Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

There are two answers to that

1) hopefully as there will be a republic and there will be no kings or queens any more 

2) a Bairn born yesterday could outlive Prince George, the future George VII, and George might only have daughters as George VI did 

Or George might turn out to be like his grandpa's great uncle and the crown passes to his sister.

Re 2) firstborn becomes the heir regardless of gender is the rule now I think...

16 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
21 hours ago, hk blues said:
Some think not based on uhmmmmm...
Not sure who are the bigger crazies, those queuing for a good few hours to see a coffin or those who think that coffin is empty.  It's a close one.

It's quite clearly the ones queuing for hours.

Normally I'd agree, but in this case I'm less certain.

14 hours ago, Antlion said:

They’re doing it already. Various media outlets are saying 4.1 billion people will be watching. There are only around 1.7 billion TVs on the planet. They’re therefore claiming - and no one is questioning it - that more than half the world’s population will be watching, and every single TV will be tuned in to the funeral live.

That’s the state of the media in this country.

I can easily believe that at some point during the day 4.1 billion people will see some of the funeral even if it's only on a few second news clip.

Complete bollocks to suggest 4.1 billion people will "watch" the funeral.   Given the time difference I sincerely doubt many folk where I am will be  watching the funeral into the wee hours.  

Edited by hk blues

18 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

My mum is no longer eating or drinking. Probably living the dream for her as she’s existing solely on morphine but you can’t carry on like that for long. I could probably set up a coffin for her in my lock up and charge folk to visit if they want to skip the queues and get to see another old lady, boxed up, that they’ve never met.

I hope you're not planning carrying her coffin, your accident prone nature may lead to some accidentally hilarious event!

9 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
13 hours ago, supermik said:
Yes. If people like it or not, history is happening. Do you really want to say that you never saw it? There is not one person alive just now that will ever see another queen on the throne

Well yes, history happens all the time, that's what history is. Today history will be made as Thistle play Cove in a Championship match for the first time. Do you really want to say that you never saw it?

A woman I knew at college mentioned that she was spending her savings to take her family on a trip to visit the Millennium Dome, which was universally accepted to be risible shite. When we all expressed surprise, her reasoning was that it was historic and that her kids would always be able to tell people they'd seen it. When they got back, she complained bitterly about what a waste of time it was, and the kids were bored stupid.

What a memory that must be. Priceless.

Am I the only one who gets a bit peeved at King Chuck being described as a committed environmentalist (TV this morning) - it seems to me he's not committed enough to make any substantial changes to his lifestyle, if he was really committed he could start by foregoing those exemptions to environmental laws his old ma negotiated during her reign. I would hate to think that the sacrifices are going to made mainly by the hoi polloi.

Apologies if I've missed this point being raised previously in the thread but I've only dipped in and out.....

14 minutes ago, btb said:

Am I the only one who gets a bit peeved at King Chuck being described as a committed environmentalist (TV this morning) - it seems to me he's not committed enough to make any substantial changes to his lifestyle, if he was really committed he could start by foregoing those exemptions to environmental laws his old ma negotiated during her reign. I would hate to think that the sacrifices are going to made mainly by the hoi polloi.

Apologies if I've missed this point being raised previously in the thread but I've only dipped in and out.....

I read this under a photo of his private jet taking off from Edinburgh other day and thought it was a strange juxtaposition.

15 hours ago, coprolite said:

A funeral isn't really much of a historical event is it? Can't remember a single royal funeral in any history books. A faor few deaths right enough, but we already missed seeing that. 

Once you've seen an old black and white newsreel....

horse drawn carriages, black suited figures, slowly walking...

overlaid with the 'Death March' music.....

You've seen them all, really.

44 minutes ago, beefybake said:

Once you've seen an old black and white newsreel....

horse drawn carriages, black suited figures, slowly walking...

overlaid with the 'Death March' music.....

You've seen them all, really.

As with most videos, they’re hilarious sped up with the Benny Hill music dubbed on.

41 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

There appear to be guards guarding the guards guarding the guards guarding the box.

An element of mistrust?

Queen lies in state

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

Wendy Carlos' version of Purcell's Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary should be played on loop in Westminster Hall.