So will the football be off this weekend?

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Because it’s weird. Watch the news for 10-15 minutes and it is utterly bizarre. Totally detached from reality. 

Probably a mix of being north of the border and from a younger generation.

I suspect the news wouldn't be like it is if there's not millions of people in the UK mourning this (not that I really understand why either tbh).  It's just the way it is for many in the UK. 

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Because it’s weird. Watch the news for 10-15 minutes and it is utterly bizarre. Totally detached from reality. 

Every digital billboard in the country is set to a picture of our head of state, it’s really fucking weird 

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

Here's the thing though, I have no interest whatsoever in the Queen or any other Royals, same as I don't have any interest in anyone else that dies that I don't know.

It's not being disrespectful and I don't wish them any ill will, it's simply that I don't care.

Am I alone in this ??

Surely you could take 60 seconds before a game to show respect, as you would do for any minutes silence at any game any time even for someone you didn’t know personally.

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I was seething this morning with shite on the radio but it's actually turned out not too bad. Absolute have played music all morning with no ads, talking or news (save to remind us the old dear is deid on the hour). Music a little on the sombre side but perking up this afternoon.

I discovered Smooth Chill during lockdown. No DJs, no news, no ads. Bliss. They've since added a few ads just before the hour but it's still a great haven compared to the other stations with their compulsory depression interludes. Can't beat Spotify Radio and playlists for a total reality escape though.

I'm at home today and have discovered Clubland TV is playing nothing but chilled/low key stuff with no ads which is actually quite decent. It sums up the farce of things though by it showing Clubland videos all day with announcements saying they're not playing their usual programmes because of Lizzie's death, which would be showing Clubland videos all day. Must make sense to some suit I suppose.

Just now, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

Surely you could take 60 seconds before a game to show respect, as you would do for any minutes silence at any game any time even for someone you didn’t know personally.

Yes, but the reality is that if I don't know them then my heart really isn't in it which shouldn't be a surprise but it's the fact that we're having this forced mourning thrust upon us all that just beggars belief as far as I'm concerned.

Being honest, I'd be shocked if the Queen herself would have wanted this but all the hangers on and folk who can't think for themselves are in control of the situation unfortunately.

What a screwed up country.......

3 minutes ago, Orbix said:

Every digital billboard in the country is set to a picture of our head of state, it’s really fucking weird 

The Capitals about to go mental up the high street over the weekend I would imagine.  Was up earlier police everywhere and roads closed galore. 

It's quite amusing as the ECB have issued a statement saying they are going to "carry on" as "a mark of respect".

So why could we not have done that ??

and

Huddersfield vs Salford play-off to be played on Saturday

At statement from Rugby League’s Super League reads:

“Following the publication of the National Mourning Guidance, and consultation with Government, other sports and Rugby League stakeholders including clubs and broadcasters, Super League can confirm that the Betfred Super League Eliminator between Huddersfield Giants and Salford Red Devils will be played as scheduled on Saturday 10th September (kick off 1pm).

“Due respect will be paid to Her Majesty before both Eliminator fixtures, with a period of silence and where possible the playing of the National Anthem – while players and match officials will be asked to wear black armbands.”

Edited by WATTOO

Football expected to be postponed next weekend too

More murmurings that the Premier League is readying to postpone next weekend’s fixtures as well.

There was a suggestion during this morning’s talks that there shouldn’t be are matches directly preceding the State Funeral which is expected to be on Monday 19th September.

All football in Wales off completing home nations. Boxing also cancelled.

Rugby union and league in England continue, but games tonight now tomorrow.

All cricket continues tomorrow.

Horse racing resumes Sunday.

Ice Hockey and Great North Run continue, and PGA Championship golf resumes "at some stage over the weekend".

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tay FM has spent the entire day playing depressing songs (Angels by Robbie William has 3 plays so far), no adverts, and no news updates beyond whats happening with the royal family.

The whole country is literally being forced to be sad for absolutely no reason.

Football returning after covid helped show how important the experience is for many with depression etc., chance to spend time with friends/family, blow off steam etc

Theres absolutely people with depression being pounded with 24hr "be upset!" coverage and have had their weekend escape stolen from them, all because a rich 96yo died peacefully surrounded by family and we've all to be upset.

Nobody is forcing anyone to be sad.

Whether you like it or not the Queen has been our Monarch for most if not all of our lives. To some (especially in Scotland and on this Board) they could not care less. Fine. But for others they will acknowledge this is more than just a 96 year old lady passing away. 

Despite how I come across I am not a royalist and dislike a fair few of them. But the Queen never asked to be born into the Royal family. She did her best to represent the UK during her 70 year reign. She absolutely loved Scotland and thankfully there are many north of the border that appreciate that. I do. 

The next two weeks will be a tough watch. Certainly I hope next weekend fixtures go ahead, assuming the funeral is into the following week as anticipated. 

Scottish Racing cancelled on Sunday as "mark of respect" but English Racing given go -ahead !!

Horse racing postponed on Saturday

The British Horseracing Authority have announced that meetings scheduled for Saturday have also been cancelled but will resume on Sunday 11th. In a press release they announced:

“British racing remains in mourning today regarding the death of Her Majesty The Queen.

“As an ongoing mark of respect it has been determined that, alongside the cancellation of fixtures on 8th and 9th September, all racing will also be cancelled tomorrow, Saturday 10th September. Scheduled fixtures and racing events will return on Sunday 11th September.

“An additional day of racing at Doncaster will also be scheduled for Sunday 11th September, to ensure that the Cazoo St Leger and other important races lost as result of the cancellations can take place.

“However, the fixture scheduled for Musselburgh racecourse on Sunday will be cancelled as a mark of respect for the fact that the Queen’s body will be lying in rest in Edinburgh.”

So basically all the middle class sports should continue as planned but the working class sports should be shelved.

Can anyone explain why this should be ???

2 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Whether you like it or not the Queen has been our Monarch for most if not all of our lives. To some (especially in Scotland and on this Board) they could not care less. Fine. But for others they will acknowledge this is more than just a 96 year old lady passing away. 

Despite how I come across I am not a royalist and dislike a fair few of them. But the Queen never asked to be born into the Royal family. She did her best to represent the UK during her 70 year reign. She absolutely loved Scotland and thankfully there are many north of the border that appreciate that. I do. 

The next two weeks will be a tough watch. Certainly I hope next weekend fixtures go ahead, assuming the funeral is into the following week as anticipated. 

Who knew that Nicholas Witchell was on this forum?

GTF with your subservient pish. 

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

Ive been at work since half 8.

I either work the entire time in silence, which would drive me insane, or listen to the radio, which is literally only playing sad songs. I cant wear earphones and cant stream music.

What do you suggest i do to avoid that? Quit my job? 

Sadness is being forced upon me, as to avoid it ive to either drastically change my day or risk losing my job.

It was always going to happen. 

Clan outraged must be appeased. 

Thankfully the ACU have applied common sense and the BSB meeting at Snetterton is taking place. 

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ive been at work since half 8.

I either work the entire time in silence, which would drive me insane, or listen to the radio, which is literally only playing sad songs. I cant wear earphones and cant stream music.

What do you suggest i do to avoid that? Quit my job? 

Sadness is being forced upon me, as to avoid it ive to either drastically change my day or risk losing my job.

I don't listen to the radio in my office but I can hear it from the general office. It was Radio 2 and at half nine one of the girls in the office got up, said "f**k this" and papped it off. Had to chuckle at such a mild mannered person losing the plot after only an hour but it really was depressing.