So will the football be off this weekend?

13 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Get on with your bitterness you mean.  I am no royalist but I recognise the Queen dying is more than just an old lady.

Hate to break it to you but it will be going nowhere so I hope you stew in your rage which I suspect you will 🍻

Deary me

Enjoy being glued to BBC news all weekend 

15 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Get on with your bitterness you mean.  I am no royalist but I recognise the Queen dying is more than just an old lady.

Hate to break it to you but it will be going nowhere so I hope you stew in your rage which I suspect you will 🍻

You have the most apt username on this forum. 

1 minute ago, Frank Grimes said:

Deary me

Enjoy being glued to BBC news all weekend 

I won’t be Frankie Boy.

Just enjoying a bunch of eejits getting bent out of shape for an 96 year old lady that passed away earlier today. Pathetic 

arsenal card GIF

41 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Do you really believe that "the monarchy" are behind the cancellation of anything this weekend? Do you think that King Charles III has been on the phone to the Match Secretary of Tayside Juniors?

Do you really believe that 'the monarchy' is just a handful of Windsors? 

3 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I won’t be Frankie Boy.

Just enjoying a bunch of eejits getting bent out of shape for an 96 year old lady that passed away earlier today. Pathetic 

arsenal card GIF

Amusingly this actually applies to the folk going mental and wanting games called off along with loads of other silly things, all in a forced spirit of 'mourning'.

I would have thought that if they really wanted some proper performative mourning, letting the games go ahead across the UK and having lengthy montages of silent football grounds, players heads bowed, tasteful pictures of the Queen on the big scoreboards, etc for the 10 o'clock news would fit the bill quite nicely. 

Otherwise everyone will just be in the (open) shops, (open) pubs, (open) cinemas or every other open business - or sitting in their pants in front of the TV listening to Nick Witchell's quavery wee voice..

The whole "the whole country mourns" thing is so out of touch its embarrassing. Next couple of weeks will be hell. 

It’s clearly a big fat lie/exaggeration being pushed by the media. They know a massive proportion of the population feel totally indifferent to this news but they’ll push the whole “a nation mourns” thing because it they want to ram Britishness and unity down our throats as much as possible.

2 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

Do I? Ok then. Thanks for letting me know.

You intimated in your original post that it was "the monarchy" who are behind everything being postponed, so as the Tayside Juniors were among the first to cancel their fixtures you must think that they were told to do that.

3 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

I hope the queen doesn’t come back claiming she never died and still has 55 titles.

It was the Company that died today, the club goes on, even after the sun has enveloped the Earth.  Which is the real problem.

The French and the Russians had the right idea.

5 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You intimated in your original post that it was "the monarchy" who are behind everything being postponed, so as the Tayside Juniors were among the first to cancel their fixtures you must think that they were told to do that.

Good grief. You're being serious.

Well obviously they did. As soon as Liz was confirmed dead they all went into the dining hall with a load of gin, tea and sandwiches, sat round the table to check what was happening tonight then started ringing round everyone to get them to cancel it. I know this for a fact as Edward told my aunt's bridge league to forget about it for tonight.

Of course there is an alternative, and this may seem a bit far fetched, but there could have been plans and procedures in place for decades to cover such circumstances. If in doubt, check Operation London Bridge, Vol 4327, Scottish Junior Football, subsection 183.iii, Tayside Juniors (1969-2006)

6 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

If we can ask Shakhtar to play while the invasion of Ukraine is ongoing 

I think we can ask Celtic and Hearts to keep the schedule

The whole thing doesn't stand any scrutiny - it comes from an era of deference where everything would shut - now it's highly selective where sport for some bizarre reason is treated differently from everything else. 

I mean - Odeon put a *really* shite banner on their website, so that means I can mourn the Queen's death by watching a mad rubber shark eat folk at a time of my choosing while enjoying a 6 quid tray of nachos.

jaws.thumb.png.92a67b9525123753fa5c29e29b51d940.png

If Scottish football didnt shut down out of respect for Walter Smith, Tommy Burns or any of the other greats of our game when they passed away, it sure as shit shouldnt shut down when some 96 year old from England does

Edited by Jacky1990

2 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

Good grief. You're being serious.

Well obviously they did. As soon as Liz was confirmed dead they all went into the dining hall with a load of gin, tea and sandwiches, sat round the table to check what was happening tonight then started ringing round everyone to get them to cancel it. I know this for a fact as Edward told my aunt's bridge league to forget about it for tonight.

Of course there is an alternative, and this may seem a bit far fetched, but there could have been plans and procedures in place for decades to cover such circumstances. If in doubt, check Operation London Bridge, Vol 4327, Scottish Junior Football, subsection 183.iii, Tayside Juniors (1969-2006)

Just did, and it doesn't say that. Ah ha.

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

The whole thing doesn't stand any scrutiny - it comes from an era of deference where everything would shut - now it's highly selective where sport for some bizarre reason is treated differently from everything else. 

I mean - Odeon put a *really* shite banner on their website, so that means I can mourn the Queen's death by watching a mad rubber shark eat folk at a time of my choosing while enjoying a 6 quid tray of nachos.

jaws.thumb.png.92a67b9525123753fa5c29e29b51d940.png

Don't think you'll get too many folk on here disagreeing with you, although the Rangers posters seem to have disappeared. Not many, if any, want the games to be postponed, we just know they will be.

10 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Don't think you'll get too many folk on here disagreeing with you, although the Rangers posters seem to have disappeared. Not many, if any, want the games to be postponed, we just know they will be.

Tbf, I’m a republican constitutionalist, but that week off could do a lot of good…