So will the football be off this weekend?

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'm no defender of the behaviour of Celtic and Liverpool fans, but the idea that it's only them who won't be able to behave themselves was blown out of the water by the Hearts fans about half an hour after her death was announced.

100% agree. I think the litmus test will be tomorrow night and unless they run with a minutes applause itā€™s all going to go pear shaped for the football authorities and our games will be off at the weekend.

Ā 

I could quite easily envisage some booing/ dissent Ā taking place at Fir Park and indeed most grounds in Scotland . PR disaster when the media are still in full on Royal Deeside / Wootton Bassett mode.

I've been a republican (with a small "R") for over 40 years now; not that I think the Windsor's are bad people but because I think the world has moved on and would prefer something more aligned to the French system personally. That being said I've lived through the reign of Elizabeth R since the 50's to the present day; like most of us I've known no other.Ā 

When I was born we still had the remains of an Empire and even at school we were taught how proud be should be of the British Empire bringing civilization to the rest of the world (yes; yes; I know).

As the Empire broke up there was a huge period of uncertainty whether we would have a good relationship with our previous "subjects" or not (where we had previously been the "masters"). To my eternal shame I do recall telling a lad from East Africa (Tanzania) how better off his country was under British colonial control rather than under the German tyranny which it had been prior to the first world war. He just adopted a polite conciliatory tone rather than ask me what the hell I was talking about. That was indicative of the public view of the time we had a gawd awful conceit about us even through into the 70's.

Many of our prime ministers seemed devoted to making things worse; the like of Eden and the Suez crisis were the tip of the iceberg; I remember examples like the various Arab royal families visiting London; ostensively to visit Harold Wilson or Heath or McMillan; but spending more time with the Queen learnings diplomacy and protocol from someone who'd had it drilled into her virtually her whole life.

A huge amount of business was also done off the back off the Royal Yacht Britannia and its various official visits overseas. Even after the country joined the Common Market such deals did not slow down. Even as this changed to the European Union and various prime ministers like Thatcher did her best to upset the likes of the French; the monarch remained a constant leveller.

I feel there have been a lot of potential conflicts that have been avoided throughout the ex-empire but the monarchs actual existence and the commonwealth is probably the best legacy of that.

I personally feel that Elizabeth R did an immense lot for us; a job that few would really have chosen; life under the microscope; every day a target for any disgruntled loony with the opportunity. Even death is not a private matter. For that reason I will respect her passing as much as I respect those who feel some form of personal loss. I will also honour a minutes silence if required.

I do however find the need to televise a car doing 25 mph down the A90 a bit odd; if I want to do that I'll drive up to Aberdeen on Christmas Eve.

That being said the world has changed and we (as in the people of the British Isles) are no longer the great world power we were. Do we have a place on the world stage; undoubtedly yes; but are we one of the five world leaders? Is a monarchy still relevant? Well with so many of our Caribbean friends now ditching the monarchy; the last real role of head of the commonwealth is also in doubt.

Anyway RIP ER

Ā 

1 hour ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Agree completely with this train of thought. This is all about suppressing the possibility of ā€œdisrespectā€Ā 

I suspect if there is any noticeable dissent at Anfield or the Etihad tomorrow night ( canā€™t Ā envisage any at Ibrox or Stamford Bridge on Wednesday Ā šŸ˜‚) then the powers that be will bin the football card for next weekend and use Police resources as an excuse .

Ā 

i donā€™t really know the sympathies of the Liverpool or Man City supports in general when it comes to the monarchy. Are they likely to boo a minutes silence ? Might we see a minutes applause being trotted out?

Liverpool booed a (living) Royal very recently didn't they?Ā 

Man City fans like Royal families that buy them fancy players. Don't think ours have bought them any.Ā