So will the football be off this weekend?

10 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Again though, why is this different from the other jokes and piss taking when someone famous dies? Why is this 'the line'?

I think it's fairly poor taste to make jokes and take the piss of the deceased regardless, unless it's something they themselves would have enjoyed of course.

That's generally where I am with this, but I think football being cancelled as a result is a massive meltdown. I was going to say that part of the general covenant of the monarchy in this country is so long as they don't get involved there's generally not much commotion, albeit this might be a good time to abolish it. So with football being cancelled I thought that's out of line, but then with it being the football authorities themselves that made the decision, well yeah, definitely a meltdown.   

22 hours ago, welldaft said:

Basically if you are not a Tory Hating Independence supporter you do not (in the main) fit on this board. That is clear for all to see. If you dare to have alternative views you are red dotted all over the place.

About this too. My personal politics are to the left of the bulk of this site's users so I get downvoted by the wee angry guys most times I post any political opinion. Case in point, my post above there already has one. It's worth noting there's next to no mainstream media representation of my views. Contrast that with the Queen currently being on every advertising billboard and neoliberal economics having dominated for 5 decades now. With that context, right wingers facing pushback on this tiny corner of the internet is not something you should be worrying about.

7 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

About this too. My personal politics are to the left of the bulk of this site's users so I get downvoted by the wee angry guys most times I post any political opinion. Case in point, my post above there already has one. It's worth noting there's next to no mainstream media representation of my views. Contrast that with the Queen currently being on every advertising billboard and neoliberal economics having dominated for 5 decades now. With that context, right wingers facing pushback on this tiny corner of the internet is not something you should be worrying about.

I get generally that your views are not represented in the mainstream media, but I would suggest that your second last sentence risks conflating capitalism and monarchy. I'm pro state-intervention myself in a variety of cases, but at it's ideological best capitalism is a meritocracy, where-as inherited monarchy is I would suggest the direct opposite?

1 minute ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

I get generally that your views are not represented in the mainstream media, but I would suggest that your second last sentence risks conflating capitalism and monarchy. I'm pro state-intervention myself in a variety of cases, but at it's ideological best capitalism is a meritocracy, where-as inherited monarchy is I would suggest the direct opposite?

We need the fitba’ on. I can understand St Mirren going to Tynecastle and flattering to deceive, I don’t understand a lot of this. 😃

37 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

How can a minute's silence be seen to have been observed when a bunch of selfish b*****ds don't allow it to happen. Celtic fans are never in the wrong as far as you're concerned.

Then don’t have the silence at football.

Plenty of opportunities for you to hold one at the appropriate time

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

We need the fitba’ on. I can understand St Mirren going to Tynecastle and flattering to deceive, I don’t understand a lot of this. 😃

I know, doing a Saturday shift where I'd usually be listening to open all mics and I'd far rather be greeting about Hibs being crap or slating Ron Gordon. Suppose that's why we're all here in the first place. 

26 minutes ago, Girth said:

I’m avoiding all tv news and media outlets and I’m still absolutely raging at how this overkill is dominating everything.

Crocodile tears everywhere for a woman most people have never met. No wonder the rest of the world laughs at us. 

If you want to mourn her then fine. But don’t expect everyone to feel the same. 

Absolutely this ^^^^
I think those who are affected by her passing should be able to mourn without judgement however the media are manipulating the nation’s emotions. 
It’s like the world has stopped spinning and we are stuck on the same news cycle.

There are many things going on that effect people personally, cost of living rises, fuel costs etc yet the media would have you believe these all faded away because HRH has passed.

On a personal note, I lost my Mum in the week leading up to Christmas last year but with 2 small boys, I had to make sure they still had a great Christmas, I didn’t even consider canceling Christmas, life had to go on.

1 hour ago, Hibee_Hibernian said:

It’s already happened at Tynecastle the other night. The reality is that there will be a number of games up here where the silence is disrupted to varying degrees

Yeah I didn’t know that had happened. I am obviously wrong and was wrong with my presuppositions about how supports would react.

Edited by Swordfishtrombone
Spelling

25 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Now I know you're on the wind-up.

I don’t think it’s a given that you hold a silence. 

Given that a silence is only successful if it’s respected, it goes without saying that you would want to assess whether the crowd buy into it and want to engage. 

8 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Not at all

Why should a football game be used for a silence for her?

You’ll probably find that most public gatherings in the UK will be (attempting) to observe a minute’s silence in the next week, to show some respect, of which you have none, to the Queen of our country for the past 70 years. I think you will find that a football match will be considered a public gathering. 

Just now, kingjoey said:

You’ll probably find that most public gatherings in the UK will be (attempting) to observe a minute’s silence in the next week, to show some respect, of which you have none, to the Queen of our country for the past 70 years. I think you will find that a football match will be considered a public gathering. 

“Show some respect”

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Spoiler

image.gif.0ffe4fb220e23af7eb4c96a41aed46bc.gif

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don’t think it’s a given that you hold a silence. 

Given that a silence is only successful if it’s respected, it goes without saying that you would want to assess whether the crowd buy into it and want to engage. 

So given that the St Mirren fans may only get one opportunity to pay their respect by observing a minute’s silence in public, that should be denied to them because of a bunch of Scottish would-be Irish Nationalists?

So given that the St Mirren fans may only get one opportunity to pay their respect by observing a minute’s silence in public, that should be denied to them because of a bunch of Scottish would-be Irish Nationalists?

St Mirren fans can pay respect any time they want, if it means so much to them. I personally wouldn't disrupt a silence, but if I was the person responsible then I wouldn't hold one either.

The queen has no relevance to Scottish football, and silences should be reserved for people who are important to a particular club or the game as a whole - as soon as you start holding them for everyone under the sun you start to take away their significance.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

St Mirren fans can pay respect any time they want, if it means so much to them. I personally wouldn't disrupt a silence, but if I was the person responsible then I wouldn't hold one either.

The queen has no relevance to Scottish football, and silences should be reserved for people who are important to a particular club or the game as a whole - as soon as you start holding them for everyone under the sun you start to take away their significance.

“Everyone under the sun”

People who want to stand in silence, either at a football match or at another event, will have the opportunity to do so. People who want to do something else are also free to do so, as is their want. That is just basic freedom of expression.