Jump to content

Monarchy debate/discussion


Richey Edwards
 Share

Recommended Posts

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/21/king-charles-architectural-politics-prince-profit-poundbury-paisley-perspectives

"King Charles is someone who wants to improve a society that he is not part of and will never truly experience or understand. He sees snapshots in visits and ribbon-cuttings but can never know the complexities of existing within an ordinary community and relying upon its infrastructure. He’ll never chat to a neighbour while hanging washing out to dry or sprint for the last night bus in the rain; he’ll never struggle to find an affordable nursery or worry about energy bills; he’ll never play, pray or party in the street. His view of society, as of architecture, is restricted to what can be seen from the tinted window of a chauffeured car."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/21/king-charles-architectural-politics-prince-profit-poundbury-paisley-perspectives

"King Charles is someone who wants to improve a society that he is not part of and will never truly experience or understand. He sees snapshots in visits and ribbon-cuttings but can never know the complexities of existing within an ordinary community and relying upon its infrastructure. He’ll never chat to a neighbour while hanging washing out to dry or sprint for the last night bus in the rain; he’ll never struggle to find an affordable nursery or worry about energy bills; he’ll never play, pray or party in the street. His view of society, as of architecture, is restricted to what can be seen from the tinted window of a chauffeured car."

Well that’s nonsense - didn’t you hear that when they stay in Balmoral they’re just locals; just regular neighbours; auld Lizzie in her wellies would routinely have a gab over the fence to Mrs Chalmers fae next door whilst they wur hingin’ oot the washin.

They said so on the BBC. A lot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coming up next: thoroughly modern feudal deference; thoroughly modern medieval tithes; thoroughly modern divine ordination; thoroughly modern slavery; thoroughly modern limited suffrage; thoroughly modern trial by combat.

All brought to you by our thoroughly modern hereditary crowned jester.

0A2B9E0D-E206-486C-A601-FF59F38583F2.jpeg

Edited by Antlion
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Private Eye Court Circular column was an interesting read - confirms Q Elizabeth II was out lbw for 96 at around 3pm with a 6.30 embargo on the news, and Brian might not mind some cost cutting provided it doesn't affect him. This has not softened my view from the normal island thread one bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/09/2022 at 01:09, Hoose Rice said:

Poor guy.  Hi

16 hours ago, Scorge said:

Private Eye Court Circular column was an interesting read - confirms Q Elizabeth II was out lbw for 96 at around 3pm with a 6.30 embargo on the news, and Brian might not mind some cost cutting provided it doesn't affect him. This has not softened my view from the normal island thread one bit.

 

Stomach cancer underlying but taken out be a stroke apparently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RH33 said:

Stomach cancer underlying but taken out be a stroke apparently.

This makes sense to me, as I suspected they've known for at least 6 months she was terminally ill. Charlie visited Balmoral back in late spring/early summer and was visibly upset when he left, so I thought right there and then they'd informed him she was on her way out. It also goes some way to explaining the ludicrous clamour to celebrate a 70th jubilee, an anniversary that normally passes without much fanfare, as they knew damned fine there wasn't a hope in hell of her making it to the more conventionally recognised 75th.

Edited by Boo Khaki
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

This makes sense to me, as I suspected they've known for at least 6 months she was terminally ill. Charlie visited Balmoral back in late spring/early summer and was visibly upset when he left, so I thought right there and then they'd informed him she was on her way out. It also goes some way to explaining the ludicrous clamour to celebrate a 70th jubilee, an anniversary that normally passes without much fanfare, as they knew damned fine there wasn't a hope in hell of her making it to the more conventionally recognised 75th.

If we get to chose how we go then I’m with Tyrion.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An acquaintance of mine chose to demonstrate his disapproval of kings and queens by having some tee-shirts printed with text reading:

MON

ARCH

AIC

Bit shite, I thought. Also, an unwelcome reminder of our disastrous 1978 World Cup campaign when, as I recall, Ally MacLeod's idea of in-game coaching involved beseeching Archie Gemmill to play better. "Come on Erchie" screeched the tactical genius.

scotland-football-manager-ally-macleod-h

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/09/2022 at 21:06, Scorge said:

Private Eye Court Circular column was an interesting read - confirms Q Elizabeth II was out lbw for 96 at around 3pm with a 6.30 embargo on the news, and Brian might not mind some cost cutting provided it doesn't affect him. This has not softened my view from the normal island thread one bit.

I told my wife at 12 o' clock she was dead (the Queen, not my wife), and they were just waiting for everyone to arrive before announcing it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

I told my wife at 12 o' clock she was dead (the Queen, not my wife), and they were just waiting for everyone to arrive before announcing it.

Probably posted this earlier in the thread, but on the morning that she kicked off (Brenda, not your wife), someone I know told me that he'd just got a text from his "in the know" daughter that he should keep an eye on the news that afternoon as something big was happening.

Dunno what the deal is exactly, but he says she's bound by the Official Secrets Act, yet still leaks like a sieve to her family.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, BFTD said:

Probably posted this earlier in the thread, but on the morning that she kicked off (Brenda, not your wife), someone I know told me that he'd just got a text from his "in the know" daughter that he should keep an eye on the news that afternoon as something big was happening.

Dunno what the deal is exactly, but he says she's bound by the Official Secrets Act, yet still leaks like a sieve to her family.

Story I heard from itk itk was dead at breakfast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Royal staff had a WhatsApp group including senior executives from the BBC, ITV and Sky News, which they used to control which footage could be used. Every five minutes a member of the royal household would send a message either approving or refusing the use of the previous block of video.

All future use of clips of the funeral are subject to veto by the Palace:


The BBC, ITV, and Sky News have been given until today to produce a 60-minute compilation of clips they would like to retain from ceremonial events during the 10 days of mourning for the Queen. The royal household will then consider whether to veto any proposed inclusions. Once this process is complete, the rights to show the vast majority of other footage from ceremonial events will then be taken out of circulation. Any news outlets wishing to use unapproved pieces of footage would have to apply to the royals on a case-by-case basis, even for material that has already been broadcast to tens of millions of Britons.

The lizards seem intent on controlling the narrative of the old bag’s interment. Totally normal behaviour. Totally normal state.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Antlion said:


Royal staff had a WhatsApp group including senior executives from the BBC, ITV and Sky News, which they used to control which footage could be used. Every five minutes a member of the royal household would send a message either approving or refusing the use of the previous block of video.

All future use of clips of the funeral are subject to veto by the Palace:


The BBC, ITV, and Sky News have been given until today to produce a 60-minute compilation of clips they would like to retain from ceremonial events during the 10 days of mourning for the Queen. The royal household will then consider whether to veto any proposed inclusions. Once this process is complete, the rights to show the vast majority of other footage from ceremonial events will then be taken out of circulation. Any news outlets wishing to use unapproved pieces of footage would have to apply to the royals on a case-by-case basis, even for material that has already been broadcast to tens of millions of Britons.

The lizards seem intent on controlling the narrative of the old bag’s interment. Totally normal behaviour. Totally normal state.

Seems stupid anyway. If I wanted to use a clip of the royal funeral procession against, say, the song "Oh what a circus" from Evita for satirical purposes I would just pay some fud 50 quid for mobile phone footage

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Seems stupid anyway. If I wanted to use a clip of the royal funeral procession against, say, the song "Oh what a circus" from Evita for satirical purposes I would just pay some fud 50 quid for mobile phone footage

We’ve all gone crazy

Mourning all day

And mourning all night

Falling over ourselves to get all

Of the misery right!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, btb said:

I see King Chuckles & his son are to stay away from Cop27 - committed environmentalists until it might affect the gravy train.

The suggestion is that Truss asked them to steer clear of it. 

No doubt to stop any embarrassments, like the PM contradicting the head of state or vice versa, or someone from Quadrilla accidentally giving His Royal Kingness an H&M bag packed full of used banknotes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, williemillersmoustache said:

The suggestion is that Truss asked them to steer clear of it. 

No doubt to stop any embarrassments, like the PM contradicting the head of state or vice versa, or someone from Quadrilla accidentally giving His Royal Kingness an H&M bag packed full of used banknotes. 

I saw that and understand how the system works and they'll not be the only ones who are green up until the point where it costs them just that I reserve the right to scoff the next time I see them being described as "committed to improving green issues" or similar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...