Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

14 hours ago, Aufc said:

You don’t need to preach to me about the royal family. However, I won’t deny that the Queen has been a pretty good servant all her life considering it’s not something she really wanted to do.

What did she actually do though that constitutes being a "good servant"? No one has ever been able to explain this to me.

42 minutes ago, milhouse said:

What did she actually do though that constitutes being a "good servant"? No one has ever been able to explain this to me.

Do? She didn’t do anything. That’s the beauty of her.

(Also she didn’t die for a long time and something about God’s will. I don’t know that God wrote up the taxing list of “royal duties” - including reading letters, having lunch, and meeting dignitaries - but He clearly approved them. It’s certainly not the case that the government long ago invented a bunch of unnecessary PR jobs just to give constitutionally useless monarchs something to fill their days - no, sir.)

Here's a parallel: if Jimmy Carter had snuffed it this week, at the same age roughly as our Liz, it would have been "that's quite sad, I remember him from years ago, decent guy, bit of a rubbish President, hey ho and Dead Pool points for TTB"

Here it's shut everything down until the funeral whether you care or not 

7 hours ago, Antlion said:

I find a curious amount of cognitive dissonance going on with the monarchists - all the time, really, but particularly at times like this.

As you say, monarchists want us to respect the royals’ grief and privacy because they’re “just like any other family”. But at the same time, they want the Windsors to remain elevated above all other families, and put on display as sideshow freaks.

Monarchists are also busily shouting down anyone who condemns the historic acts carried out in the name of previous monarchs (because they’re nothing to do with her!). But at the same time, they want to claim that a benefit of the monarchy is that it’s an unbreakable thread running through history.

Monarchists are crowing about the royals’ impartiality and lack of political influence. But at the same time they’re claiming she’s been an invaluable asset to the major politicians of her day.

Monarchists are crying about the duty and devotion the queen displayed until death, as though she didn’t choose it. But at the same time, that means they’re supporting a system which literally works nonagenarians to death.

Monarchists are beeling at folk for daring to question the monarchy (because it’s apparently disrespectful at this time). But at the same time, they want the institution to be front and centre of people’s minds right now.

Essentially this, the pro-monarchy position is a clear example of cakeism.

During her reign Liz used the "Queens Consent" to seek changes to proposed legislation over 1000 times protecting her own interests and I see no reason why the she (and the RF) should be above criticism as many of their supporters want when arguably her preoccupation was grifting., I certainly don't agree with the selfless, mother of the nation, line that is being pedaled by the MSM.

The monarchy doesn't actually do anything meriting all the attention it receives. Beyond resenting there being no fitba this weekend because we're all supposed to be grief striken over a 96 year old finally popping her clogs I find the best policy is just to ignore royal hatches, matches and dispatches and let all the weirdos who want to either go completely gaga or seethe to their heart's content over it.

On 09/09/2022 at 10:10, Granny Danger said:

I’m assuming that you’ll post the response.

I'm absolutely furious. Doesn't call, no letter or email, not even a divine sign. Instead I have to hear it from some Clerk of Works at the next blokes stint. I'm beginning to think this God character doesn't exist.

"The clerk of the council now speaks.

Whereas it has pleased almighty god to call to his mercy our late sovereign lady Queen Elizabeth.

9 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Dont think its from this week, but Robert Smith says what many of us think..............

The Cure are shite and Robert Smith is a one-trick-pony dime store Joker.

On 08/09/2022 at 21:16, BFTD said:

Be interesting to see if Chuckles can keep his mouth shut about politics now he's got the big job.

And what will happen if he doesn't.

"The working class can kiss my arse,

I've got the foreman's job at last"

Just heard live on the radio Chuckie swearing to uphold the primacy of the Church of Scotland and Protestant religion 

Staunch 

14 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

"The working class can kiss my arse,

I've got the foreman's job at last"

Just heard live on the radio Chuckie swearing to uphold the primacy of the Church of Scotland and Protestant religion 

Staunch 

I wouldn’t put too much faith in that - the man has form for taking religious vows he has no intention of keeping.

(Not in shot: his fingers crossed behind his back.)

DF837FCE-B71D-4786-BA6A-45BF2FD79711.jpeg

4 hours ago, btb said:

Essentially this, the pro-monarchy position is a clear example of cakeism.

During her reign Liz used the "Queens Consent" to seek changes to proposed legislation over 1000 times protecting her own interests and I see no reason why the she (and the RF) should be above criticism as many of their supporters want when arguably her preoccupation was grifting., I certainly don't agree with the selfless, mother of the nation, line that is being pedaled by the MSM.

Don’t forget this either

Hi Guys, here from Thailand, can't say much.

I'm no fan of any monarchy, but can I just post this.....

posters keep posting about the 'german this and that' 

I'm really uneasy about this has a person that lives overseas and have a son and daughter...... When will they be accepted as a 'local' will it take 100 years, hope not.