So will the football be off this weekend?

32 minutes ago, Swello said:

I would have thought that if they really wanted some proper performative mourning, letting the games go ahead across the UK and having lengthy montages of silent football grounds, players heads bowed, tasteful pictures of the Queen on the big scoreboards, etc for the 10 o'clock news would fit the bill quite nicely. 

It appears they do prefer that; certainly beyond immediate timeframe. Seemingly their own advice doesn't extend to cancelling all events, and simply calls for minutes silences, black armbands etc.

Guardian and Times report "the palace is not keen to have a lengthy period without fixtures or events" and "Buckingham Palace do not wish for a long period without sporting fixtures" respectively.

It's organisations themselves cancelling events - from tomorrow probably with the advice and encouragement of the various governments.

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

The whole thing doesn't stand any scrutiny - it comes from an era of deference where everything would shut - now it's highly selective where sport for some bizarre reason is treated differently from everything else. 

Does it?

Games which would have proceeded in 1952 are being cancelled in 2022.

'Tour of Britain' abandoned.

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Decision on senior football in Scotland is due tomorrow - but the juniors (covering the North and Tayside areas at tiers 6+7 in pyramid) have gone early and cancelled all games.

Most senior leagues awaiting SFA + Scottish Government advice tomorrow. However the North Caledonian (covering the Highland area at tier 6) have now also gone early: cancelled all games this weekend - and next midweek.

For the ToB it will be operationally a nightmare with NEG and Police Motos, plus the race needs local authority support to run - so going on in these circumstances wouldn't exactly paint Isle of Wight Council (for example) in the best light.

They'll find a way to stick these stages into next year's race.

8 hours ago, Charles Stiles said:

The monarchy try to remain relevant by pretending they're in touch with we common riff-raff. Best way to do that is to let us have some enjoyment in these pretty miserable times. But they won't. They'll pile it on by giving us more time to think about how bad life is instead of letting us escape it. Fukc them and all who are associated with them. 

I agree with the sentiment but not really true in practice. 

If they didn’t impose this on us then they would lose relevance immediately. If it had been reported like any other news story then I’d have forgotten it by midday Saturday. 

That can’t be allowed, the people must be sad! 

On the football, I suspect it’ll be off. 

There may not be any rules to suggest it’ll be off but so much of modern society is about perception and image you want to put out there. 

I think calling games off will be deemed the ‘right’ thing to do (not sure who for but still) and we’ll be making other plans. 

9 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Me too.

We had a minibus of about 20 of us coming up from Stirling on the Saturday, staying the night in Aberdeen after the game and coming home Sunday lunchtime. 

When the funeral was arranged for Saturday and game put back to Sunday we augmented our plans to going up to Aberdeen teatime, night on the piss then home straight after the game. 

I was 20 year old at the time and, rather foolishly ripped the arse out it on the drink, ended up taking a young lady back to my room who was, shall we say no stranger to a sausage supper, whom my mates clocked doing the 'walk of shame' from the room Sunday morning and rather cruelly dubbed her 'Aberdeen Agnes' 🤦‍♂️😂

Made the game (just) but was in no fit state to be there, tragically and, some would say comically I was violently sick up the top tier of the Dick Donald stand approximately ten seconds into Diana's minutes silence 🤦‍♂️🤮

My only other recollection of the day was David Hopkins scoring a couple and drinking about three 2litre bottles of water on the bus back down to Stirling after the match.

A fitting tribute to the princess of Hearts I'd opine.

source.gif.81dc4ca57c2a35c2ade7cfa4b0b4bc5d.gif

5 hours ago, Stylish Kid said:

To be fair to the ToB organisers apparently a lot is to do with sudden lack of availability of police. I imagine that might stuff some matches too...

The lack of police argument doesn't really stand when they're cancelling amateur and kids football though.

All this does is reinforce how out of touch these reptiles are.

I don’t get why sport, particularly football, is always the fall guy when something like this happens. I don’t see cinemas, pubs, gyms, theatres etc, other stuff people enjoy,  shutting today and tomorrow. 

Does the decision go something along the lines of this - ‘Right, what thing does the majority of people enjoy the most in this country? Football, right let’s cancel that. People need to mourn for a few days.’

7 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

If Scottish football didnt shut down out of respect for Walter Smith, Tommy Burns or any of the other greats of our game when they passed away, it sure as shit shouldnt shut down when some 96 year old from England does

One Celtic, one Rangers* 

Do you work in the media? 

I strongly suspect it will be off this weekend but black armbands, flags at half mast and a minutes silence should be respectful enough.

If someone feels strongly about it that they need to mourn let them go to stand outside Holyrood Palace with a bunch of flowers but don’t force your views on me. 

I am sad that an old lady, loving mother and grandmother has passed on but no more so than if it was the lady that lives a few doors down from me.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

On the football, I suspect it’ll be off. 

There may not be any rules to suggest it’ll be off but so much of modern society is about perception and image you want to put out there. 

I think calling games off will be deemed the ‘right’ thing to do (not sure who for but still) and we’ll be making other plans. 

This is exactly what it's about.

The number of football fans who will be annoyed by it being called off is far lower than the number of moonhowling weirdos who will be complaining to everyone and anyone who will listen if it stays on

8 hours ago, glasgow-sheep said:
8 hours ago, welldaft said:
Get on with your bitterness you mean.  I am no royalist but I recognise the Queen dying is more than just an old lady.
Hate to break it to you but it will be going nowhere so I hope you stew in your rage which I suspect you will emoji482.png

Thankfully I'm off on holiday so will be away from all the nonsense for the next week

So what game are you likely to take in ?

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

f**k her, f**k the new one and f**k the whole elitist arrogant anachronistic bullshit.

Nothing should change, no armbands worn and no flags at half mast. She was not an example we should put forward as a positive one, she embodied the absolute opposite of meritocracy and privilage and the smooth brained idiots lapped that shit up for breakfast. f**k them too, I hope every single royalist is feeling utterly devastated.

See you at the funeral.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Do you mind if I don't sit next to you?

Best not to, maybe give it 300m or so.. ;)

I'll be honest, I actually expected her to die during the next indy ref, with her dying words being that "her kingdom" must stay together, and the sentiment would be enough to f**k any chance of independence. So in many ways her dying just after meeting Liz Truss, someone who was recorded in her fallow Lib Dem youth phase saying how much the Royal family should be abolished, certainly has an element of comedy to it.

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

Best not to, maybe give it 300m or so.. ;)

I'll be honest, I actually expected her to die during the next indy ref, with her dying words being that "her kingdom" must stay together, and the sentiment would be enough to f**k any chance of independence. So in many ways her dying just after meeting Liz Truss, someone who was recorded in her fallow Lib Dem youth phase saying how much the Royal family should be abolished, certainly has an element of comedy to it.

download (3).jpg