So will the football be off this weekend?

1 minute ago, Swello said:

They are definitely not pro-football - but they might keep games on just to enjoy the massive backlash from the sort of people who have twitter handles like WeeNippyHater_1690

They're also the kind that post "I'm not racist but"

If the Gov were in touch with the population, especially those interested in football, they'd say go ahead. 

Issue here is gov's are not known to be in touch with societies views. 

For what it's worth I don't think the Scottish Gov will get involved at all. "It's up to you to decide" I reckon they'll say to the SPFL etc.

17 minutes ago, AngusTheBull said:

Is there any precedence for what would happen if they refused to play and every other game was going ahead?

I suspect that rather than hand us a 3-0 win the SPFL would bend over and do whatever they want.

Someone else pointed me in the direction of this account of the Belarus international that was delayed 24 hours to avoid clashing with the Diana funeral.

I knew some of the story, but not this part:

Belarus were prepared to move the kick-off back a few hours but that idea was blown out of the water when the Rangers players in the squad - Ally McCoist, Gordon Durie and Andy Goram - told Craig Brown they would not play on the Saturday at any time.

https://www.scottishsporthistory.com/sports-history-news-and-blog/archives/08-2017

3 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Yet we can all manage to make it to our work.

Load of pish. 

It reminds me of covid, Mon - Friday the virus didn't count when you had to board a crowded train and work in a crowded office, however at the weekends it was "just too risky" to mix with people or have any sort of enjoyment.

As you say, this country is just a total screw up !!

9 minutes ago, O_Kahn said:

Someone else pointed me in the direction of this account of the Belarus international that was delayed 24 hours to avoid clashing with the Diana funeral.

Belarus were prepared to move the kick-off back a few hours but that idea was blown out of the water when the Rangers players in the squad - Ally McCoist, Gordon Durie and Andy Goram - told Craig Brown they would not play on the Saturday at any time.

https://www.scottishsporthistory.com/sports-history-news-and-blog/archives/08-2017

Thanks for that, interesting article.

Shouldn't be surprised given who it was, but imagine being this pathetic and craven over a game of football going ahead on the scheduled date.

"Even though a halt had been called to referendum campaigning that week because of the tragedy, he seized the opportunity to point out, 'this is what happens when Scots try to run their own affairs'"

7 minutes ago, O_Kahn said:

You mean the warm, cuddly, loveable, cheeky chappie Ally that was brought up on 60/70/80's Rangers and was DEMANDING their songs and traditions had to be saved when they died is as staunch as they come? I for one am shocked and stunned. Still, he's funny so we'll just overlook him being a raging bigot...

The thing that mystifies me here is that, outside national broadcasters, the world is continuing as normal. Every shop is open except the bookies. Leisure centres are open, bins are being collected. Why is it that organised sport should carry the mourning burden for the nation? 

If you want to mourn, mourn. If you want to mourn but you're due at your work, it doesn't seem as though there are exemptions. 

People should make their own decisions on whether they attend events or not. Cancelling stuff when the rest of the economy is cracking on is daft. Either all shut or all open. 

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Don't know if this has been posted but utterly unbelievable,

“A determination regarding the remainder of this weekend’s scheduled fixtures will be made following a review of the official mourning guidance"

Is there official afternoon guidance as well?

Spoiler

dabumtss-joke.gif

16 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Up here Queen's Park asked for a postponement but Hearts refused and SFA said play... in the end a snowstorm put the game off. It appears the only cancellation was Renton v Vale of Leven in Dunbartonshire Cup.

Little midweek football then but a Scottish Cup replay was played at Dundee Wands.

Funeral was Saturday 2nd Feb 1901: all football off, including Scotland v Ireland.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Some people presumably taking time off work to mourn at home watching the BBC, or stand in the rain and lay flowers. Human nature and the human mind works in different ways, we don't all process the same and cant just mourn on demand no matter what the media or state tell us - some feel grief immediately, other hours later for some it could be days r weeks then there's the others where it wont be until 20th Nov probably lasting 4 weeks. In times of mental health struggles I really hope employers are as supportive for those with delayed emotions.