Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

3 hours ago, Antlion said:

Haven’t you heard? Nary a tourist has set foot in Edinburgh since it’s been dukeless. Because that’s the only reason tourists visit anywhere in the UK, isn’t it? Because it has royals?

Right?

Absolutely! I've left the house for the first time in ages purely on the basis that we are now a Dukedom.  The streets seem safer already. 

During the recent Channel Four hustings, all three candidates when asked about a future head of state, answered that they preferred Andy Murray over someone from the hereditary bloodline.

I'm not at all sure anyone pitching for First Minister would dare go there before Auld Lizzie shuffled off her mortal coil but now and just a few months into Chuckles' reign, I'm not aware that anyone is bothered that senior politicians (and Ash Regan) are openly ridiculing the monarch.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

What did the RoI do to annoy the French?

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

They're still banging on about Thierry Henry

Took an hour. Still, I suppose it is Friday...

16 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Have they actually scheduled a wee homecoming trip to Coburg?

BBC were hilarious last night, the reporter outside wherever old Chuck was speaking stating there could be German relatives there from his fathers side of the family,

Completely ignoring the slight Germanic links of his mothers side, that Saxe-Coburg-Gotha crew.

4 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

BBC were hilarious last night, the reporter outside wherever old Chuck was speaking stating there could be German relatives there from his fathers side of the family,

Completely ignoring the slight Germanic links of his mothers side, that Saxe-Coburg-Gotha crew.

You mean his great great great grandfather?

Yes, very slight Germanic links there.

I've more recent German ancestry than that.

12 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

You mean his great great great grandfather?

Yes, very slight Germanic links there.

I've more recent German ancestry than that.

But is your state-awarded job dependent on your great great great grandparents’ ancestry?

Remember to bow / curtsey and tug forelock before reading :-

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/ng-interactive/2023/apr/05/revealed-royals-took-more-than-1bn-income-from-controversial-estates-king-charles-queen-duchies-cornwall-lancaster

"King Charles and the late Queen Elizabeth II have received payments equivalent to more than £1bn from two land and property estates that are at the centre of a centuries-old debate over whether their profits should be given to the public instead."

• 2 weeks later...

I know that polls are not necessarily the most accurate reflections of the real world, but I was quite pleased by a yougov poll about the forthcoming coronation in terms of what is reported as Scotland's view. 

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/survey-results/daily/2023/04/13/b7aff/2

In response to "How likely are you to watch King Charles’ coronation and/or take part in celebrations surrounding it?", the Scottish figures are very likely+fairly likely 27% and not very likely+not at all likely 70%.

In response to "How much do you care about the forthcoming coronation of King Charles?", the Scottish figures are a great deal or a fair amount 20% and not very much or not at all, 80%. 

For results from other areas, feel free to use the link.

Maybe there's hope for Scotland yet. 

Tesco helpfully reminding us all of Charlie’s early love affair with the new queen. 

Charles: "Oh god. I'll just live inside your trousers or something. It would be much easier!"

Camilla: (Laughs.) "What are you going to turn into, a pair of knickers? Oh, you’re going to come back as a pair of knickers."

Charles: "Or, God forbid, a Tampax. Just my luck!" (Laughs.)

AF4B3D29-BDF7-4FBE-9502-2F357B53AF67.jpeg

Proclaimers removed from King's coronation playlist - BBC News

Perhaps a cross-post with the BBC Bias thread this, but very interesting language

The Proclaimers have been removed from an official King's coronation playlist after they were criticised for their anti-royal views.

Craig and Charlie Reid's hit I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) was featured alongside prominent UK artists.

Last year they agreed with a republican demonstrator who shouted during the proclamation of King Charles.

The BBC understands the song was removed by the UK government following complaints.