our country for the past 70 years.

Out of curiosity which of her abilities, qualities, or achievements is it that elicit such a feeling of deep admiration for you?

I personally can't think of any, and I wouldn't go out of my way interupt anybodys* silence but thats just common courtesy.

My 2

*Thatcher doesn't count

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

You’ll probably find that most public gatherings in the UK will be (attempting) to observe a minute’s silence in the next week, to show some respect, of which you have none, to the Queen of our country for the past 70 years. I think you will find that a football match will be considered a public gathering. 

Didn’t take you for a royalist apologist.